New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Small Boat Harbor  (Read 8724 times)

Offline viking king

• IceShanty Rookie
  • The ice man cometh.....
Small Boat Harbor
« on: Dec 24, 2010, 01:53 AM »
Was out on ice at 8 am and fished till about 4pm...I  drilled holes in my regular spot, set up and had nothing under me that my camera could see. Decided to move and had a fun day. Set up and put my camera down(8ft) and was rewarded to see a herd of Bluegill  ;D....Probably caught over 70 fish total with 14 in the bucket for home. 10 were Bluegill/sunny, 2 calico, 2perch...Lots and I mean lots of small "dinks"...but that camera made it so fun...Also caught 2 largemouth bass(biggest 14 inches) seen 2 pike and 2 smelt on camera....The gills would kill the minnows and fall for waxies on a Hali jig....These all seemed to be resident fish...Can't wait till the smelt show up to bring the pike in. Overall a fun day, back out at 9am......

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Small Boat Harbor
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:48 AM »
When the smelt show up you'll be lucky to catch a pike. Now is the best time for pike, once it's loaded with bait they'll be fat and happy and bites will be few and far between. I've been fishing there for 20+ years and it's the same every year when the bait shows up the fishing gets tough, not impossible but tough.

Offline Iceangler247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:57 AM »
I was out there yesturday from 8 till 5. Im pritty sure me and my buddys were talking to you for a while about your camera and stuff.
FLCC Fisheries Tech.

Offline viking king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:26 AM »
You one of the young guns from Derby????

Offline viking king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:35 AM »
Was back on the ice on Friday, pulled up another 50 or so fish with again only 13 coming home....Seen 2 pike in camera, one was big. I find that the smelt bring in more pike in the harbor. I usually do decent for them, just have to adjust my tactics. That large pike came flying into the camera range when I hooked a small gill and let him swim while getting another fish off my other rod. Also the perch aren't in yet. Seen several Largemouth bass,landed only one. I'll be out there today.....Yellow tent.....Good luck and tight lines..

Offline wnystxguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:57 AM »
we where talking chatting with you a bit wednesday i think viking... we where the 2 guys on the buckets infront of you...next time we come with a shelter..lol

Offline viking king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2010, 05:13 PM »
Stopped in to get my minnows at penrods and got a nice tip on landing more smelt... I small piece of egg sack netting does the trick. Their teeth get caught in the netting. Also had a discussion on cameras vs sonar units. When your in 25 feet of water or less you can't beat a camera. Over that and the lighting on the camera gets worse as you go deeper. Sonars are nice but not for everyone. That camera just makes the day so much more fun. Today I had a pike take(steal) my minnow twice. Seen bass,pike,steelie, catfish, and the usual dinks. Brought home 20 Bluegills.A great day on the ice and fish in my fridge for a nice meal during the week.

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:32 PM »
never thought of the egg sack netting, heard that guys use yarn for the smelt. Have any of you guys seen any minnows at the hole yet ?
Have not had a chance to get out and am gettin' mighty itchy to do so. Thanks for the posts from you folks who have been out
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2010, 07:16 PM »
A piece of cotton ball works the same way and imitates a grub pretty good also. When they bite pull them out of the hole and shake them off.

Offline slabspanker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i sell wood and wood products
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2010, 09:41 AM »
yes i use yarn all the time. have a few hot color in my box at all times.
wood is good

Offline viking king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:36 AM »
Cotton balls !!!!! Pure genius, I can try tying a few up on real small hooks...This may be the best idea since sliced bread....I use them for pike when they are in. I hook them almost mid section not to kill them and 3 to 4 feet down. That camera helps so when the pike swim up and are just looking, I can jig the bait so it entices them  to strike. Unbelievable results. Any tips you have are appreciated. I would like to put up a shaty for the season. Any tips??? Can't be out till Friday. If I could fish 24/7 I would. Like I said yellow/white tent, stop and say 'hey'....greg

Offline eldasilma

• IceShanty Rookie
  • global warming my butt
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2010, 11:22 AM »
got a hub hut for christmass want to try out soon! hope to see ya out there

coffee coffee who said coffee

Offline Ultralight108

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2010, 09:36 PM »
I was thinking about going out there tomorrow (Tuesday) I'll be in a Frabill hut I hope it won't be windy.

