The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hog Island Report 2/7/24  (Read 808 times)

Offline jbritch

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hog Island Report 2/7/24
« on: Feb 07, 2024, 12:24 PM »
I got on the ice at Tabor Point at 8:30, lots of guys out there.  Why not?  It was a beautiful day and no wind.  I brought my 8" hand auger again thinking that we'd lost some ice but then wished I'd brought the Jiffy 3.0, we've now got a good solid 10".  And, bonus, because the lake level is so high, there's plenty of water close to shore.  You'll need your crampons; it's hard walking without 'em.

I set up pretty close to my favorite hole and found about 14 feet of water.  The bait this time was a lot better with more of the good-sized minnows.  The bite started with the first minnow and stayed one-after-another until I ran out of bait and left at noon.  And, big bonus, the perch were much bigger than last time, well, at least until I got down to the smallest pinheads and then they tended to be smaller.  I had two terrific strikes that I surmised were pike. Still got plenty for the family to have a real fish fry.

You can see my old rig with the silver spoon.  One guy came walking by and said he used to use one like that to catch smelt.  I said it works pretty good for perch, too.

We've got 200,000 acres of lake and there's no need to set up right next to someone else... but a couple of Quebecers who recognized me from last year asked to set up right next to me.  I tried to pleasantly guide them to other spots so they took off walking and made it across the pressure crack and almost to Maquam Shore... a couple of hours later they came walking back without a single perch between them and asked again if they could sit by me.  Again, I tried to be pleasant and guide them out to deeper water but after awhile they came back again, still without a perch in their pail.  In fact, I don't think anybody else got much besides me; I heard one guy say he had one little one.

Paraphrasing Daniel Boone, if you can smell your neighbor's auger exhaust, he's too close.  Every time they'd move they'd drill 6 holes but only fish out of one each for a few minutes with bibbets, not very productive.  And, they were using a 10-inch auger.  I thought that was outlawed??

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Hog Island Report 2/7/24
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2024, 07:21 PM »
Nice report!  If you struggle to catch perch in that neck of the woods there's an issue. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.