Author Topic: How do you fish for Arctic Char?  (Read 7515 times)

Offline growden1

• IceShanty Rookie
How do you fish for Arctic Char?
« on: Dec 19, 2010, 03:12 AM »
I posted this same question on another forum, but I know I will get some different responses here. so,

Anyone want to shell out some tips? I recently went to a valley lake with AkNook in attempt to catch some Arctic Char, but was shut down. While we were fishing we saw 6 to 8 nice sized fish around the two holes we were fishing but couldn't get them to bite. I've never seen fish of this size school up like this! We both saw them attacking our Split Shot while we were jigging everything from Eggs Clusters, Shrimp, Grubs, Spoons, Minnows, and single salmon eggs, but we couldn't get them to hit. WTH? I've had pretty good success against Rainbows, but haven't had the same luck with Arctic Char. What the hell is with these fish? I would love to hear some feedback on how fellow forum member have had success against these creatures of the deep...

Fish On!
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: How do you fish for Arctic Char?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2010, 12:26 PM »
Growden1,
I will chime in with a little help...  I don't know if your fishing for larger char or smaller?  It does make a difference in which fish your targeting for sure. 
Smaller fish (below 6 lbs. on average), I have had some good success with FRESH bait.  Not pre cooked shrimp, or 12 month old herring, etc...  There is a big difference when you use something they really find attractive and stinky bait your cat wouldn't eat.  The other thing is to use a smaller diameter line.  2-4 lb. test is the norm, anything above this is rope and fish will shy away from rope.  If you use a camera and the fish are shy, try pointing it down and not on the level of the strike zone.  Experiment with the jigging styles either fast or slow, since most fish will be tentative this time of year slow gets it done most often...  You said you were using split shot? Don't!  Go with a weighted jig and stay away from leaders, snaps etc.  If you need more weight use a heavier jig perferably a slim-er jig that will cut water better.  Forager minnow style jig will get you deeper without the resistance and they'll let you free fall your jig naturally.  Tie directly to your jig and keep them neutral in color unless it's low light outside then try glow style jigs.  Fresh bait, light line, no camera in their face, jigging speed, direct tie your jig etc...  THink Walleye! (if you've ever fished them.)
Bigger fish Anything over 6 lbs.  I'd stick with the lighter line 6 - 8 in fluorocarbon.  Direct tie your lures, (styles are all varying on every lake up in Fairbanks.) and WATCH YOUR GRAPH!!!!  Larger lures that imitate larger ciscos and whitefish.  Winter fishing is a challenge for those monster char out of Harding...  I can tell you that it's very close to laker fishing and that's about it, (I fish them more in the summer via boat outta there.)
I hope this helps?  Let us know how you do!
Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2010, 01:33 PM »
One lure you need in your box is the smaller forage minnows, bait them with some fresh shrimp, I have caught monster char in harding while laker fishing but it seems they like a little orange on the lure.  Everything the Dog said above is the gospel.   :tipup:
Bob

Offline critter_catcher74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2011, 09:52 AM »
Heading out there today will keep your tips in mind. thanks for sharing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.