Author Topic: Whats up with CLAM?  (Read 1502 times)

Offline chris3303

• IceShanty Rookie
Whats up with CLAM?
« on: Aug 07, 2011, 06:45 PM »
Clam used to make some pretty nice shacks. In fact I sold my old frabill xlt twin with the bench seat a number of years ago and got a fish trap scout where the seat slides back and forth and has the canvas gear holder under the seat. They used to be great at innovation and designing good shacks. Recently the past couple years they have cheapened everything and the designs are junk. Whats going on there?

surflizard

Re: Whats up with CLAM?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2011, 07:27 PM »
just like everything else nowadays, get the cheapest manufacturing[Chinese] to increase the companies bottom line ! Some of the Original Clams that Dave Gentz and his family built 15 or 20 years ago are still being used out there ! Can't say the same for the new ones, according to some of the customer feedback right here on this site !

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2011, 08:50 AM »
Yeah, I've had a lot of problems with the new canvas on my kenai. It ripped at the seam where the corner of the front post touches the ice. I contacted clam, and they sent me a replacement. Now the replacement is ripping at the same exact spot on the new one. I contacted them again and gave them a piece of my mind. They said it may be one of my support poles causing it to rip. I didn't bother contacting them on it. I just sewed the thing myself, and told them I would never recommend their products to anyone. Next shanty will be a frabill, or if I can ever afford it, and Otter. maybe one day!  ::)

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2011, 04:17 PM »
I agree with Surflizard.  Todays companies have to cheapen things up.  Unfortunately they charge a premium price for it.  When I was a kid, the old timers would build their own portable shanty out of heavy duty canvas.  Got moldy in the attic and smelled kinda funny when the Coleman Lantern would heat it up! ;D
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2011, 12:08 PM »
I can remember the days when the only shacks on the ice were the heavy, homebuilt, permanent type or the homebuilt Ontario types. I fished out of an Ontario shack that my son and I built for many years and loved it. One of the local lumber yards had its employees build Ontario type shacks during the winter to keep them busy.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Boydric

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2011, 06:22 PM »
I purchased a clam summit last year and the carry bag ripped out on the first use of the pop up.  It did not even rip on the seams the fabric itself ripped out.  Less than happy with the carry bag.  They also changed the design from being a back pack to a single shoulder strap.  Previous yeas model was much more user friendly.  They did this to cheapen it up some more as well.

Offline pfscott

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 23, 2011, 08:03 PM »
Wow. I haven't looked at new shacks for quite a few years. Was considering selling my 6800 Packer shack, but maybe I better stick with what I have.

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2011, 08:50 AM »
I understand trying to save money, we all need to do it. But it's not going to do them any good when they are losing customers that spend $100's, just to save a few pennies.

I've seen it first hand with the company I work for. We lost so many customers, that the company was looking at bankruptcy. Thankfully, someone stepped in and wants to buy the company. I'm also thankful, that the new VP will be my current boss, so I don't have to unemployment.

Saving money is fine, but you still have to have a quality product in the end. I'll be saving up for an otter myself. Those shacks look like they are built to last a lifetime.

sunniewally

« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2011, 06:06 PM »
took three base camp thermal for me to work!!  a real profit maker huh!!!!

Offline giiufh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2011, 08:07 AM »
I hope every one is wrong on this. Have had my Thermal X for two years and am happy with it so far. Just hope it holds up.
"In winter we shovel. In summer we swat mosquitoes. In spring and fall we rest up for shoveling and swatting."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.