Author Topic: ice fishing rod caese  (Read 2275 times)

Offline trapperdave1

• IceShanty Rookie
ice fishing rod caese
« on: Dec 23, 2018, 02:22 PM »
hello im looking for any ideas on making a rod case or buying one.can anyone give any suggestions

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
Re: ice fishing rod caese
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2018, 02:40 PM »
How many rods do you want to carry and how do you transport the case (walk, snowmobile, car)? 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline troutslayer97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Alex Serdiouk
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2018, 03:54 AM »
Just buy an eagle claw rod. Seems like they have plenty of room and only  around $40

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2018, 05:05 AM »
Cabelas sells some nice ones. Several different sizes.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 24, 2018, 05:19 AM »
Just buy an eagle claw rod. Seems like they have plenty of room and only  around $40
X2 nice case for the money

Offline belowzero

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24, 2018, 06:19 AM »
Flambeau same as Eagle Claw, I fit 7 rods in mine

Offline emmettid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 24, 2018, 06:38 AM »
fo my use only local ponds,a cabelas 4 pole soft case and bought 4 tubes that you would put your golf clubs in and it works fine for me,good luck. oh yes about 35.00 for all

Offline maxmartens

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2018, 11:25 AM »
I use a hard plastic gun case that had a foam insert can normally get them cheap at most places holds alot of rods too!

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2018, 11:42 AM »
I was using a TA softsider and thought I wanted one of these. When they went on sale for $30 I bit. Certainly big enough for several rod/reel combos and a number of boxes or other items.

But... It's big. On the outside. And it consumes a good bit of space.That's a negative if you're running a smaller sled like the small Otter Pro I often pull. It's also not friendly to carry around on the ice. I decided to use it as a rod "safe" in the truck but cherry pick combos into the softsider for actual fishing. Got the softsider stiffened up a bit with some coroplast inserts and use rod slicks on my rods for additional protection.

I haven't compared them in the store but the pics of the Flambeau are so similar to the EC it might be the same thing with a different label. Happens all the time.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline bowmandan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2018, 12:22 PM »
 Check the archery departments for arrow cases. Pretty much the same case only a third the price

Offline Matt76cmich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2018, 06:36 PM »
For my longer rods (36") I went with the 42" Flambeau Tactical case and took the foam out where the reels go. I can fit 6 rods. I forget what forum that posted the video of the guy who I got the idea from. I haven't added any lure boxes since I bring a small tackle bag (3 boxes and 1 small jig box) with extra leaders, terminal stuff, scissors,  long needle nose, and etc.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2018, 10:03 PM »
Flambeau same as Eagle Claw, I fit 7 rods in mine(Image removed from quote.)
Can you link me to this somewhere, I will buy it right now. :)
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2018, 12:04 AM »
I didn't put the white styrofoam in mine , but the cheap gun cases hold 6 of my ice fishing rods . You could put a full size rod in it if you broke it down to 2 pieces . I bought mine at Dunham's Sports , but I'm sure your local Walmart has the same ones .

Offline belowzero

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2018, 05:42 AM »
I didn't put the white styrofoam in mine , but the cheap gun cases hold 6 of my ice fishing rods . You could put a full size rod in it if you broke it down to 2 pieces . I bought mine at Dunham's Sports , but I'm sure your local Walmart has the same ones .
That what I made dividers off it's not a styrofoam, it's some sort of packing material that they used for a range hood we bought, it's very durable. The way I arranged my combos only two of them I need to fold handles off, rest of them they ready to go without disturbing other rods.
DrCro here is the link
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/flambeau-black-rod-bunk-box/0000000257872?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Nai3LG93wIVAV6GCh0sfgPPEAQYASABEgKaifD_BwE

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2018, 09:46 AM »
You did a nice custom job arranging them like that . I just layed mine in the regular foam .

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2018, 11:02 AM »
That what I made dividers off it's not a styrofoam, it's some sort of packing material that they used for a range hood we bought, it's very durable. The way I arranged my combos only two of them I need to fold handles off, rest of them they ready to go without disturbing other rods.
DrCro here is the link
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/flambeau-black-rod-bunk-box/0000000257872?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Nai3LG93wIVAV6GCh0sfgPPEAQYASABEgKaifD_BwE
Thank you a million brother, it has been ordered after taxes and shipping $52 will be here mid next week. Really excited for this one. :)
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2018, 02:34 PM »
I bought an Eagle Claw case this year. Pretty nice...
Master Laker taker.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.