Good luck to all.
I like fishing on days that end in a "Y"

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2010, 10:34 PM »
10-20mph out of the west. Nowhere to hide at the harbor, hope you got anchors for that hut. Our general rule for Lake Erie is when they say the wind is 10-20 in the city add those numbers together and thats what it will be on the lake.

Offline PerchPirate97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2010, 11:27 PM »
Been out three times with the camera and flasher and havn't caught or seen anything that I would consider a "keeper" panfish, few pike cruising around. Had to have caught over 200 bluegills/pumpkinseeds with none over 6"

Offline sfirkbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who needs a 7ft pole? we have 2ftrs!!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 28, 2010, 12:38 AM »
ive been to the harbor twice this year so far and its a bunch of small fish with the occasional big one got a 12 in perch though biggest ive caught out of here so far

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2010, 01:22 AM »
The Harbor is a tough gig for sure. I've done week's of all midgets but if you're there at the right time it can pay off, if you're there when the fish move in it can be nonstop action but you have to put the time in just like anywhere else. It's not like other small lakes where you can move around and find fish in deeper water or another bay, it's a small harbor connected to a huge lake that is tough to access if not impossible on ice. Unfortunately the game plan there is to wait for the fish to come to you for the most part and be there when it happens. I've had seasons where you fish for weeks weeding through short fish and then BAM!! keepers, it might last a day or a week but it will happen sooner or later and Lake Erie can grow some good sized fish. The weeds are a big thing there too. The last couple seasons they have been cutting the weeds in the fall after the docks are out and with the weeds gone the fish just won't hold there very long.

Offline viking king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:10 AM »
Its Tuesday and the winds are hummin'...hope ultra got those wind anchors out.....I agree if you put your time in the rewards are nice fish. We already have brought home nice size fish. My best this year is a 10 1/2 inch crappie. Well don't count the 14" largemouth, wasn't a keeper. Lots of Bluegills nice size, and a few pumpkinseeds that were keepers. Yeah a lot of throw backs but never a dull moment. The bait fish haven't moved into the harbor yet. When they do it will be better. Look its the harbor, lots of traffic for a decent size piece of water. You won't get the numbers and sizes you get like out in the big lake or Chatauqua but we are doing what we love to do close to home and safe. Almost 10 inches of ice and I started fishing before Xmas....Hasn't happened in a long time...Friday, 40 and wind....Thinking I'm still going....

Offline Iceangler247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:29 AM »
any1 been out lately?
FLCC Fisheries Tech.

Offline viking king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2011, 11:37 AM »
Thats gotta be slick and dangerous today.....Temps are supposed to drop back into the 20's tonight and stay there for the rest of the week....Its tough to sit home when you have the itch....By the way, I might have a new spot for the Derby boys.....send me a message Chris....sit tight and stay safe....Gotta let that ice heal itself....
  Greg

Offline Instantperception

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2011, 02:14 PM »
any1 been out lately?

i was out last night.  posted a report on the conditions page.........shore ice wasn't looking great when i left at 6pm last night.....saw one 1 inch gap near the middle ramp..........if anything shore ice will be in rough shape......some guys were out today..........gonna hope to get out there tomorrow.

Offline Iceangler247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2011, 04:47 PM »
hopefully the cold thats coming back tonight will freeze it up real nice for this week
FLCC Fisheries Tech.

Offline Iceangler247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:22 PM »
any1 been out?
FLCC Fisheries Tech.

Offline Cswimmar24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:53 PM »
Goin out tomorrow let u know how I do

Offline Iceangler247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2011, 11:27 PM »
Goin out tomorrow let u know how I do

Good luck!

FLCC Fisheries Tech.

Offline viking king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2011, 06:17 AM »
Its gonna be a great year on the ice....Bring on 2011.....I'm still trying to figure out how to post my pic's on here.
Got a couple I would like to share...any help would be appreciated....

Offline Iceangler247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:54 PM »
you gotta use photo bucket... im not really sure how to do it either
FLCC Fisheries Tech.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2011, 04:23 PM »
open a free photobucket account and add your photos there. When they are on photo bucket put the cursor on them and below click on the img. code and they will be copied then paste to your post here.

Offline 12icashdollar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2011, 08:38 PM »
ya went to sbh yesterday tough as hell drilled prolly 8 or nine diffrent spots and moved to a new location and dropped the camera down and it litt up wit fish i saw bass perch craps and gills but they were all suspended but sill caught prolly 25 30 fish but just 3 keeps well typical sbh good luck see ya out there

Offline viking king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2011, 01:43 AM »
OK, here it goes...[/img]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.