Author Topic: Hunters View - Ice Shanty  (Read 8043 times)

bweck

Hunters View - Ice Shanty
« on: Dec 03, 2003, 09:24 AM »
I went to a Gander Mountain retail store here in Michigan to check out the ice shantys.  I found that Hunters View is putting one out now.  Has anyone used one or heard of how they hold up?  They are priced at $150 and about the size of a Shappell 2000.  Instead of having holes in the floor, the front is angled and has an open area in front  about 2' deep and the width of the shanty.
If anyone has any info I would appreciate it.  Thanks

Offline Bussman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re:Hunters View - Ice Shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 03, 2003, 10:29 AM »
I had one similar to that made by another company. It worked well but I like having my seats attached to my fish trap. I also like the high sides on the sled. If this shanty is the same one I saw in walmart it works ok but I think walmart had a $99 price tag on it? Check it out.

George

Offline schaaed1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2003, 08:58 PM »
I was looking at them at Gander tonight (Sat) as well. They are layed out pretty much like the Fabril HideOut. I like the thought of being able to open up a spearing hole (if I wish) in the side portion that protrudes out. I also liked the fact that the material was real fabric and not plastic tarp material.

I have not seen these in Wally World ... yet at least. The price at $150 seamed pretty reasonable. I was in a hurry and the two that were there were on hold, but, I wanted to look at their website (addy was on outside of box) but I must have remembered it wrong!! Did you catch it?

Offline SenecaBow

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2003, 01:48 PM »
From the new guy on the block --- Hello! Everyone.

Very nice site, with about all the info on ice fishing a man could ask for. ;D Cool

Now about the Hunters View ice shanty.
Bought one for my grandson, at Gander's
Set up time is less than 2 min. and easy.
2 zipper doors with tye backs
a vent hole with velcro on all four sides
One long window on the back and a window on each door, and they let in a lot of light.
One thing that I like about this or any shanty --- Pitch black --- When you close it up. Can't see your hand in front of your face. :)
Molded one-piece sled -- It folds up very nicely and easy.
The Oxford cloth cover is PVC coated.
Something I like. -- Reflective squares on all corners
I have a little story about a snow sled, night fishing and my Shappell shanty -- some other time
A license holder that is large enough to hold a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of copy paper
Set-up dimensions 62 1/2 (l) X 36 7/8 (W) x 60 (H)
Folded is the same but only 5" (H)
The fishing area outside the sled is 16 x57
The shanty will weigh in at 44 lbs
All and all not a bad little shanty --- just a little on the small side for a two man shanty, but my grandson will be using it as a one man anyway. And the price was right :)
Oh, yea ---- you get a tow rope

www. huntersview.com is the web addy on the box

Offline schaaed1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2003, 08:07 PM »
Well I went and bought one tonight, while in GR. They had 9 or more in boxes. SenecaBow ... thanks for the description (saved me some typing).

The fabric on these is great, the only part that I wonder about is the sled itself. To me it appears to be on the thin side and somewhat hard (ie ... brittle). I'm afraid it may crack with use and cold. Hope I'm wrong, but I will be saving my box and reciept!!

They could have easily spent a couple $$ more on the sled and people would have paid more. As it is, I think it is the best value out there (granted the jury is out on the sled).

bweck

« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2003, 08:05 AM »
Thanks for info.  I'm checking on getting my current shanty, which is very simular, re-covered.  If the price is too much I think I'll pick one of those up too.  I also looked at Wally world and currently they do not  have any shantys on display.  Maybe it has to do with  being in southern Michigan and they don't think it's cold enough yet.  It's getting there though, I have some saw some skim ice on smaller lakes and ponds.

crappie_kings

« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2003, 07:04 PM »
i got one of these shantys this year and love it.  we fished 2 people in it with heater and lantern and some other junk and it works perfect.  it is very light weight and easy to pull around.  also you can pile a lot of stuff on it when its folded down and not have to worry about it sliding off over bumps and stuff.  the one thing i dont like is the way the canvas is held on to the sled with those little clips but still one of the best purchases i have ever made

Offline schaaed1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2003, 05:21 PM »
Crappie King - You are right those clips are kinda goofy. I may fasten my canvas on in a different manner. Any issues with the sled itself?? I'm worried that it will crack easy when the temp gets into the single digits (if it ever does this year!!).

Also, bweck and others - Was in Menards today (Muskegon, MI) and low and behold they had the same shanty in BLUE, for $129. Size was the same, fabric was the same (except the color), same orange piping and reflectors on corners, sled was the same, etc. The only difference I could see was the two supports that keep the fabric away from the sled (creating the fishing area) were 1/4" rod instead of the conduit  type material.

