Michigan > Ice Fishing Michigan U.P.

Hitting the bay one more time tomorrow and the shanty is coming off...

(1/1)

mjbuck:
After a great start to this season in 38 feet of water a the head of the bay between L'Anse and Baraga (off the willow tree), the last half of the season was horrendous.  I was catching everything from Splake, Coho and Herring regularly.  I even caught a couple of small steelhead.  Then it just stopped and I mean stopped.  Not only were they not biting, but I wasn't even seeing but a few each day on my camera.  In the early half the season, I would regularly see a few dozen fish a day, sometimes way more, sometimes less.  Now, I'm lucky if I see three or four a day.  And to frustrate things even further, they don't bite.  My fishing partner did catch a very large Whitefish last week.  I saw six of them on the camera, but couldn't entice them to nibble.  They disappeared off screen, but a few minutes later Ed caught one.  I have been seeing an unusually large amount of smelt in the daylight hours.  They are at the bottom and seem pretty finicky so far.  Going out one more day tomorrow and pulling the shanty off for the year when I am done.  Remember, March 31 is the date when all shanties have to be off.   Good luck out there and be safe.  Although with the cold temps for the next 10 days, I'm guessing we will have safe ice for the next little bit. 

BowHunter1527:
I’ll be down this weekend as well. Caught 3 splake and a coho last Sat out there. I wasn’t all that far from those house, couple hundred yards. 45 ft if water.

Depthfinder:
We noticed on inland lakes, the whitefish are more difficult to get as the ice fishing season progresses.  We can see them on the camera, but they are not interested in biting compared to early ice December/January.

sunup:
Might be easier to move shacks today if you can with 6-9" of snow and wind tomorrow.

Flag UP:
It was beautiful out there this afternoon. Once the snow quit it was windy but sunny. We caught 9 lakers out from the Whirl-I-Gig road parking lot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version