The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 10" Maneater  (Read 1793 times)

Offline FishinDJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
10" Maneater
« on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:15 PM »
    While fishing Lake Fairlee this afternoon, I was mid stride, running for a flag, when my right leg found a perfectly concealed 10" hole. I went down hard and my leg went in all the way to my crotch. Happened so quick it took me a few seconds to pull it together and get myself out. As I stood up, I figured my day was shot and any second the icy water would soak thru to my skin but apparently my Striker bibs did their job. ;D I know they aren't really designed to keep water out but they did, and if I didn't have them on I would have been pulling tip ups and heading for the car. I'm not against 10" augers-ice fishing is dicey game with many risks involved. The Fairlee derby was on Sunday and that place was swiss cheese. The snow that evening perfectly concealed and insulated  those holes and they never froze back over. Im sure there plenty of other scenarios statewide. Just wanted to give folks a heads up if you venture out there, stay safe. And if you've been on the fence about buying a suit........

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
Re: 10" Maneater
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2017, 11:46 PM »
Good reason to strap on the snowshoes. Your right, the Islands derby on Champlain took place last weekend as well so it could be dangerous. Luckily you didnt break your leg!
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2017, 06:38 AM »
I remember getting told when I bought my 8" auger getting told by a fellow shopper that those holes are just too big.
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline peteinvermont

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2017, 07:19 AM »
It happened to me when I was a kid, at night.  We were walking out to the deep water for some night smelt fishing, and one leg went into a 10".  The wind was blowing, you couldn't hear much, and it was completely dark, other than my cheap 80's flashlight.  Scared the bejeezus out of me. 

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2017, 07:54 AM »
Saw a guy last season break his leg in a 10in. It was brutal, after seeing that I always walk a clear path to my lines after setting up.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2017, 08:00 AM »
Good reason to strap on the snowshoes. Your right, the Islands derby on Champlain took place last weekend as well so it could be dangerous. Luckily you didnt break your leg!

Good idea!    Snow shoes will also keep you out of much of the under snow slush. 
Dick

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2017, 08:33 AM »
Saw a guy last season break his leg in a 10in. It was brutal, after seeing that I always walk a clear path to my lines after setting up.

Was that on Caspian?

Offline Spoondangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2017, 08:39 AM »
Ouch.  I hope my big boots help mew avoid this

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2017, 10:18 AM »
My Baffin Titans are 14" long, but not sure that would stop me from ending up in 10" hole, depending on how you hit it.  Glad to hear you are OK, FishingDJ!  Could have been a lot worse.

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2017, 10:40 AM »
Was that on Caspian?

No, this was on a trip over in MN.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2017, 10:41 AM »
I did the same thing at Dillenback about 4 years ago, sucks!

Offline Cascade77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2017, 12:28 PM »
Same thing happened to me on Willoughby this weekend.   They guys next door had pulled up the evening before and actually marked (most of) their holes with sticks.  It snowed that night and there was no sign of them.  Scary thing was that I had my 3 year old out on the ice that evening.  She could have gone all the way in.  Will never let her walk alone on the ice again. 

Offline Registered Kayak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ..............and then there were none.
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2017, 09:39 AM »
Same thing happened to me on Willoughby this weekend.   They guys next door had pulled up the evening before and actually marked (most of) their holes with sticks.  It snowed that night and there was no sign of them.  Scary thing was that I had my 3 year old out on the ice that evening.  She could have gone all the way in.  Will never let her walk alone on the ice again.
I make mine wear a life jacket for that reason. Just a tip that might save a life for anyone reading this.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.