Author Topic: Gliss: leader/no leader  (Read 1678 times)

Offline JTrottaNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NYS Licensed Guide
Gliss: leader/no leader
« on: Jan 18, 2018, 06:50 PM »
Anyone using Gliss? I bought some 8lb today to give it a shot. The diameter is amazing! .004 (8lb gliss) is almost half the diameter of the 4lb seaguar red label (.007) 

Trying to cut it, the Gliss seems to have very good abrasion resistance. I'm no fish, but it's damn hard to see this stuff... has anyone fished it without a fluoro leader? Did you notice any downside?
NYS Licensed Guide

Offline five fathoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gliss: leader/no leader
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2018, 08:57 AM »
 I used the very same diameter Gliss this past spring. I wouldn't recommend it for ice fishing - that stuff is very buoyant. On top of that, its abrasion resistance was awful. It peels like string cheese. Gliss isn't woven or braided, I believe. Instead, filaments are bonded together unilaterally somehow. I had a tough time snugging down the knot without incurring some fraying and peeling.
 To answer your question, I used it both with a fluoro leader and without one. Tying direct worked well enough, in that I still caught fish.
 I liked it enough to buy a few more spools, but it has a very particular use for me, and I wouldn't want to use Gliss for general open water and still less through the ice. Because of its low friction and small diameter, its castability is great. I didn't experience any cling or line slap as I've had with Sufix braid. It just floats right off the spool. Its buoyancy lends itself to longer casts, too, because I loaded up with a heavier weight to compensate and keep my lure running at depth. That resulted in bombing the opposite shore, almost.

Offline lunkerslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Gliss: leader/no leader
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2018, 01:17 PM »
Went with 18# pink monotex been going with a 4# pline florocarbon tied with a bloodknot. Or if I'm fishing for slough sharks no leader just tie to the spoon.
It's amazing stuff though if I get a bad spot from ice build up where it's coming apart I cut it out and tie it back together with the blood knot. All you need is 3 or 4 twists per side, lick, and sinch down. There is something amazing about human saliva that works as good as super glue I have never had a knot slip never. To trim the tags run the knife or scissors down to the knot and pull. It's the same way I trim my tags when I wrap guides on ice rods. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.