Author Topic: Easy on/off Boot traction  (Read 1239 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Easy on/off Boot traction
« on: Mar 22, 2024, 02:29 PM »
The deals thread with yacktrax got me thinking about ice cleats.  I have Katoolas and they are great.  My ice boots are Clam Sub Zero X.  I found a few times this winter I didn't put the katoolas on because they made a lot of noise which spooked fish, I was fishing from the truck and didn't want to rip up my floor mats or make it hard to drive, and they aren't the easiest to get on and off.  Anybody try some of those velcro crampons to stick on a boot or shoe, or something else that is easy on/off and gives a little traction?

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Easy on/off Boot traction
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2024, 04:24 PM »
https://www.fishusa.com/Frabill-Ice-Creepers/

Super cheap, and they do the job. They run really small though, so if you have big feet like me, they will not work on heavy winter boots.

They work great for slipping on my work boots for shorter after work outings and general slick conditions. I keep a pair in my car all winter just in case.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2024, 05:42 PM »
These two are interesting...

K1 Mid sole ice cleats

Job Site Ice claws

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2024, 06:41 PM »
I don't think there's a lot you can do about the sound. If they don't dig in, they don't work very well. Yaktrax makes a few models, but the basic wound wire ones are probably the quietest, but they aren't super grabby. They are acceptable for most people. Your Katoolas are quite aggressive. They aren't to the level of some military surplus spikes, but you certainly aren't slipping with them. My favorites are Stabilicers. They are kind of in the middle, they grip pretty good, but it isn't obnoxious. Plus they are the only cleats I'm aware of made in the usa. They seem to last a good long time.

Whatever you buy, stay away from the ones that only have spikes at the front, and not at the heel. I'm surprised no company has been sued yet for selling such deathtraps. I'm looking at you HT. 
-Tom

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2024, 04:02 AM »
The quietest ones have a lot of the silicone rubber on the bottom.  They tend to be the least aggressive too. 

If one thing I've learned is that the easiest to put on and off are often the easiest to come off when you most need them to stay on.  I used the HT style ones with the velcrow straps for a few seasons.  Did the job, but I never cared for the added weight and the snow balls underneath from slush.  Artic spurs mid sole spikes were great but still unreliable slippery if you aint walking flat feet shuffle.  They never came off but the silicon rubber don't stretch and retract so well in the frigid temps.  Most of the time you're in frigid temps.

If you are not wearing pack boots style, then most of the mountaineering crampons are great.  The Hillsound Trail Crampon Pro is built in likeness and a bit easier to put on and take off.  I wear a size 10 winter boot Irish Setter Snow Claws and the straps just barely snaps on.   I will say that occasionally I trip the snap release and off the crampons come.

When compared to my older Grivel G10 ice crampons.  The Hillsound Trail Crampon Pro is much faster to put on and way too easy to take off.  I will say the the Grivel, once on, stays on and you can run with the and never have to worry about them falling off.  Then again I have no need to run.

I wish they make a boot combo like those of ski or snowboard boots that can just snap onto the skis or snowboard ===>For ice fishing.  I would luv to have my K2 snowboarding boots binding and see it converted into ice traction spikes. If I remember correctly there was a company that made a boot where it had hidden spikes built in.  You just had to flip them open.  I remember it was super expensive too.  Very cool concept but you still had to remove the boot to make the spike conversion.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2024, 08:09 AM »
I got a pair of Korkers boots this year. You can change the soles as needed. I like them a lot.
The lightly studded ones have just enough traction so you can run to flags but they aren't so aggressive that they are very noisy or will tear up your vehicle. I wouldn't wear them on my hardwood floors though. ;-)

https://korkers.com/collections/outdoor/products/polar-vortex-1200?variant=24522012917860

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2024, 10:23 AM »
I've been thinking about Korkers for a few years.  Buddy has them and loves them.  Hmmm.....

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2024, 11:58 AM »
Two pairs of boots, korkers, learn to walk on ice

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2024, 12:14 PM »
I leave mine on my boots and put those boots on when I get there. I never wear my boots to my destination because my feet will sweat and I will be shot all day…. Just saying..✌️✌️✌️
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2024, 12:55 PM »
I dont wear boots to location. Tried leaving them on once and they broke. When fishing from the truck u can be on and out a number of times a day.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2024, 07:28 PM »
If you are not gonna wear them to the lake, the best and cheapest are hex head sheet metal screws. I have used these for years when it gets "smooth icey". Work like a champ and cheap. Get the shortest you can find. I have never had a leak. But if you are worried a drop of silicone would stop that. .  Steve

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2024, 09:53 AM »
Well I love my Kahtoolas ...after trying a lot of other options they are hard to beat...piece of mind is hard to beat . Maybe treat the "noise" as a plus instead of a minus .. the fish may learn to associate  the  noise with a meal offering ...moving from hole to hole ...plopping down your bait

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2024, 10:21 AM »
HW; I can live with the sound but it's the driving/tearing of floor mats that is the big issue.  Agreed though, Katoohlas are hard to beat. 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2024, 10:57 AM »
HW; I can live with the sound but it's the driving/tearing of floor mats that is the big issue.  Agreed though, Katoohlas are hard to beat.

Cleats can be PITA to put on lakeside ...I wear Mucks ..and only drive a short distance to my fishing spots  but would not recommend putting on my spikes as I drive ... it can be a pain to drive longer distances with the Mucks but dont do it very often ...so another shoe option would be my choice for the drive ..in that case I would put the Kahtoola's onto my boot to save time after arriving.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2024, 11:31 AM »
Probably the best way, HW.  THe trips where it is in and out of the truck multiple times was what I hoped to crack the code on.  Take the Boots on/Off with Bibs on isn't great fun but probably the answer, along with slide the boots off with cleats on and put on other footwear, leave bibs unzipped on bottom to assist. 

Offline grababrewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2024, 08:05 PM »
I've been liking my Korker SnowJacks. I picked them up on clearance a few years back. They have pretty good traction on clear ice and are very comfortable to walk in. They make A LOT of noise walking into the liquor store though! ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.