The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ice Conditions?  (Read 1048 times)

Offline RB

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Conditions?
« on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:58 AM »
Kinda new to Maine ice so not sure what to think about this upcoming warm spell. The pond I’ve been fishing had 15+“ 2 weeks ago, 10” last week. Any thoughts after the next few days of record warming?

Thanks

Offline MRC2572

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Conditions?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:43 AM »
Snow should keep it insulated and nights are still below freezing so there is a chance

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2018, 09:45 AM »
That fresh blanket of snow bought us some time.  just be careful on the more popular lakes, holes from Saturday barely froze over that night before the snow started and blanketed them. Yesterday I was afraid of the kids we had with us finding one.

Offline caught_the_fever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:54 AM »
I'm thinking you're likely safe - was on a small pond in Southern Maine this past Saturday following the issued warnings and I could have driven my car on the pond as there was a good 15" of quality ice.  While this mid-week warmup will cause some ice loss, I would expect safe conditions based upon the aforementioned and cooler temps at night.

This stated, if you're not familiar with a pond or a lake use caution, particularly if fishing around any inlets w/ moving water and/or springs. 

Good luck and be safe!

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2018, 01:36 PM »
I'm seeing 40 deg nights forcasted . Nothing Below freezing intil maybe Thursday night and that's still forecasted for mid to upper 20s.  The next few days will soften things up on southern Maine for sure.

I bet they're   wishing they did the Sebago derby this last weekend.  I hope this warm week doesn't hurt the big lake to much ??? It will surely reduce the available areas to fish . With that derby people always want to push the extreme edge of safe ice .

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2018, 03:11 PM »
The key to keeping ice, any ice, is snow pack on top.  Generally speaking, you won't lose a lot of of ice until the snow pack is melted off.  At that point, we will start losing ice from the bottom side up, adding to the perils. Keep in mind, we are getting to the time of year where "spring like conditions" are eventually going to win out.  Just did a snowmobile ride in central Maine with the family on three different lakes, where the ice is good it's still plenty safe, where the ice is bad, it's going fast or non existent.  South facing shores are already showing signs of these spring like conditions i eluded to, be smart and be safe. tipup:

Offline RB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2018, 06:47 AM »
Thanks all for the good advice, going to play it safe and fish further north. Coastal ponds not looking good in my opinion

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.