New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD  (Read 1341438 times)

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE GEORGE BS THREAD
« Reply #9420 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:53 AM »
Be careful out there fellas, there was a 4wheeler sized weep hole 15ft from where I drilled a hole to fish with 7” of ice!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9421 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:37 AM »
Be careful out there fellas, there was a 4wheeler sized weep hole 15ft from where I drilled a hole to fish with 7” of ice!

What general area?     Some of the last ice to form may have some sketchy areas.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9422 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:42 AM »
What general area?     Some of the last ice to form may have some sketchy areas.

North east of crown was the last to freeze from what I saw.  The ice was <.5" 2 weeks ago.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #9423 on: Feb 07, 2019, 10:55 AM »
Good info man.  I just got into the jigging for laker game last year and enjoy hearing what you die hards have to say.  I find my self often asking myself if I should make a move.

It seems like you're doing good with it.  If I don't mark a trout in about 5 minutes I move about 50 to 75 yards at a time as you can go all day and not mark much and then pop 15 or 20 trout back to back in one hole.  It's just how I like to fish and works for me but things are different in the north basin versus south basin of the KING.  The north basin doesn't seem to have the numbers or steady action but the tactics are the same and you've got a realistic shot at bigger fish up there.  There's just a handful of jigs in a couple colors you need to have for LG lakers that pretty much work everytime and the rest is just finding active trout. 

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9424 on: Feb 07, 2019, 12:00 PM »
LG report from 2/6. Went solo out of Pilot yesterday from 6am to 3PM, got off just exactly as is started raining. Quiet day for me but ended up icing 2 lakers on the jig rod and one on a tip up, lost 2 or 3 others, and had a handful of chasers on the screen. I had traps out for salmon (zero flags) so I was a little tied to each area and didn't travel as far as I hoped. Started just off Point Comfort, stayed for about 4 hours then packed up and headed to Phelps Island. Drilled a ton of holes, nothing less than 5" anywhere, as much as 8" in spots close to shore. Fished from  Overall far fewer fish marked than I would have expected, but sometimes you're just not in the right spot.

Word of caution, several pressure cracks popped up during the day and I suspect the rain you got up there will be draining through them and weakening the ice.

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9425 on: Feb 07, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Great info flyfish413!
New to ice shanty today but I think I introduced myself to you yesterday out there. I remembered you saying you're from MA. Was fishing not far from you in my Camo portable blind yesterday. I ended up landing 3 Lakers, lost 3 near the hole and a few others chasing. Stayed in one spot all day. Hopefully it'll get cold and prolong the season.....

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9426 on: Feb 07, 2019, 02:33 PM »
Great info flyfish413!
New to ice shanty today but I think I introduced myself to you yesterday out there. I remembered you saying you're from MA. Was fishing not far from you in my Camo portable blind yesterday. I ended up landing 3 Lakers, lost 3 near the hole and a few others chasing. Stayed in one spot all day. Hopefully it'll get cold and prolong the season.....

Hey man yeah that was me, good meeting you! Sounds like you didn't have too bad of a day. Couple of the guys next to you I talked to caught 6 lost 3. Seemed like the deeper water was where the action was.

Offline NJ_ICE_HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Come on Cold!
« Reply #9427 on: Feb 07, 2019, 06:36 PM »
Coming up tomorrow from Jersey.  Was gonna hit Brant Lake on way up then George out of Hague for lakers.  Do I have to worry about ice conditions?  Getting a little worried after conflicting reports

Offline CaptainMike69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9428 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:10 PM »
Does anyone know the ice conditions at Vets Park in Bolton Landing? Thanks!

Offline rball

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9429 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:47 PM »
Renting a place on lake george in bolton march 14th 3 nights. Can we expect fishable ice this time of year?

Offline Steelhead5678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9430 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:54 PM »
LG report from 2/6. Went solo out of Pilot yesterday from 6am to 3PM, got off just exactly as is started raining. Quiet day for me but ended up icing 2 lakers on the jig rod and one on a tip up, lost 2 or 3 others, and had a handful of chasers on the screen. I had traps out for salmon (zero flags) so I was a little tied to each area and didn't travel as far as I hoped. Started just off Point Comfort, stayed for about 4 hours then packed up and headed to Phelps Island. Drilled a ton of holes, nothing less than 5" anywhere, as much as 8" in spots close to shore. Fished from  Overall far fewer fish marked than I would have expected, but sometimes you're just not in the right spot.

Word of caution, several pressure cracks popped up during the day and I suspect the rain you got up there will be draining through them and weakening the ice.

