New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: pickeral left on the ice  (Read 8010 times)

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: pickeral left on the ice
« Reply #90 on: Jan 14, 2011, 12:40 PM »

I want to try this... Sounds good...    How long will it last in the refrigerator before it goes bad?? Can the jars be boiled and sealed?? I would like to make some now and save it till our big spring trip....
Years ! ;)  But it's so good, you'll rarely have any left !
PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline tubby67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Keep it only if your going to eat it"
« Reply #91 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:28 PM »
So many ways to make Pickerel and they all sound so good. I usually release them, now I'm going to target them ;D :thumbsup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #92 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:33 PM »
Back up the pickling train.....if you cold pickle fish, always keep it refrigerated and use it within 30 days. If you can your fish using a pressure cooker, it is recommended that you use canned goods within a year.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline SSminnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #93 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:45 PM »
  Take those pickeral and pickel them!   Here's the recipe....fillet and skin your pickeral....leave in belly bones and just scrape the blood line at the top of the stomach cavity....wash them off. take your fillets and slice them into strips about 1" wide.  Then take a quart of white vinegar and 2/3cup of salt and mix well.........add your sliced pickeral to the jar then fill with the vinegar mixture....seal and put in fridge for 5 days.  After 5 days take out of fridge rinse fish (I like to use a collender) and let drain well.  The next mixture is as follows add 1 quart of vinegar to 3/4 of a quart of sugar and 2 to 3 tablespoons of pickeling spices.......mix well......if all sugar doesnt dissolve you may need to heat slightly (if you heat this up let it cool before ya add the fish).  Slice up some onion in rings.....then fill your Jar up with onions, fish ,onions, fish and so on till full....then add the liquid mixture to the jar and refrigerate for 5 more days and it's ready to eat.   --Enjoy     If you like Vita herring in the jar from the supermarket you will love this recipe....taste is the same.

that sounds disgusting, i will have to pass it along to my dad he would love it.  i think the only thing that should be pickled is cucumbers (pickles).

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #94 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:50 PM »
that sounds disgusting, i will have to pass it along to my dad he would love it.  i think the only thing that should be pickled is cucumbers (pickles).
Ya they are great  :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: pickled SLIME darts  :sick: :sick: :sick: to each there own. i will stick with perch and gill fillets ;D ;D
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #95 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:55 PM »
Ya they are great  :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: pickled SLIME darts  :sick: :sick: :sick: to each there own. i will stick with perch and gill fillets ;D ;D

Its better than hanging them from the hoop.... ;D ;D ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bogmanjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't Tread on Me.
« Reply #96 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:58 PM »

LOL  You be careful around boiling water there Buddy.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:07 PM »

i am still slime dart free. now tomorrow might ruin that  ??? :sick:

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #98 on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:12 PM »
LOL  You be careful around boiling water there Buddy.

No pressure cookers for me... ;D ;D ;D

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #99 on: Jan 14, 2011, 07:13 PM »
i am still slime dart free. now tomorrow might ruin that  ??? :sick:

I hope you catch at least 10 of them....... ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #100 on: Jan 14, 2011, 08:18 PM »
  Take those pickeral and pickel them!   Here's the recipe....fillet and skin your pickeral....leave in belly bones and just scrape the blood line at the top of the stomach cavity....wash them off. take your fillets and slice them into strips about 1" wide.  Then take a quart of white vinegar and 2/3cup of salt and mix well.........add your sliced pickeral to the jar then fill with the vinegar mixture....seal and put in fridge for 5 days.  After 5 days take out of fridge rinse fish (I like to use a collender) and let drain well.  The next mixture is as follows add 1 quart of vinegar to 3/4 of a quart of sugar and 2 to 3 tablespoons of pickeling spices.......mix well......if all sugar doesnt dissolve you may need to heat slightly (if you heat this up let it cool before ya add the fish).  Slice up some onion in rings.....then fill your Jar up with onions, fish ,onions, fish and so on till full....then add the liquid mixture to the jar and refrigerate for 5 more days and it's ready to eat.   --Enjoy     If you like Vita herring in the jar from the supermarket you will love this recipe....taste is the same.

