Author Topic: Ice Fishing Transportation for Guests  (Read 2790 times)

Offline ChadLeton

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fishing Transportation for Guests
« on: Aug 26, 2017, 10:30 AM »
Did a brief search on Google and on the Site here but couldn't find what I was looking for...

1) Does anyone have an information on how ice anglers/guides can transport guests out onto the lake efficiently and safely by towing them with an ATV? I did come across one photo of an ice fishing sleigh that looked to be self built.

2) Are their regulations and laws against certain types of transportation of people on the ice? Couldn't find anything within the state of Wisconsin that said it's against the law OR that regulates how it can be done.

Thanks for thoughts and insights

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice Fishing Transportation for Guests
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2017, 11:59 AM »
Around here it's old air mattresses dragged behind a 4x4.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2017, 09:09 PM »
If you're just using a small utility trailer to haul the quad you could get a trailer hitch on the machine and then try using the trailer to haul people/gear.  There's a guy in Stoddard who runs an ice taxi with a quad, I've never used it so I don't know how he does it but if you go on Lake-Link to the Stoddard Islands fishing report you might be able to find pictures of it, or try sending a PM to Water's Edge and ask if they can put you in contact with him because I'm pretty sure he runs from their launch.     
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2017, 09:39 AM »
I don't fish with "guests" but when my son and I fish we have to put one of us on the sled.  We have a one person Polaris ATV and the IDNR will fine you ($195) if you have two people on it.  The rule is needed perhaps for people on dry land going 25-50mph on gravel roads.  But it is dumb enforcement when going 10mph on ice.  The passenger is safer on the ATV than a sled or trailer. He gets snow thrown at him the whole way across the ice. 

That said, we made a 4 foot long T shaped tongue out of black iron pipe.  The T part is along the front of the Clam sled in some eyebolts.  Or you can spend $50-75 and just buy one for your sled.  The rigid tongue is safer way to haul the sled, simply hooking a rope to the sled would have the sled slide forward into the back of the ATV when stopping.   

We hope to move this fall to either SD or the IGL and will have a side by side this winter.  I will likely get a multi seat such as Honda Pioneer 1000-5 (3 across the front  and 2 factory seats in bed of UTV). 
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2017, 10:21 AM »

We hope to move this fall to either SD or the IGL and will have a side by side this winter.  I will likely get a multi seat such as Honda Pioneer 1000-5 (3 across the front  and 2 factory seats in bed of UTV).
I have a side by side with three seats and a good sized bed for equipment. I added a full hard cab with a heater this summer. Should be snug as a bug this winter.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2017, 10:26 AM »
Love my Polaris ranger with full cab

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2017, 11:27 PM »
One of our local outfitters uses a home built "people mover" to get their guests on and off the ice. I may be wrong but I think for them to be legal around here, they need to wear a helmet when they are inside.
Here's a video.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2017, 08:20 AM »
What about some thing like a horse drawn snow sleigh??

Or some thing like in photo?

Offline ChadLeton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2017, 09:25 AM »
Very helpful here guys!

I have a 5' x 8' utility trailer for the quad but with drifted snow I was concerned about traversing the ice and getting my gear and passengers stuck with certain conditions.

I DID find some companies in Alaska that have ski runners that wheels from a utility trailer can lock into.

I will definitely pour through the Stoddard threads to see what I can find there as well. I've emailed several other guides and of course they all have 5-6 passenger UTV's which WOULD be ideal but not in the budget for this season.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Aug 28, 2017, 11:49 AM »
Very helpful here guys!

I have a 5' x 8' utility trailer for the quad but with drifted snow I was concerned about traversing the ice and getting my gear and passengers stuck with certain conditions.

I DID find some companies in Alaska that have ski runners that wheels from a utility trailer can lock into.

I will definitely pour through the Stoddard threads to see what I can find there as well. I've emailed several other guides and of course they all have 5-6 passenger UTV's which WOULD be ideal but not in the budget for this season.

If you got a snowmobile or buy a used one and drag a trailler like Dave genze does..  with seats in it  like a bus on skis  you could heat it with propane etc maybe even wood too if you tried hard enough..  if you watch genzes videos he has a single place snowmobile trailer he hooks from his car to his snow macHine.. if you can get a one  machine trailer and encolse it you may have a bus then on skis ??  Or even a trailer from harbor freight and put skis on it ?? And enclose it?? It all in what your willing to pay .. like they say sky's the limit... we picked up a harbor freight trailler for $300 for hauling leaves to the waste recycler beaches etc to.. ours is 4 x8 foot maybe the smaller 4 x4 foot  for two people?? Would work for you?? Only problem you have to assemble them .. them enclose it skis on it etc..

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Aug 28, 2017, 12:40 PM »
I was told that some guides in the Lacrosse, WI area are using airboats for transportation to and from their sleeper shacks. No idea on the rules on this but I can imagine it would work pretty well!
Da Pack!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #13 on: Aug 28, 2017, 01:14 PM »
Snobear makes a people moving trailer. I think it floats?

I just use sleds and give them a fun ride out and back.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Aug 28, 2017, 03:09 PM »
One of our local outfitters uses a home built "people mover" to get their guests on and off the ice. I may be wrong but I think for them to be legal around here, they need to wear a helmet when they are inside.
Here's a video.

That is a great trailer.  I did see the helmets inside hanging up.  Forget the seats, a lightweight unit like that would be good for a shanty too!  (at least for us southern guys who don't get 24" of ice and -30 temps.)

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline ChadLeton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2017, 03:20 PM »
The RMI product would be stellar but I have 12" rims on my 5x8 says it fits 14-16. Very cost effective solution that would be as well.

My guide groups are generally 3-5 people. The lakes I get out on I just set up multiple hubs or a couple 2 man flip overs as the ice in Southeast WI fluctuates and permanents aren't worth the diligence.

That people mover IS sweet and I could probably fab that.

Keep the input coming and I'm sure to consider it all and eventually let you guys know how I proceed. Appreciate the brain power :)

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 28, 2017, 03:58 PM »
I really like that tracked VW !!  :thumbsup: :clap: :bow: :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 28, 2017, 06:41 PM »
If you're going to be using whatever you end up with "for hire" might want to run it past your insurance guy first before you sink any cash.  I'm sure there are liability issues hauling people behind a motor vehicle and they generally look for any excuse to not pay out. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.