Author Topic: Guess this fish.  (Read 15362 times)

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
Guess this fish.
« on: Jan 18, 2006, 12:15 AM »
Snapped a quick pic of this fish. Anyone know the species of this beauty???
Tbone and Fish-slayer I know you guys know.

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Guess this fish.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2006, 01:36 AM »
It's in the Salvelinus family.....Bull Trout, maybe a huge Dollie?  Bull Trout!

Grizz

Offline jigs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • only those that know enjoy
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2006, 05:54 AM »
Snapped a quick pic of this fish. Anyone know the species of this beauty???
Tbone and Fish-slayer I know you guys know.

(Image removed from quote.)

Not sure Terry but think it may be a Northern Perch, everything is bigger in the North   

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2006, 12:46 PM »
It's a laker buddy. Just a plain ole laker (beat up I might add). Is this a serious question? Head is too big to be a bull and there's no dollies where TGF was.

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline tbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2006, 01:38 PM »
Hmmm....that is quite possible from a connecting arctic water shed! It's funny how different some species look in there full maturity... ;)

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2006, 01:45 PM »
Salvelinus none the less....was thinking it might be a blonde laker....looks like it's been stewin in the cooler for awhile :D.

You guy's ever chase bull trout?  Pic's

-Grizz

PIKEGUY

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2006, 01:47 PM »
looks 5 days dead to me ;)

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2006, 01:49 PM »
the tail is not forked like the lakers down here may be brook or splake.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2006, 01:50 PM »
It's a laker :blink: :blink: :blink: :unsure: Not a brookie. They don't get that big here. No splake here.

-Thoreau

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2006, 03:15 PM »
 Im not where you think I was on that day PGKris;D. I was in region 6 that day. Someone got it correct so far. Stay tuned ;D

lunkerlaker

« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2006, 03:56 PM »
go to yahoo.com type in bull trout there is a web site called fish B.C. and what do ya know there is a pic of a bull trout!  and the explanation between a dollie and bull trout. 

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Looks like a laker to me.....
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2006, 04:16 PM »
I'm still going with laker.

-Thoreau

grumpymoe

« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2006, 04:27 PM »
I'm still going with laker.
....impossible to be a laker....period.....wr ong tail.....Grump  ;D   its a bull trout

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2006, 04:34 PM »
....impossible to be a laker....period.....wr ong tail.....Grump  ;D   its a bull trout

Yeah OK the tail looks a little flat but I've seen stranger. That is just not the head of a bull trout. And if TGF was in region 6 like he says he was, there ain't no bulls there, only dollies. And again, wrong head for a dollie. He probably photo-shoped it and is just messing with us :P :P Although the fins are tipped white. I still say laker.

-Thoreau

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2006, 05:57 PM »
No not a laker or a bull trout....I guess I should have fanned out the tail and you'd see its fairly square. The angle of the camera is fairly down so distorts the head a bit. I don't know how to use photo shop? Sorry ;D
Its a dolly varden.

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2006, 06:15 PM »
AWESOME fish terry i knew it wasnt a laker . Looks like the splake i catch here or a hatchery brookie with blah colors . Dolly huh never seen one.  Are they primarily way north like Char i dont think we have them here in the states.

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2006, 06:57 PM »
That is one dandy of a dolly varden Terrygf, your a trickey one ;D.

PGKris had me goin-thought he was in on the deal with you on that fist post. 

-Grizz

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2006, 07:06 PM »
TGF, don't they also call them artic chars? or was this a sea run fish? 
It's a dandy either way ;D  Keep posting those big fish and I 'm going to show up about a month earlier than I usually do in that neck of the woods ;D  When does the ice go out? ;)

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 18, 2006, 07:22 PM »
Well I knew it wasn't a brookie as it doesn't have the vermiculations on the dorsal surface. Definitely in the char family with white edged ventral fins and a dark background with light markings.

Wow that's a big Dolly isn't it? 

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2006, 08:18 PM »
That is one beat up trout lol Battle wounds. I'm pretty sure artic char are different from Dolly Varden's. Theres dolly's,brookies, lakers, and bulls all in the same family or at least all look alike :) am i missing any?
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:56 PM »
TGF, don't they also call them artic chars? or was this a sea run fish? 
It's a dandy either way ;D  Keep posting those big fish and I 'm going to show up about a month earlier than I usually do in that neck of the woods ;D  When does the ice go out? ;)

April in most parts but late May at higher altitute.

