Author Topic: Buying a potable ice shelter  (Read 1757 times)

Blaner1999

Buying a potable ice shelter
« on: Dec 22, 2004, 09:38 PM »
I have been thinking of buying a new ice shelter, in particular an Eskimo ice shelter. A friend of mine told me he heard that the canvas did not breathe on an Eskimo shelter and they  have problems with condensation build-up on the inside which then melts and is constantly dripping on the people inside. I am thinking of buying an Eskimo Pro ice shelter. Another option I am exploring is a Shappel 4000 ice shelter or a Shappel 4000DX. Does anyone Have any opinions on these three ice shelters?

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Buying a potable ice shelter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2004, 07:05 AM »
If you are going to buy the Shappell by the "DX" model.  They have heavier material, the stitching is better, and the zippers are heavier.  Well worth the extra $$$. 

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2004, 09:28 AM »
I think that can happen in any shack , depending on the temp inside/ outside and the humidity . Sometimes i boil a few hot dogs on my 1 burner port. stove which creates a lot of humidity , causing the condensation to rise to the top. After shutting down the stove the canvas cools way down creating frost on the top. Waiting a while to fire up the heater in the shanty. When it gets toasty in there , it melts the frost and drips down on me .

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2004, 09:52 AM »
i have an eskimo lodge .i love it .the propane heat does condensate on the inside but it has never been to the point it would drip.i have been in clam and shapell and seen the same thing.as TH10 mentioned its a hot cold thing. i really like the nylon backed canvas material my eskimo is made of and would reccomend it to anyone! hope this helps

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2004, 04:37 PM »
I have an Eskimo Quickflip III and have had no problems with it.  The canvas is fairly heavy and it's very solid when assembled.  I have not had much a problem with the condensation.  I use a propane lantern for a heat source.  The air up here can be pretty dry in the winter and *%#^& cold as well.  The sled portion of the shanty is fairly deep with a good lip on the edges to bungee everything down.

Icy Mike

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2004, 06:37 PM »
I have the Shappell DX4000.  Rugged and dependable but I have experienced the phenonemom you are describing.  There is so much moisture in our breathing it would almost be impossible to avoid the "frost" or wet inside conditions you describe.  I heat my shanty with a buddy heater.  The DX 4000 has been durable enough to impress me.  My only problem has been a broken clip on my spreader bars at the top.  Called Shappell and they said they would send me a new one and a couple spares this week.  I bring plenty of gear ice fishing and like the size of the 4000 for two people but gotta admit, those sled type shanties are pretty awesome.  Fun shopping knowing the wind will not control your fishing destiny in the future!
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.