The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH  (Read 228793 times)

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ASK THE WYOMING GAME AND FISH
« Reply #90 on: Feb 10, 2011, 04:45 PM »
There is no restriction on who can fish in Yesness Pond. It is open to everyone, although it tends to be used more as a children's fishing area. To my knowledge there is only one place in WY with an age restriction and that is Huck Finn Pond in Laramie. If you are wondering about other restrictions on waterbodies, take a look at the regulations. All exceptions to the "Statewide" regulations are explained within each area. If that waterbody in question is not listed in the exceptions, it follows the Statewide regulations which are detailed in pages 3-11 of the regulation booklet.

Hope this helps.

Pinedale Childrens Pond in Sublette Co. Closed to anyone over 14yrs. of age and older.

Offline Soulfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #91 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:33 PM »
What kind of trout do you guy's stock? Trying to find goldens?  :tipup:
Trout..yummy..yummy fer my tummy...

Offline WGFDFishBioLander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Feb 10, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Just a quick Question for the biologists in Lander.  In lake Camewait I know why the length limit of the bass has been implemented and trying to reduce the number of perch and to try and get larger perch in the lake, but i was wondering if it would be possible to maybe have blue gill or crappie introduced into the lake for another fish to catch in the lake. Since boysen all ready has these species there is no possible way to introduce another fish into this system.  I think that it would be great to have a good panfish lake to take the kids to and to have another option to catch blue gills since sand mesa #1 and #2 where drained and that we lost a great panfish spot to go and fish.  So how can we go about trying to see if the Game and Fish would introduce another fish to a lake.  Plus it would give the bass another food source.  Thanks again for joining the site and helping answer the questions that we all have.

The Lander Fisheries Management Crew has a request for bluegill to be stocked in Lake Cameahwait in 2012 and 2013.  Since we don’t raise bluegill in Wyoming, our culture section needs time to coordinate with other states for the added production to meet our request.  In preparation, we introduced emerald shiners in 2010.  They will have a few years to establish before adding bluegill.  Currently there isn’t enough forage to support the addition of another predator.  The stunted yellow perch are evidence that forage production must be increased before the addition of another predator.  The emerald shiners have done well in Boysen Reservoir and should provide another forage fish for largemouth bass and bluegill in Lake Cameahwait.

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Feb 10, 2011, 07:42 PM »
Hope I understand your question. The creel limits for waters that follow the Statewide regulations are on page 3 of the regulation booklet. The tricky thing, and sometimes overlooked by anglers, is the exceptions page for each area. Creel limits can be different for different waters, so you have to be careful. The rule of thumb that I tell anglers is; once you know the water that you are going to be fishing, look up that water in the exceptions page, if it is listed as an exception then follow those regulations. If that water is not listed in the exceptions page, then follow the Statewide regulations on page 3.

Hope this helps

I meant like if Im at Alcova can I keep 6 walleyes and 6 trout or is it 6 combined.

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Feb 11, 2011, 09:53 AM »
I meant like if Im at Alcova can I keep 6 walleyes and 6 trout or is it 6 combined.
In that situation, since they are two seperate species, you could keep 6 of each. But there are situations where there is a combination limit. An example is the trout and panfish. You could not keep 6 rainbows, 6 browns, and 6 cutthroat, the limit is 6 trout in combination (despite the species). An exception to this is the bonus brook trout limit. You could keep 6 trout of various species (brown, rainbow etc.) plus an additional 16 brook trout.

Panfish are similar. Perch, bluegill, crappie are all lumped into the combination. So you couldn't keep 50 of each, but you could keep a total of 50 in combination.

All of this can be found on page three of the fishing regulations. Also, keep in mind, there may be exceptions, depending on the water and those can be found within the exception pages for each area.

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #95 on: Feb 11, 2011, 10:33 AM »
How about introducing more smallmouth bass into Glendo? As I have heard there are some, but far and few in between.
I don't think I have  been to a more appropriate reservoir in this part of the country that would suit them. And why not better utilize that over abundance of food? The shad, crayfish, and carp minnows are in a population to support allot more predatory fish that what Glendo has now. With no real threat of swimming up stream and affecting the trout fishing 60mi up the Platte. With adding a fish more willing to bite on more occasion's it would give anglers something else to catch besides walleye. I understand the G&F stocked some in years past, but it does not seem they found each other, and were able to establish a population.