Offline Steelhead5678

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9431 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:57 PM »

.  Did you happen to get down around fort Ann beach, just curious on the ice thickness out of that area

Offline Brucebob7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9432 on: Feb 07, 2019, 07:58 PM »
Nice Fish !!!

Offline Icelife4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit the b***hin and start fishin
« Reply #9433 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:22 PM »
I was set up decently close to you also . You guys didn’t move all day I was in the one man clam that at one point was like 60 yards from you haha we landed 8
Great info flyfish413!

Offline Hardwater2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9434 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:39 PM »
I figured you boys had to be in them as well! Good to hear. Things got a tad slow at midday then I had a a real big fish on at 1:30 but couldn't seal the deal. Aft..picked up again nicely. Was a fun day of fishing out there..

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9435 on: Feb 07, 2019, 08:50 PM »
Renting a place on lake george in bolton march 14th 3 nights. Can we expect fishable ice this time of year?

Hit or miss given these current conditions.
Personally,  I'd say its about 10%. Probable from any well known access that will be trashed by then from others.  Private access may be different.
Its just my personal perspective.
That said,  there should be good access to other waters still in areas if not LG.

If and any,  I tell folks that February is the safe bet but who can control the weather.  Sometimes it don't freeze,  sometimes it. Lasts till April and you get sunburn

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9436 on: Feb 08, 2019, 08:39 AM »
Last year I fished in April, although public access near Bolton was shot a couple of weeks before that.  You have to find a place with no bubblers to fish late in the season.

Offline flyfish413

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9437 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:12 AM »
.  Did you happen to get down around fort Ann beach, just curious on the ice thickness out of that area

Lot of people walked out off the beach. Ice was rock solid everywhere I drilled from Pilot to Phelps Island. No less than 5" anywhere but no idea what the rain might have done. One dude parked his truck on the ice about 10 feet off the beach. Side note, the ice in entire area in front of the beach was smashed up and refrozen chunks of ice. It was clearly solid just sketchy looking. Everywhere else was nice clear ice.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9438 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:24 AM »
Last year I fished in April, although public access near Bolton was shot a couple of weeks before that.  You have to find a place with no bubblers to fish late in the season.

Yup.  I used public access  @)

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9439 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:31 AM »
Yup.  I used public access  @)

Me also into April last yea but we did not get the crap that's been happening for a week straight in February.  We were making ice

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #9440 on: Feb 08, 2019, 09:48 AM »
ice update

the white ice should be good to go this weekend (bays, south of diamond point, huletts south to narrows)

everywhere else will be touch and go.  below is a pic from today mid-lake off ft anne beach.   6"-8" of clear ice and then open holes.

After using my machine to access the lake last weekend, i will be walking this weekend.

Please use common sense and your spud bar this weekend.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9441 on: Feb 08, 2019, 10:49 AM »
Nice update lance. The black ice is degrading quickly.  Buddy who just sent me this pic made the safe choice and left the deep water.  The ice in this pic is not good.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9442 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:08 AM »
Nice update lance. The black ice is degrading quickly.  Buddy who just sent me this pic made the safe choice and left the deep water.  The ice in this pic is not good.

yeah that is straight honeycomb right there.   look at all those airbubbles  :o :o :o

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9443 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:17 AM »
I can't believe I read this:

???

Offline step2jimi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9444 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:20 AM »
I saw it too. I will be out Sunday very carefully but the ice is by no means safe. Safe for people with experience who know the lake and know what they're doing maybe but even we need to use extreme caution until it gets cold and locks the rotten ice back up.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9445 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:24 AM »
I can't believe I read this:

???

yeah dude! people are going to end up dead because of that stupid post.   I was glad to read the comments under it, lots of common sense putting that guy in his place.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9446 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:26 AM »
Someone sent it to me and I was a bit surprised.  I don't like throwing anyone under the bus but man that's some misinformation.  I hope all stay safe.  I'll be missing the lake until the 23rd.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9447 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:32 AM »
Well good news is we have some fairly cold weather coming in next week.  Single digits over night, teens and twenties during the day....atleast it's not in the 50's again!
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9448 on: Feb 08, 2019, 11:37 AM »
I'm all set with the 50's.  Winni this weekend (at least I am laker fishing) and the Ontario next week for 5 days.  Clean living! 

Offline delay18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9449 on: Feb 08, 2019, 12:02 PM »
Hoping to get out Sunday off Pilot Knob for the first time (Provided last night and this mornings rain didn't kill it). I will def be bring my spud bar and going out slow. Any particular area I def need to steer clear of?

Side note if you see an Eskimo Quickflip 2 stop by and say hi!

Rob
Rob

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.