Author Topic: Shappell DX3000 Comments?  (Read 3458 times)

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Shappell DX3000 Comments?
« on: Nov 27, 2004, 08:06 AM »
I am very close to purchasing my second home  ;D and wondering if anyone has any feedback on the Shappell DX3000.

Brian

Offline trimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Shappell DX3000 Comments?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2004, 03:58 PM »
I got one last season and don,t know how i did with out it.set up with one person only takes 3 minutes.the full length windows are great for watching tipups.and it folds small enough to fit in a trunk.   

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2004, 02:18 PM »
I'm also looking at a 3000DX at Fleet Farm.  They have it for $245 and thought that was a pretty good buy.  I do have a question though - they say they have optional skis (which I would be interested in) however I can't find a web site or any info on the web.  Does anyone have a web site for theirs or a parent company with info on the 3000DX? 

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2004, 02:22 PM »
I'm also looking at a 3000DX at Fleet Farm.  They have it for $245 and thought that was a pretty good buy.  I do have a question though - they say they have optional skis (which I would be interested in) however I can't find a web site or any info on the web.  Does anyone have a web site for theirs or a parent company with info on the 3000DX? 
http://www.spectacularsports.com/icefish/shelter.html
Ken                                          

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2004, 05:05 PM »
I bought a shapell 3000 11 years ago and still use the same one. It fits 2 comfortably and 3 if it is a real windy cold day. We even cook in it on a portable stove for some terrific hard water lunches. Works great as a sled providing the snow doesn't get too deep. I had to patch up only one hole with some duct tape years ago but other than that I'll have probably for ever. Oh yeah make sure you use the ice anchors and I like to take a small portable shovel with me to shovel some snow/slush around the base to help keep it in place on windy days. Hope this helps!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2004, 08:24 AM »
adkRoy - What kind of anchors doo you use and how do you attach them?  I haven't bought one yet but looked at how I would attach anchors but with the canvas stapled to the sled I couldn't see how they would work. :-[

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2004, 02:29 PM »
Backatit,
     I use metal screw anchors that came w/ my shappel. I find a nice crack in the ice and screw the anchors into it about 4 feet apart and then slip the rope that is used to pull the shanty through these. Then I drill my holes and use my small portable shovel and scoop some slush and snow around the bottom of the shanty as a wind stop/anchor, especially if it is a windy day.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2004, 08:12 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Was at an Ice Fishing Show in St Paul yesterday and picked one up and the guy there told me pretty much the same.  Got some pretty good buys at the show too.  Saved about 150.00 (didn't even have to pay taxes :) and free shipping) with everything I bought by doing a little wheeling and dealing.  Need to pick up a new Vex so I think I'll give them a call and see if they'll deal over the phone.

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2004, 08:35 AM »
 I have had mine for 3 seasons now and I love it. The only thing is the anchoring of it. I use the toggle method. I drill an 8" hole through the ice and I take a piece of steel angle Iron about 14 inches long with a hole drilled thru the middle of it with it tied to the center of the  rope used to pull the shanty. I drop the toggle down below the ice and pull it up snug against the bottom of the ice, then push my shanty in the direction of the wind to tighten the rope so the shanty cant move and then I set it up. This works pretty well if the wind doesn't change direction. I have had it out with 20 mph winds and it held up well. After I set up the shanty I mark the ice under the flaps and just slide the shanty out of the way and drill the 2 holes and push the shanty back so the holes are perfect for jigging. I set up my folding chairs and my buddy heater with a 20 lb tank and I'm styling. I'm thinking about drilling 4 holes in the lip at the height where the sled rope comes thru, but at the corners and making some anchor loops out of clothsline rope and trying out some of those ice anchors too. My shanty pulls across the ice like a dream but in deep snow strap it on top af your jetsled and you won't have a problem getting around.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2004, 03:30 PM »
I do the same thing as Mark,since he made me a toggle! I also screw in 2 ice anchors in the front loops for added protection. Works like a charm.

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2004, 08:41 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=13917.15 I made a couple of these anchors. Check em out!
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2004, 06:33 AM »
 I checked those out and they look pretty good, but when you are done fishing be sure to drill the hole all the way thru so it will refreeze. If it snows and the hole gets hidden someone could snap an ankel.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2004, 09:40 PM »
Bought the DX4000 three years ago and questioned the way the fabric was "stapled" to the base sled.  After three years of hard use, it's still like new!  Quality product.  You guys had  a better idea than I for the ice anchors.  I have two pieces of 2x2s I put down both jigging holes and tie a rope tightly to anchor the shanty.  I'm going to make the anchors out of aluminum as you suggest to keep me from pushing the wood down with my skimmer.  Duhhhhh, why I didn't think of this before!  :cookoo:  The skis are "questionable" if towing behind a sled or ATV.  Can't put much weight on the shanty while towing...  I had to buy a new set of skis after destroying one towing and it collapsed on me.  Also, one of the expander rod end broke and I have yet to find something suitable to replace the end.  Any suggestions?  The Shappell is a great product, sounds like you got a good price and you certainly won't regret having your own shelter needless to say.  Good luck!  Hopes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.