That does sound a little freaky ... :unsure: but I'll try anything once ...or twice ... or even 3 times  :-X.  No really, pickeral are good eating (good thing they don't taste like they smell :sick:) so I may have to try that.  Had pickeral fish cakes ... they were awsome!

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Jan 14, 2011, 08:42 PM »
That does sound a little freaky ... :unsure: but I'll try anything once ...or twice ... or even 3 times  :-X.  No really, pickeral are good eating (good thing they don't taste like they smell :sick:) so I may have to try that.  Had pickeral fish cakes ... they were awsome!
all i can say is  :sick: :sick: :afro: :icefish:NO

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #102 on: Jan 15, 2011, 02:17 AM »
Anti Pikerelite!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Hammer614

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Jan 16, 2011, 12:19 PM »

I want to try this... Sounds good...    How long will it last in the refrigerator before it goes bad?? Can the jars be boiled and sealed?? I would like to make some now and save it till our big spring trip....
   I have had pickeled fish in my fridge for over a year and ate and it was fine.....no need to heat Jar ....or boil.  I have also found it's better to do the pickeling with fresh pickeral.....if you freeze the fillets and then thaw and pickel them the meat seems to fall apart......I think the freezing breaks down the muscle tissue in the fish and it becomes mushy.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #104 on: Jan 19, 2011, 07:27 PM »
man im eatin these slime dart or whatever you wanna call them patties right now and they are awesome! ;D im using the suggestions from the first page and they both taste great. thank you for the recipies, ran em through the grinder twice and aint felt a bone yet. picks will almost never let you leave without giving you a flag first! :tipup
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline Sunfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing
« Reply #105 on: Jan 19, 2011, 07:45 PM »
the guy probably couldn't pick it up to bring it home with all that slime on em ::)

Offline skidplate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Jan 28, 2011, 12:30 PM »
I still need to meet up with H.T. to get all your slime darts. ;p
I'm Gonna go to bed...I'm gonna change my pants and go to bed.

Offline callduckfarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:15 PM »
Looks like if you leave them on the ice, you are a law breaker.
Last Winter I saw a guy clean his blugills on the ice and dump all the carcasses down the hole on Hemlock Lake - a definate violation of the special rules on that lake. :nono:

If you don't want to let pickerel go, at least take them home for the garden.

From the NYS Fishing Regs:

Fish carcass disposal law
It is illegal to discard any fish carcass, or parts thereof, into the
freshwaters of the state within 100 feet of shore or upon any
public or private lands contiguous to and within 100 feet of
such water, except:
••On private lands by owners of such lands.
••If properly disposing into suitable garbage or refuse collection
systems or by burial.
••Where incidental cleaning of fish for consumption is permitted.
However, resulting waste may not be disposed of within
100 feet of any public launching or docking site unless into
a suitable refuse collection system.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Jan 28, 2011, 06:18 PM »
I still need to meet up with H.T. to get all your slime darts. ;p
you might want to wait on that my numbers are down this year. i have only iced 1 Hammer handle northern and NO snot rockets this year  ::) ::) YAAAAAAAA maybe i can go the rest of the year snot free ::) ::) ??? ALSO i would never throw a legal snot rocket or stink log on the ice ever. I would bring them home and hang them in the sun to dry  :cookoo: :cookoo: :sick: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: >:D

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #109 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:17 PM »
O.K, If we were to list 101 ways to skin a pickeral, I wonder what we might come up with?
Mine is: Put it under your bosses driver side seat and see how long it takes him to find it.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #110 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:31 AM »
you  can  prebait  for trapping   ;D  i knew  HT  would  be  in this  thread ...ben tring to  get  ahold of you!

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:38 AM »
you  can  prebait  for trapping   ;D  i knew  HT  would  be  in this  thread ...ben tring to  get  ahold of you!
you will find me today if you like on green point some where  ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.