The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Fish and HuntLicense Price Increase  (Read 10270 times)

Offline Geterdun

• IceShanty Rookie
Fish and HuntLicense Price Increase
« on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:37 PM »
I saw a article in the paper saying that instead of hamering another $3 to all permits, they are going to tax canoes (unless you buy a fishing license) in an effort to get money from some of the non-paying sportsmen. So the $3 becomes $2 and the money is suppose go to hire bilogist to work on the recreational part. For me, I will pay what ever it takes to Hunt/Fish but where is the limit? The state needs to find more ways then just jacking up the prices of permits to support the DIF&W to keep the division going. They need more Wardens, Bioligist,a nd support staff. Basically the state took from them to balance a budget years ago and this is what the paying sportsman get! Arrggh, it really burns my #@s!

What's everybody else's opinion?

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
Re: Fish and HuntLicense Price Increase
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:41 PM »
We pay a lot less than many states. I don't like paying more but how can we complain about paying even anouther $10 for a license? It costs that to go to the movies once and you can fish for thousands of hours at your leasire.
Anthony

Offline minnesotapiking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:50 PM »
licenses are cheap for the value we get.  Many states tax the carp out of your boat (hundreds a year baby).

How about taxing farmers whose runoff pollutes the lakes, loggers whose work erodes the landscape and ages the lakes, and electric power companies that stop fish from getting to there native habitat by damming the rivers.  All of these guys pay hefty taxes in Maine I am sure.  Does any of it get to IFW?

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:52 PM »
According tho the Governor 250K will go to them next year, a far cry from what this states constitution reads!
Anthony

Offline weav11

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I did it all for the brookie, the brookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:55 PM »
Many states tax the carp out of your boat (hundreds a year baby).

I heard Carp will do that...just jump right in your boat without warning...crazy carp
Tippy Tundra 1 Weav 0

Mad Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:59 PM »
If all the money that we pay currently went into DIF&W instead of into the general fund we wouldn't need to make up new taxes. >:(

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2005, 01:59 PM »
"hundreds a year on you boat"

He he, some times I am glad my boat isn't worth much but runs perfect :)
Anthony

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:01 PM »
2004......$23 for 101 trips = 22.7 cents per trip.  Cheap.  I'd go well higher in $ and be fine with it.

Offline weav11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:05 PM »
I need to retire... ;D
Tippy Tundra 1 Weav 0

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:07 PM »
Maine, overall is still a wicked deal when it comes to hunting and fishing.  But I agree, fees keep going up and up.  If you fish and hunt deer with bow, rifle and black powder, duck hunt and turkey hunt, it adds up.  God forbid you have to buy a black bear tag too. Out-a-staters really have to  cough it up.

I went Elk hunting in Colorado a few years ago - talk about $$$!  HOLY "CARP".  

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:10 PM »
Mike I definitely agree the hunting and fishing licenses are way disproportionate. I spend a good $100 on hunting every year, more if i ever win the moose lotto.
Anthony

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:15 PM »
That may be alright for you to say, but you have to remember that living in Maine is getting harder each year with the loss of jobs and high taxes. Maine's biggest source of income is taxes. It seems like the goverment can't wait to limit who can fish or cut logs for a way of life. They mainly want the residents of Maine to be the servants of the rich out-of-stater's. It may not seem that way in southern Maine, but over here in eastern and northern Maine we're geting sick of the bloodsuckers in Augusta. I think we ought to get rid of half of the dead heads in Augusta then we would have plenty of money. I don't know if any of you remember that a couple of years ago DHS loss 100 million dollars. The commissioner was replaced, but the money was never reported found. It's funney how they cover each other's back in that BLACK HOLE called Augusta. I got to go take a pill and calm down.
Steve

Sir Catchalot

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:18 PM »
well said pegasus...I am from Southern maine, but go to college at UMO...what a difference!

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:22 PM »
residents of Maine to be the servants of the rich out-of-stater's.

I agree with you, but then again I make my living being "servant to rich out-of-staters".   ;D  

Offline Geterdun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:25 PM »
Don't get me wrong. I would pay a lot more just to Hunt/Fish for even one day. I feel lucky to have the opportunity to do both. I lived in Nothern Virginia for a while and trying to find a place to hunt there was a serious challenge. I just feel like the state is expecting the hunt/fish sportsman to dig them out of holes that they created. They talked about selling the Lottery Money, ewhy not sell the income for the hunt/fish licenses and the moose lottery to while we are at it?

My turn to take a pill!

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:31 PM »
I need to retire... ;D

Wish I was, then I could really fish and get my $ worth from my license!  Talk about price increases, anybody get an electric bill lately?  CMP lowered the delivery cost 4%, but the supplier raised the supply portion about 20%!  OUCH.

