The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: cusk  (Read 1370 times)

Offline speedyrower17

• Team IceShanty Maniac
cusk
« on: Feb 11, 2010, 03:10 PM »
i'm going to be cusk fishing next week sometime, i have never done it so i was wondering for some tips. we already know where we will b fishing so i'm not looking for spot. dead bait on the bottom? drop offs or shallows?  any help is appreciated

Offline mtaeagles15

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: cusk
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2010, 03:12 PM »
If i was you id fish 5 10 15 fow. Find a place that is rocky. Cusk feed on crayfish
Wide open throttle and Coors in a bottle.

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2010, 03:20 PM »
If i was you id fish 5 10 15 fow. Find a place that is rocky. Cusk feed on crayfish
well said...and if you are to jig I would use a lure that will make a tinging sound of the rock to imitate a crayfish ;)

Offline speedyrower17

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2010, 03:29 PM »
thanks guys.. much appreciated

Offline lovtofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Norway, Maine
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2010, 03:38 PM »
Both of the above posts are right on.  Just to add my thoughts, I like to use dead "smelly" bait like suckers or sea smelts that have been around awhile.  The more they stink the better.  Just chunk them up and put them on the botton.  I use Sweedish Pimples tip with dead bait.  Shallow water is better this time of year as they will be coming in to shore to spawn.  Hope this helps.
Norm

Offline speedyrower17

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2010, 04:48 PM »
thanks

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2010, 05:23 PM »
Don't be afraid to use a big bait,I use suckers 6-10 inches long with a good boot stomp.Hook them through the lip.A good size cusk has no problem inhaling a big bait plus i've caught quite a few togue this way while cusk fishing at night.I like fresh bait because of the togue factor.As others have said,5-20 fow seems to produce well in Febuary.

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:29 PM »
I use leftover smelt from the spring dipping that have been in the freezer all summer. I put 2-3 on a size 2 hook and lay it right on bottom. The more they freeze and then thaw, the smellier they get and the cusk love them. Also keep them inside your coat in a ziploc bag so your body heat makes them warm and smelly also.

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:33 PM »
well said...and if you are to jig I would use a lure that will make a tinging sound of the rock to imitate a crayfish ;)

Thats the first time i heard of jigging cusk. I did not realize you could get them that way. and another first is i did not know crayfish made a tinging sound... whats up with that they got a steel shell  ;D

Offline flytyr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:36 PM »
I would like to fish for cusk too. Should I try fishing for them at night and do you guys get alot of perch fishing on the bottom?

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:38 PM »
4-6 inch glow grub style jigs work well too.

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:41 PM »
Up your way flytyr I would say fish them at night. My family always used to fish them at night on Long and Square back a while ago. There are only two places that I have had consistently good luck fishing for them during the day and that is Chesuncook and East Grand.

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:45 PM »
Thats the first time i heard of jigging cusk. I did not realize you could get them that way. and another first is i did not know crayfish made a tinging sound... whats up with that they got a steel shell  ;D
:roflmao: :clap:

Offline flytyr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2010, 07:34 PM »
Up your way flytyr I would say fish them at night. My family always used to fish them at night on Long and Square back a while ago. There are only two places that I have had consistently good luck fishing for them during the day and that is Chesuncook and East Grand.

Thanks I'm proably going to long saturday and will try for cusk then. Gives me something to do with my other 4 lines when i'm jigging for smelt.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.