Author Topic: Otter flip pole down the hole...  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
Otter flip pole down the hole...
« on: Mar 27, 2020, 09:07 PM »
While moving my Otter flip to a new spot (10 or 15 yards) , one of my adjustable poles slipped down the hole I was leaving. Long story short, lippy suggested that I try to catch it with a jig. I could see it ( 13 fow with my head covered with my coat ) and with a borrowed  1/2 oz. jig, I snagged it within 5 or so minutes. Caught it on the lock thumb screw....

Learned a few things.
Put the poles away, before a move.
Pack a large white tube jig for recovery purposes.
Take your friend to give you good ideas and moral support...😁

Have a safe weekend   :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Otter flip pole down the hole...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2020, 04:00 AM »
Same thing happened to me. Clam flip over. Only had small ice jigs with me. Still there in 18 fow.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2020, 07:00 AM »
Haven't lost one to the hole, but have come close.  Now, when packing up we just slide the sled over the holes.  Keeps things from falling in, or people stepping into a hole while packing up.
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2020, 12:47 PM »
Actually mine went in on setup. Went down the second hole. Had the top pulled over. Never considered it happening. Live and learn!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2020, 03:49 PM »
Haven't lost one to the hole, but have come close.  Now, when packing up we just slide the sled over the holes.  Keeps things from falling in, or people stepping into a hole while packing up.
That's a very good idea!!! :thumbsup: :flex: :clap: :bow:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2020, 11:05 PM »
I caved and purchased a magnet rated for 300lb from sportsman's guide this year for $30.  Haven't used it yet. I finally added a "good" Shimano to the mix after years of wishing.  Also I have a few custom rods in the rack. Figured for the price of even one of my Sienna's I have an improved chance of recovery.  Even the smaller Trout & Lakers's can bang it pretty good. I lost one down the hole in 80' of water a few years ago.  Jigged it up after 30 minutes using another 3/4 oz tube. 16" Mac still on.  Since then I usually jig with both hands but once in a while a guy needs to make some coffee, take a leak or soak a dead stick 15' away.
Fish, Ducks & Elk seem sense the perfect time though.

Anybody else try something similar? Results?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.