Author Topic: Attn: Shappell 3000 DX owners  (Read 3641 times)

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fishermen walk on water!
Attn: Shappell 3000 DX owners
« on: Dec 18, 2004, 09:54 AM »
I saw this year's 3000 DX on display, and it has a new roof support system. If yours is anything like mine, it has a couple patches around the corner of the shanty where the roof tube went through. This uses two 2-pc tubes instead of one, with plastic clips that hold onto the end tubes, and two plastic bows across them that give an arc to the roof, more headroom, better drainage. I called Shappell at 1-888-571-1144, and they sent me the whole kit, with shipping, came to $29.50 (CNY delivery). It came in three days. I just unpacked it, looks great. I'll probably set it up in my driveway today. Ask for the new roof tubes for the 3000 DX. You have two order 4 tubes (two 2-pc) and two bows.

Offline jemmick

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Attn: Shappell 3000 DX owners
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2004, 12:47 PM »
Penguin,
Im new to ice fishing and I just got one and it looks great .It seems to have the roof supports that you speak of . How does it work for you?Where you at in CNY??

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2004, 05:00 PM »
Jemmick;

I'm in Liverpool. I like my Shappell when I'm gonna be in mostly one place, or moving it short distances. I use my Frabill Ranger Solo a lot more, it's more portable. I built a ski-sled to tow the Shappell with my snowmobile, it doesn't drag real easy.

Offline Shaggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2004, 09:01 AM »
I just bought the 3000 and the bows make a big difference compared to my friends without the bows.

Has anyone had any problems with the windows??  they are single stitched and it looks kinda weak.

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2004, 09:53 AM »
I haven't had a problem with the stitching, but the plastic cracked in bitter cold temps. I set it up in my kitchen and put sealing tape on them, using a hair dryer. It held up all last season. Be careful how you fold the windows when temps are in single digits.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2004, 09:30 PM »
If anyone is interested, I just ordered a set for my S4000($30.00 delivered). They said with the S3000 or S4000 to only go with one bow, the material doesn't stretch as much as the canvas on the DX models.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2004, 03:52 AM »
 Penguin, is your Shappell3000dx the old style that you just bought the new roof kit for? The new roof systemfits the old shantys?
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2004, 09:10 AM »
Yes, the roof system fits the old model Shappells.
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2004, 02:24 PM »
Mine's the old one, but they're the same size. I'm gonna go set it up in a little while, I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2004, 03:39 PM »
I bought my shappell3000dx last year and it has the system you explained. I changed the roof support poles to shower curtain rods-beveled at the rubber caps- thanks to info on the Maine board about the plastic clips tending to break.
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2004, 04:45 PM »
I just set it up. I can see how the clips might break in the cold. It sure went up a lot easier, though. One bow is plenty. I tried two, but they pushed the poles apart and leveled off. One stays in place nicely. A tip for first-time users: set it up endwise to the wind, with the end away from you mostly closed. Often the wind just helps pop it right up.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2004, 04:11 PM »
Yep -" the wind will help it pop right up" and sailing we will go,and sailing we will go. Been there - done that!!
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2004, 07:28 PM »
I've had my DX4000 going on 4 years.  The material is very durable.  Never had a problem with the windows, even in below 0 temps but I am careful.  I think the spreaders add a lot to the roof.  I did break one of my little end clips in super cold weather but I'll take the blame, in too much of a rush breaking camp.  I called Shappell just this week and a gentleman said he'd said 2 or 3 right out to me no cost.  Genuine to talk to and very pleasant.  This in my mind is good customer service.  I'd buy another one if needed.  I will carry the shack on top of my XL Shappell JetSled this year.  Broke a ski towing the shack behind my 4 wheeler with too much weight on top.  ie., auger, bait, heater and 25 gallon tank etc......  I should have known better but you have to take necessities on the ice!   ;D  I'd say most of the portable shacks on the market today are pretty high quality.
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline Penguin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2004, 09:20 PM »
Yeah, a heavy wind can be brutal, especially on glare ice. When there's snow I shovel out an area and pack the base in before opening it. I usually use my Frabill Ranger Solo if it's slick or if I need to be more mobile.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.