Author Topic: some facts on carbon monoxide  (Read 3416 times)

hammerem

some facts on carbon monoxide
« on: Oct 06, 2004, 07:58 PM »
Here are some facts on carbon monoxide, oxygen and carbon dioxide.
The information is from my mine rescue handbook.

Everyday air contains:  20.94%  oxygen
                                78.09%  nitrogen
                                0.3%   carbon dioxide
                                 0.94% argon
and traces of other gasses like hydrogen, helium, etc.

A flame will extinguish at 16.25% oxygen
At 15% oxygen you may experience dizzyness, ringing in the ear, rapid heartbeat, and/or headache. Death occurs at 6%.

Carbon dioxide:  is the product of combustion and of human respiration.  it is heavier than air.  Increases in carbon dioxide have the same effects as 15% oxygen (above), followed by paralysis of the central nervous system.  When carbon dioxide levels reach 2% of the air respiration is increased 50%.  when at 5% the level of oxygen in the air is considerably lower, and a distinct acid taste is noticed.

Carbon monoxide:  this is the killer.  it is the product of incomplete combustion.  It is colorless, odorless and tasteless.  It is slightly lighter than air.  It causes increasingly severe toxic effects as the concentration and duration of exposure increases.  The effects include:  mild headache (0.0035% of air), weakness, dizzineess, nausea, fainting (0.04%) to loss of conciousness and death at 0.2%. 

The oxygen absorbed from the air in the lungs is normally taken up by the blood in the form of a loose chemical combination with the hemoglobin in the blood.  However , hemoglobin forms a much more stable compound with carbon monoxide than with oxygen.  The affinity of hemoglobin for carbon monoxide is about 300 times its affinity for oxygen.  this means that blood wants to bond with carbon monoxide, reducing its capacity for oxygen. When a person is suffering from poisoning it is important that the carbon monoxide be eliminated from the blood by breathing air in which there is zero carbon monoxide. It may take the body as long as 8 to 10 hours to reduce the carbon monoxide  saturated hemoglobin to 10% of the bloods total hemoglobin.

All this means that carbon monoxide can build up over a weekend even if levels are low.

Now you can decide how you want to heat your shack.

VENTILATE

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: some facts on carbon monoxide
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2004, 11:20 PM »
I think I may have started to get a mild case of poisoning last winter on my last lake trout trip. I was sleeping in my shanty and had a propane heater going. I did have some ventilation though. I started to get a headache and felt flushed and a little nauseauted. So it could have been starting to build up in unsafe levels. I had a few flaps undone on my shanty though so I think that was enough ventilation. Hard to say though. I was concerned about it. It may have been CO poisoning, or maybe not because I was uncomfortable laying in my shanty.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2004, 04:02 PM »
so whats the answer if you want to sleep in your shanty ? carbon minoxide detector?i am building a new shanty and i am seriously thinking of buying one of those glowarm blue flame heaters.but i want to safely be able to sleep in my shanty with my son!!

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2004, 06:24 PM »
yeah those detectors are  cheep. I have smoke  detectors in every room and and carbon minoxide ones in the kitchen area because my cooking has been known to smoke ;).They run $25-50depending on the brand. Might not be pretty but they save lives!
Anthony

hammerem

« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2004, 07:09 PM »
I used a carbon monoxide detector last year.  I have a wood stove and the detector would go off from time to time if I had backdraft.  I would probably trust this for a propane heater, but you may be surprised at how sensitive they are.  I got a propane heater for the shack this year that vents fumes outside. 

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2004, 07:50 PM »
what brand do you have a link?

hammerem

« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2004, 08:06 PM »
Handi Heater
www.bobbershopfishing. com/heaters/handi-heater.html
Was shipped two days ago so I can't tell you how it works yet, but I did extensive searches and this was the best I could find.  I also found a small heater for a camper that was cheap, but I think it was only around 4000 BTU. I think it was from J.C. Whitney.

Handi heater used to be made by strike king (power augers) but they sold to someone else.  the heaters have 3" welded exhaust vents.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2004, 12:36 AM »
I know of a heater called "mr. buddy" that has a low oxygen sensor so it shuts off if too much CO is present. Anybody have one of these?

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We Need Another Ice Age !
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2004, 03:00 PM »
ALL THE ICE HUTS,SHACKS I HAVE EVER MADE OVER THE PAST 20 years i put vents in them .I have used dryer vents, small louver vents off the backs of old dryers and even just an opening up near the roof with a small door I could close if mounted on wood,or a velcro flap sewed to side of hut if made of some other material for when things cool down. they realy solve the problem if you dont want to leave the door open keep fishing!
May the LORD BLESS and keep each of you safe on the ice.

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2004, 11:41 AM »
On my wood shanty I just put a hot air vent in each gable end. You know the type the metel louverd vents that finishes off the end of ductwork. mine are 5by8 and cost $5 eah
Anthony

hammerem

« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2005, 05:59 AM »
Just bumping this up for some who may have missed it.

P Gottshall

« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2005, 12:04 PM »
hammerem,

Very responsible post, on a very serious subject.

Thanks!
Paul

Offline Shack Man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2005, 07:29 PM »
Just a note on burning gas appliances, you need 1sq.in. of ventilation for every 1000btu's it burns.

Example a 9000btu propane heater needs 9sq.in's of ventilation to burn properly and safely!!!

Also Carbon monoxide is absorbed into the blood system 2 times faster than oxygen, and can take from 24hrs.-48hrs. to be removed from the blood stream.
   FISHING IS LIKE SEX, WHEN IT'S GOOD IT'S REAL GOOD AND WHEN IT'S BAD IT'S STILL GOOD......

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2005, 09:52 AM »
good info thanks for posting!!

Offline SLIPPERYFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Got to get on the ice
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2005, 02:54 PM »
Is it feasable to put a CO detector in my portable?  If so, where do I place it?  Near the floor or cieling?
thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.