Author Topic: Frabill Ranger XLTwin  (Read 1410 times)

Offline CaughtYa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wishin' I was ICE fishin'
Frabill Ranger XLTwin
« on: Dec 03, 2004, 10:22 PM »
HI All,

I've been looking at purchasing a two-man flip-over style ice shelter. I'm leaning toward the Frabill Ranger XLTwin. Just wondering if this is a quality product worth  $400 of my hard earned money?

Any advise/comments would be greatly appreciated ;)

The great thing about winter is it ferrets out the wimps!

Offline PAcatchreleaseman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • *happiness is 2 flags at once!*
Re: Frabill Ranger XLTwin
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2004, 06:01 AM »
worth every penny IMO.  especially with the "new" vents they have in 'em this year.....should cut down on the windows foggin /icin up.....
"You Gotta GET-HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMM!!!!!"

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2004, 06:18 AM »
I have a ranger triplex. It seems to be pretty well built and durable. It can be totally blackened inside even in bright sunshine for sight fishing. I really like it for 2 people. 3 can get a little crowded, but it is doable. The seats aren't LAZeBoy style, but definitely better than a bucket. Its kind of heavy to pull fully loaded on snow, but on smooth ice its a breeze. Its also little noisy inside in the wind, but not unbearable. Speaking of breeze, don't forget the anchors. Opening the tent up in even a little wind will have you sliding across the ice like a sailboat. Great if you want to sail, bad if you want to icefish. I'm not sure which is worse, chasing the sled or being in it when it takes off. I usually set up with the wind to my back and drill a couple extra holes about 10 feet behind the sled and then I have ropes tied to each corner with 1/2" x 12" steel conduit attached to the rope. I put the conduit in the holes and pull the sled tight before opening the tent. When I''m ready to move the conduit slips right out of the hole.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline akdg

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2004, 06:43 AM »
I bought one last year and really like it. Anchors are definitely a must if it's windy.  I really like the seats, and if you're going to be towing it behind a sled or four wheeler make sure to get a cover.  The only problem I had with mine so far was from towing it for many miles behind my snowmachine the snow rubbed on the sides where the cover wraps around the sled and wore a hole and cut the elastic :'(. I'm working on making some "rub" rails out of pvc to protect it for this season.  I'll post a pic of them when I finish.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.