And has the G&F ever considered hybrid bass (wipers)?

Again ,
THANK YOU GUYS SOO MUCH! THIS IS BECOMING THE BEST PART OF THIS SITE! ;D

Offline outdoorschris

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Feb 11, 2011, 01:30 PM »
In that situation, since they are two seperate species, you could keep 6 of each. But there are situations where there is a combination limit. An example is the trout and panfish. You could not keep 6 rainbows, 6 browns, and 6 cutthroat, the limit is 6 trout in combination (despite the species). An exception to this is the bonus brook trout limit. You could keep 6 trout of various species (brown, rainbow etc.) plus an additional 16 brook trout.

Panfish are similar. Perch, bluegill, crappie are all lumped into the combination. So you couldn't keep 50 of each, but you could keep a total of 50 in combination.

All of this can be found on page three of the fishing regulations. Also, keep in mind, there may be exceptions, depending on the water and those can be found within the exception pages for each area.

Thank you very much

Offline WGFDFishBioLander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #97 on: Feb 11, 2011, 04:25 PM »
Fish population fluctuations

The fish populations seem to cycle a lot in the Wyoming waters I fish..  An example of my personal experience was during the low water years we caught walleyes and trout as fast as we could get crank baits in the water.  Then we had one good water year and for the next few years we had great perch fishing and we also started catching bull heads every trip.  Then last year the perch and trout numbers dropped off and I have not caught a bull head in two years. We have caught walleyes every year we just have to adjust our methods.   So  does the G&F have any idea why the perch and trout fishing has declined in Boysen so much? Also why did we have the big jump in bullhead numbers and then have them just seem like they vanished?  
Our creel survey information supports your observations that walleye fishing was good in 2002 and 2003 when Boysen Reservoir was very low.  The drought began in 2000 and within a few years, the receding shoreline suppressed the forage base.  The mean relative weight of walleye decreased during this time which was noticed by many anglers that voiced concerned for skinny walleye they were catching.  Even though walleye abundance was decreasing, angler success remained high suggesting walleye were easier to catch and probably foraging longer each day.  The filling of Boysen Reservoir in 2004, with the reduction in walleye, led to favorable conditions for yellow perch, black crappie and black bull head recruitment.  Survival of stocked rainbow trout also increased.   Between 2000 and 2002, yellow perch were virtually absent from our netting (averaging less than 1 fish per net).  Yellow perch abundance in nets averaged near or above 40 per net from 2004 through 2007 (peak was 83 yellow perch per net in 2006).  Walleye recruitment began increasing in 2005 and by 2007 there was a fairly high abundance of large walleye.  By 2008, walleye abundance and mean sized peaked and yellow perch abundance crashed.  Average yellow perch abundance in nets decreased from 39 in 2007 to only 7.2 in 2008.  In 2010, netting abundance was less than 2 yellow perch per net.  The high abundance of large walleye appeared to coincide with the crash in the yellow perch fishery, especially the smaller and juvenile sized yellow perch that anglers don’t harvest.  We don’t monitor black bullhead but I suspect they are influenced by reservoir fluctuations and predators such as yellow perch.  We are still stocking 50 thousand catchable sized rainbow trout per year.  The survival of rainbow trout and yellow perch has been low the past few years and is likely the result of the good, but declining walleye population.  As the walleye fishery declines yellow perch and rainbow trout fishing will improve.

Offline WGFFishBio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Feb 11, 2011, 04:52 PM »
You name it, we pretty much stock it. Most of the trout that get stocked in WY are probably rainbow (especially in reservoirs). Other trout that get stocked in WY are: brown, brook, lake, cutthroat (4 subspecies, Colorado River, Yellowstone, Bear River, and Snake River), splake (hybrid between brook and lake trout), golden, tiger trout (hybrid between brown and brook), kokanee salmon, and sometimes grayling. Think I got'em all. The Lander, Cody, and Sheridan regions (not sure about Green River or Pinedale??) have a few waters with golden trout. I would recommend calling the regional offices and asking about golden trout fishing opportunities.

