Author Topic: TFB and mackdaddy21 and our ice season 2/4 pike pg3  (Read 8656 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
TFB and mackdaddy21 and our ice season 2/4 pike pg3
« on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:51 PM »
Well, I started a thread about mackdaddy21 and I. We almost always fish together and take photos of each other's fish, and since mackdaddy21 can't figure out how to post pics, I will post both of ours. Also because he has better pics this ice season to post lol. I've caught bigger fish of each species (besides brown) but I don't have the pics to show for it. Seems when I get one someone has a fish on their sonar or are fighting one. lol. Oh well, I still love icing!

Start off with a bang. 38" 20.8 pound pike caught by mackdaddy21

mackdaddy 21 and a 7 or 8 pound northern. I can't remember the weight

mackdaddy21 and a small pike he caught on a small spoon fishing for perch. He had 2# test and the fish took it deep but it still didn't bite off. It was a miracle; I've had several bite offs this year with 6# fishing for perch but he gets one with 2#. lol

[/img]

me and a small pike 23" I think

A photo of a monster northern I got (in fact much bigger than mackdaddy21's in fact) that was in the hole but I never got him out. I almost pulled him out at one point (had his gill plate) but he thrashed so much and then bit off. He was very, very, very huge.

Later all!
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

hali-man

Re: TFB and mackdaddy21 and our ice season 1/5 PIKE
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:54 PM »
...since mackdaddy21 can't figure out how to post pics, I will post both of ours.

Great job, TFB! Those are some real nice red Xs...  :D

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2006, 07:57 PM »
Sounds like some real nice fish, all I see is some real nice x's....

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:01 PM »
How are they now ;D
Lol I had extra img tags. That was dumb.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

camo_fish

« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:13 PM »
very nice pike, WTG, looks like your finally on the ice.  :thumbsup:

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:24 PM »
What is it with you guys sticking your tongues out for fishing pictures?  Is it a Colorado thing that I just don't get?
The one picture where you're smiling looks good.

(If this is a physical condition that I didn't know about, then I apologize)
Ken                                          

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2006, 09:24 PM »
The last pic is awesome!!!!"The one that got away" Nice pike :)

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2006, 11:00 PM »
What is it with you guys sticking your tongues out for fishing pictures?  Is it a Colorado thing that I just don't get?
The one picture where you're smiling looks good.

(If this is a physical condition that I didn't know about, then I apologize)

I was wondering the same thing about the tongues!  Gotta be an overwhelming excitement thing though!!!  At least.... I know if I was able to tie into some Northern's that big... I'd prolly be making some pretty goofey faces!! LOL

Awesome pics TFB!!  Can't wait to see more!

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2006, 06:41 AM »
I think mackdaddy has a little Ted Nugent action going on there with those pike :cookoo:

whack'em and stack'em!! 

NICE PIKE!!  Too bad on the lost slammer...

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:29 AM »
Nice pike, great Nugent look :o.

Offline Pike an Eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Dead Sea 04"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2006, 07:35 AM »
Nice toothies, WTG,  I was just getting nervous thinking Ozzy more than Nugent.
and he might bite the head off of one  :o

Offline Fish Wolf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:07 AM »
I'm from Co and was trying to figure out the tongue thing myself. To each his own I guess. Nice fish though

Offline Eddie Flo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:08 AM »
great pike mackdaddy hope more pictures are on the way wtg
Flags up... Fish on!

Offline mikeyc0203

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ayooooooo
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:20 AM »
Thats a nice size pike..hopefully i will get out to get a nice size pike this year because that fish is the main fish i wanna catch this year..nice job  :clap:

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2006, 10:54 AM »
Any idea on how big "the one that got away" was?  Looks huge

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2006, 11:00 AM »
Awesome fish guys...... :thumbsup:

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2006, 11:40 AM »
Any idea on how big "the one that got away" was?  Looks huge
it was longer and fatter than md21's big one. It was mid 40" range if I had to guess. I'm thinking 25-30 pound class but may have been a new record (current is 30 pounds 6 oz I believe in CO). I could've gaffed it and killed it, and then surely would've got the fish (I just couldn't hold onto it after all because it was so slimy and strong and it was thrashing too much in the hole), but since the lake has a low pop of pike and it is shrinking, and there is no bag limit on pike statewide, I didn't kill it. I don't regret it either. Beat my personal best 40"+ pike from the yampa river this year in late july.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2006, 11:43 AM »
Hey does anyone know what happened to my pm's? I don't have the options to pm anyone and I can't view profiles? What's wrong?

