Author Topic: Calling those with a clam or similar ice shanty  (Read 2054 times)

Offline duketter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Calling those with a clam or similar ice shanty
« on: Dec 18, 2004, 01:36 PM »
Ok, it is about time to do some ice fishing.  Hopefully in the next week or two.  Anyways, I picked up a used clam 5600 this year.  My question is this.  To fold it back down you have to push those tiny buttons in on those poles.  I haven't used it yet out on the ice...but I am thinking it may be hard to do when you are out there, especially if it is cold and you want to go.  I have put it up and taken it down a few times in my basement and sometimes they are hard to push in.

Does anybody have any tips for making these little buttons push in easier?  Maybe spray them with some wd-40?
Everyone know what I am talking about? 

Thanks!

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Calling those with a clam or similar ice shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2004, 06:36 PM »
You think ahead much better than I did, which is good. The problem is not so much that the buttons are hard to push in, it's that condensation forms on the poles, then freezes, even with the heater going. My first idea was WD40, but that froze into a terrible mess. I then went to a silicon spray, which worked better. Have been thinking about trying to coat the poles with wax? Anybody have any ideas??
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2004, 07:33 PM »
Duketter,

I also have the Clam 5600 and have thus far enjoyed it the few times I've used it!!  I haven't however had any problems with the little buttons sticking?  Maybe after lots of use they could start sticking though?  I have yet to get mine setup and cleaned prior to using it this winter - so I'll have to check and see if mine stick.

I would say silicon spray would probably be the best -  I would think wax would eventually dry up a bit wouldn't it?  Silicon though would definately be better than WD...

Offline duketter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2004, 10:01 AM »
I think the silicon would work the best too.  Good thing I didn't try wd-40. 

You would think they could have invented something a little better!!!

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2004, 10:39 AM »
Ya know, it might not even hurt to give the folks @ ClamCorp a call about this.  Maybe they have had similar reports from their customers about this problem and may even have some better advice than the silicon spray?!?!  Certainly wouldn't hurt to try anyways!  If nothing else - good feedback is what makes products better!

Here is the link to Clam's site with their contact info, I'm not sure how to post links but hopefully this will work...

http://www.the-clam.com/info_center.html

Offline duketter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2004, 05:41 PM »
I have sent them an email.  I can post the results when I hear from them!!

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2004, 08:13 PM »
I have a clam 2000 and that has poles that have buttons to release and was having similar problems.  I finally tried car wax and have not had the problem since.  If that doesn't work just keep trying new things.  Just because one thing works for one guy doesn't mean that it will work for the next.
Northwoodsice
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline Skeeter41

• IceShanty Rookie
  • W.H.O Produces Fish
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2004, 06:21 AM »
I have a clam 5600, the buttons only froze once, but all I did was lift my heater up to them for about 20 second and then pushed them in.  Heat does wonders to ice ;D
President/Owner of W.H.O.
Have you Dunnit?
They don't bite it, they eat it.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2004, 07:11 AM »
If you check under "Ice Shack Tips" you'll find alot of good info  ;).
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2004, 10:10 AM »
I wouldn't use WD for anything. It can be corrosive for one thing. TriFlo is a teflon spray which imop, works as good as anything. I use it for guns, reels, mountainbikes, motorcycles...you name it.

Offline duketter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2004, 02:12 PM »
Here is the response from the email I sent to Clam Corporation:

"Some people choose to put some car wax on there poles to get them to slide
easier. I am not sure if this will help the actual button or not but it may."

So I may have to try that if those things give me trouble.

Offline jrsue

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2004, 10:33 PM »
Yes the buttons are very annoying. Its not that the buttons stick, its that the sring is way to stiff, esecially when its bitter cold, its really hard to push them in far enough to release.

I cut a couple 3/8 dia. doll rods 3 inch long and slightly rounded the ends . I keep one in pocket and when I want to take it down I grab the doll rod and use as a tool to depress the buttons. works good ,no more dreading the buttons.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.