Hope this helps

Offline Keyhole21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #99 on: Feb 11, 2011, 06:00 PM »
Great info here.  Is there a place you can access data like fish per net , ie website, library, regional office to see reports?
Also I know from this thread that G&F is having trouble getting tiger musky, but are there still any tiger musky in L.A.K. and if not are they going to restock when able?

Thanks for the learning something new everday fix.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Feb 11, 2011, 08:40 PM »
Yes, anybody, child or adult, has to reside in the State of Wyoming for 10 consecutive years before buying a lifetime license. So the soonest that you could purchase a license for your child is at age 10 (if born in WY). Although technically a child doesn't need a license until the age of 14 (Youth license), it may be wise to purchase the lifetime license when first allowed as license fees may increase between the child's 14th and 18th birthdays.

Hope this helps
thank you for your anwer. not such a dumb question after all was it wyofarmer? :o :o :o

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Feb 11, 2011, 09:27 PM »
very sound info regarding Boysen and fish populations..

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Feb 12, 2011, 12:13 AM »
Our creel survey information supports your observations that walleye fishing was good in 2002 and 2003 when Boysen Reservoir was very low.  The drought began in 2000 and within a few years, the receding shoreline suppressed the forage base.  The mean relative weight of walleye decreased during this time which was noticed by many anglers that voiced concerned for skinny walleye they were catching.  Even though walleye abundance was decreasing, angler success remained high suggesting walleye were easier to catch and probably foraging longer each day.  The filling of Boysen Reservoir in 2004, with the reduction in walleye, led to favorable conditions for yellow perch, black crappie and black bull head recruitment.  Survival of stocked rainbow trout also increased.   Between 2000 and 2002, yellow perch were virtually absent from our netting (averaging less than 1 fish per net).  Yellow perch abundance in nets averaged near or above 40 per net from 2004 through 2007 (peak was 83 yellow perch per net in 2006).  Walleye recruitment began increasing in 2005 and by 2007 there was a fairly high abundance of large walleye.  By 2008, walleye abundance and mean sized peaked and yellow perch abundance crashed.  Average yellow perch abundance in nets decreased from 39 in 2007 to only 7.2 in 2008.  In 2010, netting abundance was less than 2 yellow perch per net.  The high abundance of large walleye appeared to coincide with the crash in the yellow perch fishery, especially the smaller and juvenile sized yellow perch that anglers don’t harvest.  We don’t monitor black bullhead but I suspect they are influenced by reservoir fluctuations and predators such as yellow perch.  We are still stocking 50 thousand catchable sized rainbow trout per year.  The survival of rainbow trout and yellow perch has been low the past few years and is likely the result of the good, but declining walleye population.  As the walleye fishery declines yellow perch and rainbow trout fishing will improve.

Thank you for a detailed and great answer and it makes total sense.. It is to bad that we have to have such great fishing in one way but limited in others.. I am with most of the folks and think that the perch carry a special place in our hearts, because they are great to eat and how can you improve on any day  when the perch are bighting and you have a couple of kids to work the lines..
olefish

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #103 on: Feb 12, 2011, 09:24 AM »
thank you for your anwer. not such a dumb question after all was it wyofarmer? :o :o :o
I didn't think it was a dumb question, i just never thought of it that way..... :o :o :o
Rest in peace Don "LT" Brewer

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Feb 12, 2011, 10:53 AM »
I didn't think it was a dumb question, i just never thought of it that way..... :o :o :o
understand wyofarmer. common sense should apply but rarely does with legislative mumbo jumbo. lets go have a drink at the white house. tight lines, Joe

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #105 on: Feb 12, 2011, 11:14 AM »
understand wyofarmer. common sense should apply but rarely does with legislative mumbo jumbo. lets go have a drink at the white house. tight lines, Joe
I'll buy him a beer if i can chat with him..... :o

Offline ratfink1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep some, eat some, and let some go!
« Reply #106 on: Feb 12, 2011, 08:32 PM »
what time of the year do perch spawn

Offline archetype_wyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Feb 14, 2011, 09:22 AM »
what time of the year do perch spawn

Quote from: Wikipedia link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_perch
Yellow Perch reach sexual maturity at one to three years of age for males and two to three years of age for females. Spawning occurs at the end of April or beginning of May, depositing 10,000 to 40,000 eggs upon weeds, or the branches of trees or shrubs that have become immersed in the water. After fertilization the eggs hatch in 11 to 27 days depending on temperature and other weather conditions.