Offline weav11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:37 PM »
Jim, I think your doing just fine!  I think I'm paying twice as much per trip as you are!

I did get my bill...sticker shock...time to invest in solar panels....or get rid of my electric hot water heater
Tippy Tundra 1 Weav 0

Offline toguebuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tomorrow is a another day!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:37 PM »
all ican say is id spend 200.00 dollars to fish for what i get from this state ,but we oughta stick it to the non residents ,make them buy a stamp or license for ever different species like other states do!! did i mention sdaltwater license!!!! just 5.00 would help and all those tourists lining our jetties could pay for the enforcement of the marine fisheries!!!!
We do not own this land ......We are just borrowing it from our children!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:40 PM »
Dude, you spend $200 on fishing licenses in Maine?
How?
PS
I got a bridge for sale ;D ;D

Offline Geterdun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:40 PM »
I need to retire... ;D

Wish I was, then I could really fish and get my $ worth from my license!  Talk about price increases, anybody get an electric bill lately?  CMP lowered the delivery cost 4%, but the supplier raised the supply portion about 20%!  OUCH.

I am to young to retire so does anyone have a high paying, low hour job for me? ;D

Offline weav11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:45 PM »
work in the woods with the Flags and Peaslees....then you can scout for those big Jefferson bucks AND make a paycheck at the same time
Tippy Tundra 1 Weav 0

Offline Geterdun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 22, 2005, 02:57 PM »
work in the woods with the Flags and Peaslees....then you can scout for those big Jefferson bucks AND make a paycheck at the same time
Yessah! I think I will search elsewhere first! That type of work and with those boys will lead to a unhealthy retirement.

Offline toguebuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2005, 03:03 PM »
How?
PS
no idont ,but i would if i had too,i spend over 200 days a year fishing countless hours. its a fraction of a cent per hour. ispend 100 time that on gas getting there!!
We do not own this land ......We are just borrowing it from our children!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2005, 03:10 PM »
How?
PS
no idont ,but i would if i had too,i spend over 200 days a year fishing countless hours. its a fraction of a cent per hour. ispend 100 time that on gas getting there!!
Sorry, I didn't read your note quite right.  I thought you spent $200 to fish.  If you did, you'd have to have words with whoever is selling you the licenses!   ;D  Fishing in Maine is definitely a bargin.  There may not be a lot of big fish, but the country and the people make it worth while.  Personally, I'm headed to Ontario this year for those big browns!  Can't wait.

bluewinger

« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2005, 03:13 PM »
i agree we need to pass the cost of DIF&W on to the outer-stater they get to enjoy the wildlife that you and i have worked hard to either maintain or bring back.sure their fees are a little higher then ours but not by that much in comparison to other states.salt water liscense hell i'd buy one of thos that cheap then at least i know the other people on the beaches or jettys or offshore are payin their fair share

Offline toguebuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 22, 2005, 03:14 PM »
How?
PS
Sorry, I didn't read your note quite right.  I thought you spent $200 to fish.  If you did, you'd have to have words with whoever is selling you the licenses!   ;D  Fishing in Maine is definitely a bargin.  There may not be a lot of big fish, but the country and the people make it worth while.  Personally, I'm headed to Ontario this year for those big browns!  Can't wait.
lucky dog!!!!!!!!!!!11 :o

Offline minnesotapiking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Mar 22, 2005, 03:30 PM »
i agree we need to pass the cost of DIF&W on to the outer-stater they get to enjoy the wildlife that you and i have worked hard to either maintain or bring back.sure their fees are a little higher then ours but not by that much in comparison to other states.salt water liscense hell i'd buy one of thos that cheap then at least i know the other people on the beaches or jettys or offshore are payin their fair share

Out of stater license could be twice as much probably but if we reduce demand for out of state licenses alot more than license fees goes down hotels restaurants gas etc.  Your job is at stake.  Economics are impervious to our emotions.

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Mar 22, 2005, 03:47 PM »
I need to retire... ;D

Unhuh Weav...retirement is kinda fun ;)..

brooktrouter

« Reply #28 on: Mar 22, 2005, 03:49 PM »
 May i suggest a pike stamp?  Make millions according to some  :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline toguebuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Mar 22, 2005, 04:06 PM »

Out of stater license could be twice as much probably but if we reduce demand for out of state licenses alot more than license fees goes down hotels restaurants gas etc.  Your job is at stake.  Economics are impervious to our emotions.
sorry if an angler from mass had a choice ,fish mass or maine he would likely come to maine no matter what the cost.try camping in the big woods of boston ,or maybe central park.we have what they want and thier pay scale is alot higher than ours ,you know what a carpenter in mass gets versus maine scary!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.