Author Topic: Rapala Jigging Shad Rap  (Read 4331 times)

Offline {RPF}Rapala Pike Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "If you can't catch fish, your not using a Rapala"
Rapala Jigging Shad Rap
« on: Nov 20, 2005, 08:37 PM »
Has anyone here caught any perch on the new rapala jigging shad rap, i was wondering because i've heard people have, but in a magazine it says pike, walleye, bass, salmon, and trout, but no perch. If so what size and color was it.

Offline Fish-Doctor

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Rapala Jigging Shad Rap
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2005, 08:58 PM »

Yes.  I have used with pretty good success the W2 (1/8th oz.) and W3 (3/16th oz.) regular jigging raps tipped on the bottom treble with a few spikes.  I did pick up some of the jigging shad raps try and use this winter.  Have also picked up a couple of trout on them.
Fish-Doctor  -  Ken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2005, 09:05 PM »
Okay, thanks for the information, and i hope that i will catch a lot of fish this winter  ;D

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2005, 09:25 PM »
NO perch for me, but crappies seem to like it as well...tipped with berkely maggots

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2005, 09:32 PM »
The jigging shad raps are a little big for most perch, especially in lakes with small forage. However the #2 and #3 regular jigging raps work well tipped with a perch eye or single maggot. My favorite perch lures are small spoons or the nuclear ant.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:04 PM »
Well now they have a size #3 jigging shad rap which is a bit smaller, and most glow in the dark, has anyone tried these yet?

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2005, 02:53 PM »
I've never tried the Shad rap for perch, but I usually have luck on the smallest (not sure what size exactly) blue/silver jigging rapala with a couple of spikes on the end hooks... some say that this throws off the balance of the lure, but I guess the fish don't mind  :D
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline MSUICEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2005, 09:58 PM »
i agree on the chrome/blue size 2 jiggy rap.... i tip mine with a red luhr jensen egg (the licorice smelling ones). do real well on them early ice. definitely a trick to it, takes a while to figger em out.

steve

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2005, 10:14 PM »
any idea what the egg would represent to them? maybe a perch eye?
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline MSUICEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2005, 09:01 PM »
no idea, but i can guarantee they like it  ???  ;D

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2005, 06:58 AM »
In August of this year, I noticed zebra/quagga mussels being regurgitated from perch that I caught from deep water in Lake Erie. The shells were shattered into narrow shards and the tissue was there, so apparently they have evolved into mussel feeders. After consulting with the biologists, they said the perch were eating gobies that were eating the mussels. I didn't see any remains of gobies in the stomachs when I cleaned them. The shoreline beaches are littered in the sand with mussel shells, but most of them are shattered into the long narrow shards, not whole shells. The volmer teeth in the throat of the perch could be used to crush the shells so they could digest the mussels. Many times a fish will take a minnow, crush and scale it, spit it out with the loose scales and bones crushed, then swallow it so it could be digested better. Anyway, it may be a good idea to use mussel meat for bait, if they are not outlawed. 
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2005, 08:08 AM »
I've never tried the Shad rap for perch, but I usually have luck on the smallest (not sure what size exactly) blue/silver jigging rapala with a couple of spikes on the end hooks... some say that this throws off the balance of the lure, but I guess the fish don't mind  :D

SHHH!!!! that doesn't work for big perch ever!!! ;D

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2005, 05:04 PM »
Well i'll try out the jigging shad rap out and see if i catch any perch, and if that fails i bought a normal jigging rapala and will try the old fashioned method of tipping it with with some mousies or spikes.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2005, 04:30 PM »
You know...If you aren't getting them on the jigging Raps, there are a TON of OTHER jigs out there, that will out produce jigging Raps on a regular basis.  ::) You should give them a try!

-Zach

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2005, 05:13 PM »
Never!!!!!, haha just kidding. I know, thats why i have a tackle box full of backup lures ;)

Offline Spirit of the Wild

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2006, 05:24 AM »
I cant imagine why a jigging shad rap would not work. Here in NH every slob Perch Ive cut the bellies open and they were stuffed with baby bluegill. Some 1.5 in long. I bought a few to try. So far, 1 bass.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2006, 01:43 PM »
If the perch fail to bite a regular shad rap or jigging rap you can always add a dropper 2 or 3 inches below it. Use the lure to attract the perch and the dropper to nail them, a 1-2 punch for perch. :D

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.