Author Topic: Clam or Fish Trap  (Read 2289 times)

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
Clam or Fish Trap
« on: Jan 09, 2005, 09:12 PM »
Im having a hard time deciding which to buy... the Fish Trap Pro or the Clam 2000.  I like the idea of the fish trap because its a breeze to pick up and move in search for fish.  I also like the idea of a 2 man shanty such as the clam 2000.  What do you folks think about each one of these models?  Is the Clam a pain in the butt to move around?
Thanks for your opinions!

P Gottshall

Re: Clam or Fish Trap
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2005, 09:37 PM »
SF,

I have two Fish Traps (Voyager & Scout), & my buddy has a Clam, & dislikes it so much he bought a Fish Trap this year.  I bought the Voyager first, but it's too heavy for me to handle alone.  It's a 3-man, so I kept it for times when I have a buddy along.

I've used both, so here are the facts:
* The Clam plows, & does not pull well through snow.  The FT with its sled does.
* The Clam doesn't set up fast.  The FT does.  With the FT's, just flip it back, grab your rope, & move.
* The Clam doesn't carry gear.  clamcorp.com shows a nice pic with a bucket sitting on it, but that won't really work.  You'll end up buying a sled for gear with the Clam.  My buddy did, so he needs two people to haul everything.  The FT has a built-in sled, so does carry gear, very well. 
* The Clam 2000 is 45lbs (not bad), but that's w/o seats.  The Guide is 76lbs (significantly more).  The Pro is 51lbs  (not bad).

My opinion, if you want a 2-man, buy the FT Guide.  1-man - get the Pro.  You won't be disappointed.

Paul ???

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2005, 09:47 PM »
Well... a few of my buddies have the FT pro and I have used his last year. I liked it a lot.  Like you said, its easy to move around.  The pro will fit 2 people, but it gets cramped.
Thanks for your opinion.

popopa

« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2005, 10:11 PM »
I just bought a FT Scout.  I think its perfect for what i use it for.  There is enough more than enough room for me and my gear.

Offline worm_waster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2005, 10:12 PM »
I have the Clam 2000, and find that it makes for a good one man shanty.  It makes a decent shanty for my fiance and I, but I don't mind being close to her ;)....  If I had the jing the trap guide or the yukon is a better choice.IMO.  One thing I have learned about shanties is that everyone that has one likes the one they have.  I think it's for the simple reason that it beats the heck out of sittin outside.w_w.

iceman480

« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2005, 11:35 PM »
I just bought the trap pro it is very roomy. I think if your looking for a one man this would be the one.

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2005, 03:44 AM »
I have had alot of them, in my opinion the only type to get is the flip over design. If it's easy to move you will, mobility is the key to catching more fish. The regular clams are like a folded up suitcase, difficult to pull through the snow.

Offline Gator-Bait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Hear they Taste like Chicken
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2005, 07:49 AM »
Got the clam 2000 can fish two but I like the room plus the blue canvas is nice on the eyes 8) I just like blue
Pull my Finger not my Leg

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2005, 08:30 AM »
Don't forget to think about where these are going to be stored during the off season. The fish trap guide takes up a good bit of space compared to clam tents. If you're only going to use it a couple times, it may be wise to get the one that stores easier. Also, make certain your vehicle can carry the guide. It is 60" long. I have one and it just fits in my Jeep(luckily I measured that before I ordered it). Just a few thoughts for you. Enjoy whichever one you purchase.
Ken                                          

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2005, 08:43 AM »
Thanks for all your opinions.  I think Im sold on the Fish trap pro or scout.  I have a full size van, so carting it wont be an issue and there's lots of room in the barn for storage in the off seasson.
Tight lines!

Offline Fergie2u

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2005, 10:55 AM »
I have the clam guide and love it.  It's big enough for two but great for one

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2005, 11:51 AM »
Well.... I did it.  I just got back from Gander Mtn.  I am the proud owner of a Fist Trap Scout.  Had to call and reserve it cause they sell them as fast as they unload them off the truck!
Im going out Monday for the maiden voyage!  Wish me luck!!!!

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2005, 02:10 PM »
Well.... I did it.  I just got back from Gander Mtn.  I am the proud owner of a Fist Trap Scout.  Had to call and reserve it cause they sell them as fast as they unload them off the truck!
Im going out Monday for the maiden voyage!  Wish me luck!!!!

Best of luck, you'll love it, get a small heater & your in business.
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2005, 02:20 PM »
U might want to go with the FT Pro,  Much more room than the Scout and you can fit a buddy in there in a pinch in the corner in front of you sitting on a bucket.  The Clam is fine if you like to fish tip ups and don't move.  But if you like to be mobile and hop around then FT Scout or Pro is the way to go.  Good luck finding one though this late in the season.....they sell out like hot cakes!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.