New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Silver lake fishing  (Read 115660 times)

Offline mpsilverlake

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Silver lake fishing
« Reply #420 on: Jan 30, 2020, 03:35 PM »
Forgive my ignorance here but I’ve been content on the south end for a few years. Is there any access other than start park, standpipe and the town park?  I would love to get to the north end if possible. I think if I go another week without drilling some holes I may need physiatric help. (A trip up north may be more likely but a 5 hour ride from Wyoming county cuts into the fishing time) 
Thanks

Offline windburn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • take your kids fishin'
« Reply #421 on: Jan 31, 2020, 07:25 PM »
Maybe the country club on NW side? We have never gone out of there but I believe you can park there?

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #422 on: Feb 01, 2020, 06:55 PM »
For those of you that are considering going out tomorrow but may change your mind, here is the latest report.  Went out of Standpipe Rd and drilled the 1st set of holes in 28 fow then started South every 100 yds or so until I reached the Perry Town Park and then I drilled another 4 spots there.   Ice is 5" total with 3" black and 2" hard frozen white with only a dusting of snow on top.  There is a large crack running from Tuckers Livery across the lake to the West side.  Luckily the crack is only 2" wide, because it is froze over with only 1" of ice.  The bite at every location I tried was the same, very slow and the perch were short nothing over 6", I caught 32 from 8:30 am - 3:30 pm.  There were also quit a few fishermen out of the State Park on the South end and at mid lake out of Silver Lake on the East side.   Tried Plastics, Mousee, Spikes and perch eyes, and around 6 different jigs, none were any different then the other.  Don't understand why we caught a lot of 8-10" perch last year but nothing over 6" today.

Offline gregacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #423 on: Feb 02, 2020, 03:09 PM »
yea perch chaser i hear u ifish off silver grove the last 2 yrs limited out almost every time with 8-10. yesterday about 150 dinks an 4 8inchers. other than the last 2 yrs. this lake has had serious issues the last 10-12 yrs. i feel when they ended the walleye stocking in 1998 its been down hill. up to 2008 the eye an perch fishing was very good,since then pretty much 0 eyes an dink perch.If u get one it is usually 5-10 lbs.

Offline hwfoa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #424 on: Feb 02, 2020, 03:44 PM »
I think it has a lot to do with people keeping rediculous amounts of fish and expecting to not to change anything ,it’s not Lake Erie but it gets treated the same
JIG PAUSE JIGG JIGGG PAUSE

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #425 on: Feb 02, 2020, 03:50 PM »
Frogger- you summed this post up quickly.These fish don't reproduce over night.Too many guys with the " FILL THE FREEZER ATTITUDE.

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #426 on: Feb 02, 2020, 07:30 PM »
The other thing is deep water fishing. Baratrauma is a real thing. Unfortunately it’s a good bet that a lot of the 7s, 8s and dinks that are caught in 35’ and released probably don’t survive. Limiting usually means potentially killing lots of dinks amid the occasional keeper. I’m not innocent. I’ve caught my share of deeper perch, but this year I’m going to upsize baits to try to reduce catching small ones in deep water.

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #427 on: Feb 02, 2020, 07:33 PM »
If anyone lost a piece of gear while coming off the ice today at the state launch, PM me. If you correctly identify what I found on the shore when leaving the ice today, I’ll help get it back to you.

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #428 on: Feb 03, 2020, 07:34 AM »
A few from yesterday

Offline fredk1029

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #429 on: Feb 03, 2020, 10:48 AM »
Awesome fish!!  Congrats! Anybody been heading out by the golf course?

Offline Jakemanges123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #430 on: Feb 04, 2020, 07:55 AM »
They’ve been tough to find for a few years. But if you really search for them and find them you can have awesome days.

Offline Muskypike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #431 on: Feb 06, 2020, 11:33 AM »
Anyone have info on ice conditions off the state launch?

Offline fredk1029

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #432 on: Feb 06, 2020, 09:14 PM »
Can anyone report how the ice is and opinions for going out Saturday? I am hoping to get out there Saturday for first time out this year. This winter really stinks!!