Taxidermist: Thats my personal best dolly. 11lbs 4oz. I think I will get the pic framed for my wall.

Offline springer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 18, 2006, 10:58 PM »
Great pic dude.

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2006, 02:41 AM »
That is one beat up trout lol Battle wounds. I'm pretty sure artic char are different from Dolly Varden's. Theres dolly's,brookies, lakers, and bulls all in the same family or at least all look alike :) am i missing any?

Arctic Char are different from Dolly Varden, though the difference is small (minute)!  Your only missing 14-15 (and many more lesser known) subspecies's of the Salvelinus genere!

As far as the "head" (PGKris) of a subspecies of fish is concerned.....they very from drainage to lake or lake to drainage or age differences......there are many variables concerning differences with in a species.  JMHO.

-Grizz

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2006, 06:47 AM »
How cool is that.  Man, having all those different species of salmonids swimming around up there.  God damn man!!  How many species of Char could you catch in one body of water up there, TGF?

Offline Oldfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2006, 10:42 AM »
Terry-  you should take a closer look at your fish- its a bull trout (Salvelinus confluentus)  ???  keep in mind those pics you see in the fishing regs don't show all life stages and colors.  By the way- at least one of the lake trout you guys killed was a spawner last fall (did you wonder why it was so colourful). . . ::)  Those fish you killed were likely older than all three of you by a longshot-  ask yourself  "Would I cut down all the old hardwood in my front yard- If you answered no- then why are you doing the very same thing to our lakes? If you take all those old fish out you won't seem anything like it again in your lifetime unless of course you fish for salmon which top out at eight year for those monster Kalum fish. . . i.e once they are gone they are gone--- go kill some rainbows or brookies if you need the meat!

Offline Oldfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2006, 11:08 AM »
I almost forgot- PGKris- region six is full of bull trout- you are more likely to encouter a bull trout there than a dollie in most places, unless of course you like to catch 6 inch fish.  The only dollies that would even approach 11 pounds would be sea-runs and they certainly would not be found in a lake in winter! They would be out feeding in the 'chuck.

If you don't believe me re: bull trout in region 6 check out this report. . .

http://www.cfdcnadina.ca/pdf/MoriceWFSP/MoriceWFSP-Final.pdf

PIKEGUY

« Reply #27 on: Jan 19, 2006, 11:36 AM »
Who are you to tell these guys they can't keep a fish within their limts? ??? I know these guys don't do it very often and TGF is not a person who kills alot of fish.

Offline tbone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 19, 2006, 12:30 PM »
Who are you to tell these guys they can't keep a fish within their limts? ??? I know these guys don't do it very often and TGF is not a person who kills alot of fish.

Well said Pike Guy. Oldfish' bleading heart has good intentions I'm sure, however miss placed they are! I catch and release almost everything I catch (hundreds of fish every year). There are other commercial and environmental issues that might be a concern, but not a couple locals within the governmentally stated regulations. But then again I digress, as this is a fishing website not environmental activist lobby................. .................

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #29 on: Jan 19, 2006, 01:37 PM »
"One of the lake trout you killed"

Hmmm, thats not a very pleasent way of putting things. The last time I checked, fish are a naturally reproducing species, which means the big fish he caught and "kept" will be replaced with another. Much like the hardwood forests you were raving about. You have to remember that our lifetime is a joke in terms of time. You can say "well it only takes one generation to destroy millions of years of work" and well you'd be right to some extent, but I don't really think to many of us on this board are out to do that.
I'm an avid bass fisherman, to the point of obsession, but I don't freak out everytime I see a guy and his kid on my home lake take their fish limit. Do I feel dissappointed, yes, would I rather they put back the 5lb fish, absolutly, but some never get the chance to catch a 5lb fish, some will never catch their limit again, so I don't sweat it. I know I'm doing my part and I feel that after a little experience, most anglers are aware of the rights and wrongs of our sport, morally or otherwise.

TGF, nice fish, certianly one that I'd be proud of.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.