To read the rest follow this link:: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_perch
Life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. ~Bill Hicks

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Feb 14, 2011, 11:05 AM »
Do you think all the summer flooding is the reason for the huge boysen algae bloom? Have you ever seen this before? It is solid green in places. Do you think it could cause a winter die off?

Offline Wyofarmer

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missin' my ol' buddy
« Reply #109 on: Feb 14, 2011, 11:15 AM »
Do you think all the summer flooding is the reason for the huge boysen algae bloom? Have you ever seen this before? It is solid green in places. Do you think it could cause a winter die off?
You might have something there duck. very good question.

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #110 on: Feb 14, 2011, 07:29 PM »
How about introducing more smallmouth bass into Glendo? As I have heard there are some, but far and few in between.
I don't think I have  been to a more appropriate reservoir in this part of the country that would suit them. And why not better utilize that over abundance of food? The shad, crayfish, and carp minnows are in a population to support allot more predatory fish that what Glendo has now. With no real threat of swimming up stream and affecting the trout fishing 60mi up the Platte. With adding a fish more willing to bite on more occasion's it would give anglers something else to catch besides walleye. I understand the G&F stocked some in years past, but it does not seem they found each other, and were able to establish a population.

And has the G&F ever considered hybrid bass (wipers)?

Again ,
THANK YOU GUYS SOO MUCH! THIS IS BECOMING THE BEST PART OF THIS SITE! ;D
:tipup:

Offline archetype_wyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Feb 15, 2011, 08:20 AM »
Here's a good question that deserves a gander(not the goose)...

Years ago Healy Reservoir just outside Buffalo on US Hwy 16 East was poisoned. What species of fish did you target and why did it fail to kill only those species and wiped out the "lunker rainbows" as well?
Life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. ~Bill Hicks

Offline WGFDFishBioLaramie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:09 AM »
To the Laramie crew, what is wrong with Lake Hattie? No one is catching much of anything out there and the contest in January sort of proved that. It would appear stocking needs to be a priority there as catch rates are dismal to the extreme. Thanks

Sportsman234,

Sorry for the delayed response I have been on leave.  We stock Lake Hattie every year; we try to stock Lake Hattie at a rate of about 82 trout per surface acre of water.  On top of that we stock 50,000 kokanee every year regardless of the amount of water in the lake.  We have to plan stocking numbers 3 years in advance in order for the WGFD fish culture facilities to plan accordingly in terms of the number of fish they can grow and hold.  This puts us in a little bit of a guessing game in terms of planning how many trout to stock in Lake Hattie to maintain our 82 trout per surface acre since the lake level fluctuates.  So basically over the last decade or so sometimes we have stocked over 82 trout per surface acre and sometimes we have been under that mark.  We are also concerned about the low catch rates over the last couple of years and we are going to increase the number of trout stocked in 2013 and if any extra fish become available from our fish culture section we will request those be stocked into Lake Hattie in 2011 and 2012.  We appreciate your concern and we will continue to work hard to increase catch rates at Lake Hattie.  Any further questions or clarifications just post and I will get them anserwed.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:29 AM »
Hawk Springs question:

I remember Hawk Springs being a very good walleye fishery.  With many years of low water hopefully behind us, what are your thoughts on the walleye fishery rebounding?  Is there much structure in this lake that the fish can relate to?  Also, do these fish naturaly reproduce or are they all stocked?