Offline IceFever74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #433 on: Feb 06, 2020, 09:25 PM »
I fished the south end last Sunday. Moved around quite a bit looking for fish. Everywhere I drilled was 3.5” to 4”. Probably didn’t thin much this past week but probably didn’t get thicker either. Plus might have some snow on it by the weekend.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #434 on: Feb 06, 2020, 10:46 PM »
Can anyone report how the ice is and opinions for going out Saturday? I am hoping to get out there Saturday for first time out this year. This winter really stinks!!

As I said above in my report from Sat and most everyone else out last weekend the perch are small nothing larger then 6", so be prepared to catch a lot of small ones with an occasional perch you may want to keep.  Also talked to a few guys during the week and the perch bite and size was the same as reported earlier.

Offline fredk1029

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #435 on: Feb 07, 2020, 04:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I am just hoping not too much snow falls that way today too mess anything up. I am just looking forward to getting out no matter what I catch at this point this year. Hopefully won't be the last time I can get out. I have the whole day to burn on Saturday!

Offline ERIEPERCH

• No view profile
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #436 on: Feb 07, 2020, 03:15 PM »
Been killing the pike and gills. catching not fishing

Offline eddie the k

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #437 on: Feb 07, 2020, 05:07 PM »
Anyone been out today? How much snow down there and how's the ice? We were hoping to get down there tomorrow, but don't want to waist a trip. We are in lockport.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #438 on: Feb 08, 2020, 02:21 PM »
Been killing the pike and gills. catching not fishing
It seems you been killing the fish where ever you go.  Walleye, perch and large crappies at Honeyoe  to pike and gills at Silver, why stop there, why not report on the next lake,  ha ha  Lets see some pic's.

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #439 on: Feb 08, 2020, 03:06 PM »
This guy is the biggest lair on the the shanty right Joe

Offline ERIEPERCH

• No view profile
  • IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #440 on: Feb 08, 2020, 04:50 PM »
It seems you been killing the fish where ever you go.  Walleye, perch and large crappies at Honeyoe  to pike and gills at Silver, why stop there, why not report on the next lake,  ha ha  Lets see some pic's.

I fish everyday when there's ice.  20 big gills today

Offline Riddlefiddle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #441 on: Feb 08, 2020, 06:53 PM »
I have fished silver lake since i was a kid. You may be killing the pike, but not the gills or crappies.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.

Offline Muskypike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #442 on: Feb 09, 2020, 07:35 AM »
We were out yesterday by the state launch . Ice was 6” but at least half of that was white.  We just went after pike and got some nice ones. Slow in the am but picked up in the aft.

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #443 on: Feb 09, 2020, 08:08 PM »
Fished the North end out of Standpipe Rd and then Perry Beach today.  Set-up at least in 6 different spots, the ice was 5" hard with 2" slush and 1" of hard crust that you broke through in most spots making the walk and drag difficult without a smitty.  Silver did not get the amount of snow that most areas did.   There is only about an inch on the ice, but breaking through the crust into the slush made the difficult walk.  Not all spots showed fish but the ones that did, they were small crappies or small perch.  If this mess freezes the ice will be 8" plus.

Offline lazyjig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #444 on: Feb 10, 2020, 05:21 AM »
/nice pike

Offline Jakemanges123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #445 on: Feb 10, 2020, 10:18 AM »
I have fished silver lake since i was a kid. You may be killing the pike, but not the gills or crappies.

Just because you aren’t doesn’t mean no one is. They’re tough to find but once your on em it’s game over.

Offline sleddog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #446 on: Feb 10, 2020, 10:58 AM »
Just because you aren’t doesn’t mean no one is. They’re tough to find but once your on em it’s game over.
   I agree with that. I had a great day on Silver yesterday. Poor dude posts that he came home with 20 gills and is called a liar!

Offline eddie the k

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #447 on: Feb 10, 2020, 04:09 PM »
   I agree with that. I had a great day on Silver yesterday. Poor dude posts that he came home with 20 gills and is called a liar!
Gills and crappie are the only reason I go there.

Offline RyBoh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #448 on: Feb 13, 2020, 07:32 AM »
Does anyone know if Mack's sells pike chubs? Or the nearest place to Silver I could pick some up? Thanks

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #449 on: Feb 13, 2020, 08:10 AM »
Mack's doesn't sell bait any more.Higgins Family Bait  3834 W Lake Rd, Silver Springs, NY 14550
(585) 689-3186 Not sure what he has for bait.I haven't been there in a couple of years.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.