Author Topic: FL18 on a boat  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Pondbear

• IceShanty Rookie
FL18 on a boat
« on: Mar 16, 2019, 03:55 PM »
Can you use your flasher on s boat? I can't find out how to mount it and if it would even be effective

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: FL18 on a boat
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2019, 04:01 PM »
Can you use your flasher on s boat? I can't find out how to mount it and if it would even be effective
Call vexilar. They make a bracket you put on your transom. Seen them on e-bay as well.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2019, 04:08 PM »
Could put the ice ducer over the side of boat.works ok but a open water ducer kit mounts either thru hull or trolling motor mount.way better.use bottom lock on the fl18 in the boat also.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2019, 05:29 PM »
Works well out of the boat.  Easiest installation is to set the ice unit in the boat and hang the ducer over the side as stated above.  Some of the ice packages have a bracket for the unit than can be removed from the carrier.

I just used a couple small pieces of aluminium flat stock to mount mine to my kayak.  I just sit the transducer on the floor and it will shoot straight through the hull.

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2019, 06:55 PM »
I made mine out of CPVC pipe and a rubber couple.  The puck fits inside of it and just  hang CPVC bracket on the side of the boat  I've been using it for 5 years and it works fine.  The only issues I've had is when a pontoon boat gets to close to me it causes interference on the screen.  Unknown why.   I get the same interference in the winter when I"m fishing and old gravel pit and the active pit is over a 1/2 mile away when they run certain equipment.  When to close up for the day the interference goes away????
Must be radio waves in the air..

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2019, 07:10 PM »
Vexilar sells transom mount transducers and puck style transducers that attach to electric trolling motors. They also have Alumaducers which shoot through the hull of aluminum boats. You can use your head unit as a portable or get the bracket and mount it to your boat. Try Vexilar's home page for information.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:26 AM »
It seems i have heard of people mounting their transducers in plumbers putty in the bottom of the boat.  I just dangle mine over the edge

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2019, 06:46 AM »
I've got permanent set up in my boat. Have it on the trolling motor. That said..when bluegill fishing in deeper water I use my ice set up and put transducer on 5' of 3/4 pvc conduit that's clamped to boat side. Transducer is taped to one end of pvc so it hangs straight down..out away from boat. Always keep jigging rod in water and if I see something on flasher... start jigging for it.

Offline Ace in the Hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2019, 11:06 AM »
I use my FL-8 on front of my boat in summer. I bought a trans kit for trolling motor and a resister cable to cut down on signal. Cost around 75.00 for the kit.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2019, 03:52 AM »
I hang mine over the side and jig under it, when the wind lets me.  its kinda like ice fishing.  definitely works on mid summers suspended gills.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Hack58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:13 AM »
I use my LX-3 on the boat with a transducer mounted on the bottom of my trolling motor and love it.  My only problem is that I can almost never jig under it because either the water under the boat or the boat itself is almost always moving so I lose sight of the bait on the flasher.  Any tips to get around this?  All I've found is a lot of weight but that seems counter productive.....
Tight lines everyone!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2019, 06:38 AM »
I use my LX-3 on the boat with a transducer mounted on the bottom of my trolling motor and love it.  My only problem is that I can almost never jig under it because either the water under the boat or the boat itself is almost always moving so I lose sight of the bait on the flasher.  Any tips to get around this?  All I've found is a lot of weight but that seems counter productive.....

Using a flasher in a boat is very different from ice use. Everything moves. I do a good amount of vertical jigging and boat control is key. If you just let the wind blow you and steer with the trolling motor your line will always trail behind out of view of the flasher cone. Turning around and moving into the wind will allow better speed control to keep your lure closer and more visible. If your goal is to fish ice jigs extra weight in the form of shot up the line can also help with lure control without affecting your presentation too much.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2019, 10:36 AM »

if your committed to set on a spot use 2 anchors.  let all rope out on 1 stretched out. then drop the other anchor.  pull back to mid point on both and tie off tight.  its not perfect but helps.  need heavy or dig type anchors obviously. I can do it in moderate current with small plastics on 1/8 or bigger heads.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Hack58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2019, 05:46 AM »
Thanks Guys, I'll keep that in mind!!  Have a great summer season!
Tight lines everyone!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2019, 06:05 AM »
If you have a trolling motor with spot lock it works quite well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.