The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: messalonskee pike[pic]  (Read 4456 times)

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
Re: messalonskee pike[pic]
« Reply #30 on: Jan 05, 2010, 08:55 AM »
the state does virtually NOTHING to manage bass in this state

You call a 1 fish daily limit unmanaged?!?!?! There's soo stinkin' many bass in some of our lakes there should be no bag limit!!!

Sorry guys, back to 'Slow Pond' and big Pike... Nice fish. Congrats. Anyone get any of those big Togue yet DIF&W put in last fall yet?

Big Fortin,
Congratulations on your new Puppy....  ;D   Did you 'pick' him yourself??
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 05, 2010, 01:30 PM »
hey mike....it seems like every year i have a slow start. we are going down smelting tonight...if we get some, that is what i will be using for bait this weekend ;D i see you put the shack on the ice...fishing there this weekend??
I'm not really sure.
I got the other shack on the lake too (and flipped it upright too - damn wind). 
PM me with your plans and maybe we can hook up somewhere.
How'd you do smelting?  I need to go sometime soon!

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 05, 2010, 05:00 PM »
The problem has very little to do with pike and more to do with the fact that the state of Maine has very few bodies of water that are actually capable of sustaining a "cold water" fishery.  Couple with the fact that the only real way IF&W "manages" cold water species is with a brilliant program known as "put & take" and then publishes where they "put" these farm raised "fish".  At some point the State is going to have to realize that they are going to have to work with what they have instead of what they "want".  Managing cold water fish in a "cold water" lake is worthy and commendable but to do apply this tactic to every body of water state wide, regardless of its physical make-up or layout is just plain foolish and a wast of time and taxpayer money.

On the flip side, the state does virtually NOTHING to manage bass in this state (in all honesty that's a good thing...you get government involved in ANYTHING and 95% of the time they %*@^ it up) and despite that, the black bass populations are thriving everywhere.  Bass anglers have been practicing catch and release for decades now and the "proof is in the pudding".  Maine has arguably THE best bass fishing in the country.  Sure we don't have very many of the 10+ pounders found in many southern states but I'd be willing to bet that the average weight of a fish caught here is much higher than virtually anywhere else in the country.           

however pike do eat trout. it is a fact. therefore pike are ruining the fisheries
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

Offline minnesotapiking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 07, 2010, 10:42 AM »
The problem has very little to do with pike and more to do with the fact that the state of Maine has very few bodies of water that are actually capable of sustaining a "cold water" fishery.  Couple with the fact that the only real way IF&W "manages" cold water species is with a brilliant program known as "put & take" and then publishes where they "put" these farm raised "fish".  At some point the State is going to have to realize that they are going to have to work with what they have instead of what they "want".  Managing cold water fish in a "cold water" lake is worthy and commendable but to do apply this tactic to every body of water state wide, regardless of its physical make-up or layout is just plain foolish and a wast of time and taxpayer money.

On the flip side, the state does virtually NOTHING to manage bass in this state (in all honesty that's a good thing...you get government involved in ANYTHING and 95% of the time they %*@^ it up) and despite that, the black bass populations are thriving everywhere.  Bass anglers have been practicing catch and release for decades now and the "proof is in the pudding".  Maine has arguably THE best bass fishing in the country.  Sure we don't have very many of the 10+ pounders found in many southern states but I'd be willing to bet that the average weight of a fish caught here is much higher than virtually anywhere else in the country.           

great post and I would add that bass fishing in Maine is every bit equal to Minnesota and maybe better.  Its amazing to me how lucky us bass fisherman are in a way.  Both the state bios and many local fisherman leave these fish alone, don't want anything to do with them! :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.