This one did not have the BIG Hunter's View logo plastered on the side. The model name was not 'Dark House' like the ones at Gander ... but I do not remember what the model was.

This would be a he11 of a deal for $129.

Ed S

Offline frozentoes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dangit..missed 'em...again!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2003, 03:42 PM »
I also just assembled one of these for a friend that owns a bait shop. I really liked them and bought one after we assembled it. Very cost friendly, decent size, and very light for moving around a lot. I also agree on the goofy clip thingies. I am going to put it too the test this coming Sat. I originally bought it for the kids, but I better "try" it out first, you know for ummm...safety, yeah thats it. Good luck everyone.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2003, 07:06 PM »
Checked one out at GM last night seemed ok for $149.00, but the base needs a piece of plywood to stifen it up. Also i couldn't figure out why the window was on the back side ???

Offline frozentoes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dangit..missed 'em...again!!!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2003, 06:31 PM »
well, I previously replied on how nice the shacks were. After using mine for 3 hours this morning, I no longer own one. The window cracked on one of the doors. The base is way to thin and gets really brittle when it is 5 degrees outside. That resulted in two of the corner posts breaking the plastic where they are screwed into the base. They just cannot stand up to the cold weather. Just thought I would give people a heads up. Luckily, where I bought mine just gave me my money back. Now I have to find another two person shack.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2003, 05:32 PM »
Thanx for the info frozen toes I almost picked one up,sorry about the shack man.
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline PERCHPULLER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Perchpuller
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2003, 08:05 AM »
I SAW ONE IN DICKS LOOKED LIKE JUNK TO ME AFTER SEEING PRODUCTS FROM CLAM,FRABILL AND SHAPPEL FOR AROUND 250 YOU CAN GET A GOOD RIG FROM THESE COMPANIES THE LITTLE MORE$ IS WORTH IT AND THEY WONT FALL APART THIS YEAR OR NEXT OR THE NEXT..................
All fishermen are liars except for you and me,and sometimes I wonder about you!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2003, 08:47 AM »
With that much ice exposed to the inside of the shack it would seem to me that it would take a bit more to heat the thing.

On the plastic cracking in cold weather. I heard that Chevy had a similar problem with the Avalache in the Northern climates. Too much plastic crap on those trucks.

Offline SenecaBow

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2004, 03:08 PM »
I hate to bring an old post to the top, but I think you good folks on this site should know.

About 5 weeks ago we here in Ohio had 3 inches of ice on some of the farm ponds --- Time to try out the
Hunters View - Ice Shanty

First time out just as frozentoes said -- the corner post broke.

So, I send Hunters View an E-mail telling them what was wrong ---- It wasn't a bunch of off colour words or telling them that the shanty was junk, just told it like it was.
I recived two e-mails from them asking for pictures of the broken sled.
Well I don't have a digital camera or a scaner -- no pictures for them.

They have done nothing in 5 weeks.
All in all a bad deal.

Today I took the shanty back to Gander Mountain and bought a Shappell DX 3000 -- should have bought it in the first place but the $150 price of the Hunters View looked good.

Just thought you would like to know.

BTW --- Ganders took back the shanty with no proof what so ever that I had bought it at their store. Plus gave me an 10% dicount on the 3000 ---- Gota like them folks at Gander.

Offline worm_waster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2004, 07:15 PM »
I looked at the hunters view at the store and wasn't overly impressed.  I ended up with a clam 2000.  So far ive been happy with its performance.  They use the same ice armor fabric as the fish trap, the poles are the same quality as any other clam product.  Its a little tight for two people, but i usually fish by myself or with my girlfriend, so it isn't a problem. They are about 200 bucks most places.  

Offline kathleen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2004, 09:11 PM »
gee was almost sold.  am looking to buy our first shack and can't spend a whole heck of alot.  any suggestions?
thanks, kathy
kathy

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing rules, let there be ice !!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2004, 03:15 PM »

Offline marmooska

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ><}}}}}(*>
Re: Hunters View - Ice Shanty
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2004, 01:30 PM »

hey ,
   same thing here ,got it home to put it up and guess what piece of crap .
   my post is on "general chit chat "if you want to read it .
  " purchased a very poorly made 2-man ice shelter from menards ."

jim
" known carrier of icefishing fever"
" i cant remember, what i forgot, to forget?"

---ThinIce---

Re: Hunters View - Ice Shanty
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2004, 02:23 PM »
Speeking of Hunters View products:Early this fall I had a purchased the Hunters View climbing Tree stand.To say the least I hate the darn thing >:( it is diffcult to get your feet in the straps, and your feet come out of the straps when climbing with it. And even the tubular steel where the cable that secures the treestand to the tree, the steel is bent after useing it for only one season I would probally never buy another Product from this company.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.