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:00 PM »
Very funny I didn't violate any Terms of Service so what is the problem?

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:05 PM »
Good point. I'd be in clear violation of that rule.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:19 PM »
Nice toothies TFB and MD21. I thought they were really hard to catch out there though. Not trying to  be a smarta**, just looks that you're tying into lots of big fish when last year you seemed to have trouble. New spot? ;)

Offline Tecumseh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:33 PM »
nice pike :tipup: men
stormy TROUT!

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:48 PM »
Hey does anyone know what happened to my pm's? I don't have the options to pm anyone and I can't view profiles? What's wrong?

I tried sending ya a pm, but it says your box is full...

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2006, 12:54 PM »
Nice toothies TFB and MD21. I thought they were really hard to catch out there though. Not trying to  be a smarta**, just looks that you're tying into lots of big fish when last year you seemed to have trouble. New spot? ;)
well, last year we started catching them. Before, it was always very difficult.  Switching from wire to floro for leaders is definitely the biggest factor. Also, before we jigged a lot more for pike,  using pike jigs like jigging raps. They didn't work. The pike here are a lot less numerous, and are fairly inactive in the winter due to such a low disolved oxygen content. So, we figured setting tipups was our best bet, and once we found a good spot set the tipups and not leave. We jig sometimes for perch and other panfish, and stocker trout if they are in the lake. Sometimes, with these tiny jigs, we catch pike. We catch a lot more pike with tiny perch jigs than we ever did with jigging raps and other things. Course, we lose a lot of perch jigs too to the toothy monsters, light line, small jigs, and big fish don't match. Pike fishing here in CO is very slow in the winter compared to what you guys up north have, but we have some big pike so it is well worth the wait IMO.

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2006, 02:28 PM »
Those are some great fish!  What's your setup?  Live bait?  Dead bait?  Depth?
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

PIKEGUY

« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2006, 03:06 PM »
well, last year we started catching them. Before, it was always very difficult.  Switching from wire to floro for leaders is definitely the biggest factor. Also, before we jigged a lot more for pike,  using pike jigs like jigging raps. They didn't work. The pike here are a lot less numerous, and are fairly inactive in the winter due to such a low disolved oxygen content. So, we figured setting tipups was our best bet, and once we found a good spot set the tipups and not leave. We jig sometimes for perch and other panfish, and stocker trout if they are in the lake. Sometimes, with these tiny jigs, we catch pike. We catch a lot more pike with tiny perch jigs than we ever did with jigging raps and other things. Course, we lose a lot of perch jigs too to the toothy monsters, light line, small jigs, and big fish don't match. Pike fishing here in CO is very slow in the winter compared to what you guys up north have, but we have some big pike so it is well worth the wait IMO.

Cool, I am gonna have to try Flouro leaders. We catch good numbers of pike here, but we seldom get a decent sized fish. Maybe switching leaders will be the ticket!

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2006, 03:28 PM »
We use between 15 and 60 pound floro based on the setups. The big one was caught (both of them actually) on a 20 pound floro setup. Since using livebait is illegal in western colorado, or anywhere in colorado I believe above 6500 ft in elevation (which is a ton of places), we have to use deadbait. We use dead anchovies 5-6" from sportsman's warehouse. We rig them on a quick strike rig and have a small sinker 8" above it or so. Most of these fish were caught in 11 fow with the tipup set 1 foot off of the bottom. We've caught them as deep as 20 fow and as shallow as 8 fow. 1 foot off the bottom has been the ticket so far.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2006, 03:40 PM »
Sweet looking fish
Nothing like that where I fish

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: TFB and mackdaddy21 and our ice season 1/8 TROUT pg3
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2006, 11:03 AM »
here's some trout mackdaddy21 and I have caught this ice season. Almost all of them caught out of that 15 foot deep water golden zone. Usually spoons tipped with nightcrawlers.

check out this one. 15 or 16" is all can't remember, but caught on a 3/8 oz white bucktail. He was very unhealthy. Hope he doesn't have a heart attack lol.

20+" bow. Caught first drop at vega of the year.

As always many more pics to come.

Offline OGGYDOGGY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH ON!!
Re: TFB and mackdaddy21 and our ice season 1/8 TROUT pg3
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2006, 06:45 PM »
Maybe he licked the pike thouuuu!!!thouuuu!!! , :P yuk! if they taste anything like they smell. Nice fish .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.