Author Topic: Shack runners  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Shack runners
« on: Dec 26, 2004, 05:38 AM »
For 2X6 or 2Xanything runners, has anyone ever tried what metal stud framers call 2" track, which seems like it would wrap nicely around the bottom of your skids and be easily fastened on the sides by sheetrock screws?  I'm sure you know what I mean, Scott.  I see it a lot in my work (electrician) but never thought of using it until after I put on the heavy metal U-shaped stuff I found in my barn.

I don't know where they buy it but don't think HD has metal stud supplies.  Any drywallers or framers on this site?  You could help me there.  I think it measures 1-3/4" or so, which may make it just about right for wrapping a 2X6.  It's very light, also, and requires only tin-snips to work on it.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Shack runners
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2004, 06:11 AM »
poorboy you should be able to find it right at home depot.if not you will want to check with a drywall supplier or lumber yard.you are right it would slide right on.you can get metal framing material in various widths it is very inexpensive and lightweight.quite honestly i dont see a need to put runners on a 2 x anything. they have held up year after year without even a coat of paint on all of my shanties. wther it is sitting on the ice or the ground, i always block it up.the worst damage occurs when it is sitting on the ground for 9 mos of the year.

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Shack runners
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2004, 11:05 AM »
That's good to know.  Without the benefit of my own experience I depend on the knowledge represented here.  If towing it out once and back once is it for the season I guess there really isn't much wear and tear.

Appreciate the reply.  Thanks.     

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.