Thanks for your time and help

Wyomingchad,

Sorry for the delayed response I have been on leave.  Over the last two years spring water levels at Hawk Springs Reservoir have improved, while still drawn down annually the fall water level has not approached the low minimum pool observed in 2006.  Based on research we conducted on the contribution of stocked walleye versues natural reproduction walleye stocking was discontinued from 2005 through 2008.  Due to the lack of juvenile walleye caught during annual sampling from 2006 through 2008, annual stocking was resumed in 2009.  Around 80,000 fingerling walleye (2-3 inches) were stocked in 2009 and 2010 and account for the large year class of walleye between 11-13 inches caught in 2010.  Some natural reproduction may be attributing to this large year class as spawning habitat has improved over the last two years.  All size classes of walleye were in good condition in 2010, which may be attributed to the numerous forage fish species (gizzard shad, spottail shiners, and crappie).  Very few crappie have been caught in past sampling events with short set ES, but crappie numbers increased in 2010.  Memorable sized crappie (>12 inches) await anglers who take advantage of this spring fishery.  Trot lines (not legal for anglers in Wyoming) were an effective sampling method for large channel catfish.  Channel catfish CPUE (catch per unit effort) remained low in 2010.  Reduced numbers of channel catfish were stocked in 2004 and 2005.  No channel catfish were stocked in 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007, and 2009.  The full request of 2,500 channel catfish fingerlings was stocked in 2008.  The inconsistent channel catfish stocking is most likely leading to a decline in the channel catfish CPUE.  Despite being stocked in 2008, no largemouth bass were captured in 2009 or 2010.  Based on our research natural reproduction was not enough to maintain the walleye fishery at Hawk Springs Reservoir, therefore we will continue to stock 80,000 walleye annually and we feel that this will increase walleye catch rates at Hawk Springs and hopefully the water will be there as well.  If you need more info let me know.                        

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:30 AM »

Soulfly,

In the Laramie Region we stock golden trout at Bear Lake, Shelf Lake #1, and Shelf Lake #2.  All three lakes are in the Snowy Range west of the City of Laramie. 

Offline wforbes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Feb 15, 2011, 03:21 PM »
Sportsman234,

Sorry for the delayed response I have been on leave.  We stock Lake Hattie every year; we try to stock Lake Hattie at a rate of about 82 trout per surface acre of water.  On top of that we stock 50,000 kokanee every year regardless of the amount of water in the lake.  We have to plan stocking numbers 3 years in advance in order for the WGFD fish culture facilities to plan accordingly in terms of the number of fish they can grow and hold.  This puts us in a little bit of a guessing game in terms of planning how many trout to stock in Lake Hattie to maintain our 82 trout per surface acre since the lake level fluctuates.  So basically over the last decade or so sometimes we have stocked over 82 trout per surface acre and sometimes we have been under that mark.  We are also concerned about the low catch rates over the last couple of years and we are going to increase the number of trout stocked in 2013 and if any extra fish become available from our fish culture section we will request those be stocked into Lake Hattie in 2011 and 2012.  We appreciate your concern and we will continue to work hard to increase catch rates at Lake Hattie.  Any further questions or clarifications just post and I will get them anserwed.

What about introducing the idea of possibly fishing 6 rods at hattie and allowing people to seine native minnows to use at Hattie? That would be a dream come true!  :tipup:
hammer em bud!!! :tipup:

Offline Soulfly

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Feb 15, 2011, 04:16 PM »
thanks you for the info on the trouts  :tipup:
Trout..yummy..yummy fer my tummy...

Offline LindaLou

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Feb 15, 2011, 06:36 PM »
I have been wondering the same thing... I would much rather blame the algae bloom for my lack of fish than to assume I just can't catch the critters.  This summer the lake was the worst I have seen it with green puck.  When you throw out a lure and it sits on top, that aint' a good thing.  ;)

Offline duckman111

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Feb 16, 2011, 11:46 AM »
amazes me that its staying so green through winter...my tippup lines were solid green especially in the 30 to 40 foot water depth.

Offline VegasIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Feb 16, 2011, 03:24 PM »
Myself and some friends were wondering what it is that causes the meat of some Wyoming trout to be pink while others are white. One friend in particular moved here from Alaska and told me he had never seen white fleshed trout until he came here. We all have our ideas as to the color difference but would sure like to know from a reputable source what the real cause is. And on a side note all of us agree that the pink meat fish taste better in the pan.
A bad day fishhttp://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t65/wyohound/for-wyomingites-only.jpging beats a good day of work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.