Author Topic: a shanty  (Read 2527 times)

ryfisher

a shanty
« on: Feb 19, 2003, 05:56 AM »
if you could make a new shanty what would you change?? i am wanting to build a permanent one for a lake. there might be 4 guyz in it at once at the most. i was wondering what the best size would be. confortable but not too much room. i have been talking to a guy that said he can get me alum. square tubing for the frame but still thinking about the walls?? also should i throw some thin insolation in it?? will have windows for the tip-up runnin and also a vent. prob go with the RV door if we can get one!!!
anything helps

RY

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
Re: a shanty
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2003, 06:09 PM »
yes use insulation and I would put the windows low so you can see out of them while you are sitting.  I plan on makeing one 8 by 8 which will handle four and is the size of my trailer.

prairiedogdale

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2003, 04:24 AM »
ryfisher,

I would go with anything that makes the shack lighter.  I went with 2 X 2 and 2 X 3 steel for the flat frame of my shack.  I would have went with aluminum for sure but for the high cost of it.  We went with both RV door and windows.  We picked them all up used at a local RV dealer.  I can't tell you how pleased I am with that choice.  They fit like a glove and operate exactly as they should.  I would also keep the windows low if you don't want continual excercise every 30 seconds. ;) As far as the insulation, I wouldn't even think about not installing it.  Make sure you put in a good vapor barrier as well with accoustical sealant.  We also put in a 12V fan for a vent.  Wouldn't change a thing.  Good luck  :'(

crappie_hunter

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2003, 06:50 AM »
put crank up jacks on all four corners so you can jack it up to put it on a trailer send me a message and i can send you pix of my 8x10

Offline Mad_Ital

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • H.Pocus. tidly wink, all tipups come up in a blink
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2005, 05:14 PM »
Make sure the windows are low enough when sitting. I have 6x8 and the windows are too high. I have to actually get up to see. Not fun when its 4:20 all day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.