The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 1 species of fish that has evaded you!?!?  (Read 3956 times)

Offline FlyPredatorVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 1 species of fish that has evaded you!?!?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:11 PM »
Mooneye are in their own family actually and not related to minnows but certainly resemble them. There used to be a decent population of them on the lake years ago but they are pretty uncommon these days. I have heard reports of them from different areas including in the Winooski. I talked with a guy who used to get them regularly on grasshopper patterns in a location in Bulwagga Bay.

I'm pretty sure that I have seen a couple of quillback in Burlington Bay over the years. Hoping to get a shot at one on a fly...
Avid fly angler, rookie ice fisherman, lifetime fish geek

Offline Colddriver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:16 PM »
Muskie in Illinois.....

Offline spot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 22, 2017, 08:35 PM »
Mooneye are in their own family actually and not related to minnows but certainly resemble them.

I was using the term "minnow" loosely, but yes, it's accurate to say that mooneyes aren't true minnows in the textbook sense. :)
May the fish be with you.

Randy

Offline fishermarsh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:18 AM »
I used to catch mooneyes on a regular basis in the Winooski.  This was many years ago, before they built the dam, summer of 92 if I remember correctly.  I lived in downtown Winooski and would fish the hole almost every day if the weather was good.  You would see mooneyes rising at dusk just like a feeding trout.  I don't ever remember catching one during the day, but right before dark they would suddenly appear.  They weren't always eager to hit a dry but if you timed it just right they would take.  A #12 or 14 elk hair caddis usually did the trick for me.  Good luck to you, they are a beautiful fish.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 23, 2017, 08:28 AM »
Through the ice I'd like to catch a decent walleye, salmon, rainbow or brown.  Have caught little walleye through the ice on Carmi, but no keepers.  Have never caught a salmon, rainbow or brown through the ice.  May not get a chance to target them on Champlain this year, either, if the weather doesn't turn around. 

Offline CrappieVermonter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:44 AM »
I hope the state doesn't stock a useless fish like a tiger muskie it's a sterile fish so it would have to be stocked every year. I've always wondered why they don't try and stock more walleye bring champlain back as a great walleye lake and try them in bomoseen instead of trout. The one fish I can't seem to get through the ice is a native brookie

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:47 AM »
Gar
20 lb + laker
Through the ice

Offline koissu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 23, 2017, 10:55 AM »
I have been pretty fortunate with my fishing, I have caught every species on the Vermont Master Angler Program list, although I still need to get a whitefish and a pike/pickerel hybrid large enough to qualify.

The three I would love to get at some point are a lake sturgeon, mooneye and a quillback. Unfortunately, all of these are threatened or endangered... so, at least at this point I probably won't intentionally target them.

There are a few species that I would love to get through the ice at some point though... bowfin is close to the top of that list! I love the idea of pulling a big mama bowfin through a hole!

In the summer, I see some nice bowfin in Shelburne Bay in the shallows near the shipyard - just hanging out right near the surface. Not looking like we will be getting ice there this year.

I know it's a very common one, but I'd like to pull ANY laker through the ice. I've only been ice fishing since last winter, and the two I've hooked got loose at the hole.

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 23, 2017, 11:11 AM »
Mine would be Catfish, or Gar. I would love to catch either of those.

Offline Cascade77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:00 PM »
I have been pretty fortunate with my fishing, I have caught every species on the Vermont Master Angler Program list, although I still need to get a whitefish and a pike/pickerel hybrid large enough to qualify.

The three I would love to get at some point are a lake sturgeon, mooneye and a quillback. Unfortunately, all of these are threatened or endangered... so, at least at this point I probably won't intentionally target them.

There are a few species that I would love to get through the ice at some point though... bowfin is close to the top of that list! I love the idea of pulling a big mama bowfin through a hole!

On what lake did you catch your Burbot?  What was the length?

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:06 PM »
Burbot are easy, set up for walleye on champlain and you can't keep the things off your hook.

Offline FlyPredatorVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 23, 2017, 12:08 PM »
I got it on Willoughby- 25". 22" is the minimum. I'm sure the next state record will come out of Champlain though. I might put some time this year into looking for them... if I find the whitefish and hybrid!

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 24, 2017, 08:31 AM »
Still looking for a night crappie bite in VT. Would really like to get into a big laker as well.

Offline fishkopp

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Life's Short Fish Hard
« Reply #43 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:08 AM »
Never landed a sheeps head, had a really big one boat side once , but he spit the crank bait.
I think this hole's too small

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:27 AM »
green trout. lol I cant seem to get them to come through the hole.

Offline JackMoose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:19 PM »
Mako

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:28 PM »

Caught one of those through the ice with a metal scoop. A few years ago it was below zero and I was catching bluegills out of my fish trap at the Dillenback access in Alburgh. The bite kept falling off and a large bowfin would come right up in the hole gulping air. I got sick of it and when the hole started to go dark I grabbed my scoop and when she poked her head up I smacked it on the head. That scared the fish and it swung the tail and right up onto my lap it came. I was shocked and trying to stay away from those teeth and pushed it off my lap and it landed on the fish bucket knocking it and the Mr Buddy over. The top had become frozen down on the ice and I had to kick at the fabric to break it free to get the fish away from me. It was about 12 pounds and I had to cut a fresh 6" hole just to squeeze it back into the lake. The question...I have never caught a musky either through the ice or open water.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline FlyPredatorVT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 24, 2017, 03:56 PM »
I would love to get a big bowfin through the ice, but not like that! I have had them pull some pretty crazy maneuvers on me before, but I have never ended up with one in my lap!

If you want a musky Otter Creek is the place. Vergennes, below the dam. Wait for summer and toss big inline spinners at dawn and dusk. Best place in Vermont to find them. Good luck- just use a heavy wire leader and 30 lb braid and you are all set!

Offline Spike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:45 PM »
Amazing!  I can't believe how many walleye has been the elusive fish on this post, and a great post it is.  I have caught everything on my 50 years of fishing.  Fresh water and salt water.  Mainly salt water now.  So I was hesitant to add my elusive fish becasue I thougt I was the only one.     

WALLEYE!

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:38 PM »
Caught one of those through the ice with a metal scoop. A few years ago it was below zero and I was catching bluegills out of my fish trap at the Dillenback access in Alburgh. The bite kept falling off and a large bowfin would come right up in the hole gulping air. I got sick of it and when the hole started to go dark I grabbed my scoop and when she poked her head up I smacked it on the head. That scared the fish and it swung the tail and right up onto my lap it came. I was shocked and trying to stay away from those teeth and pushed it off my lap and it landed on the fish bucket knocking it and the Mr Buddy over. The top had become frozen down on the ice and I had to kick at the fabric to break it free to get the fish away from me. It was about 12 pounds and I had to cut a fresh 6" hole just to squeeze it back into the lake. The question...I have never caught a musky either through the ice or open water.

That is so awesone. Seeing how bold bowfin can be makes it even funnier. She was just casually popping her nose out of your hole while you were fishing?  Then she threw herself at you?  Pure gold!!

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 24, 2017, 09:55 PM »
Walleye god those fish make me so angry!!! I grew up fishing small creeks and streams for trout....I'm a freaking trout slayer....anyways after getting out of the navy I moved by a very large river Susquehanna river....well I bought a jet boat and been chasing walleye on that river ever since ....I have chased them walleye around all dang ice season and yet to catch one....guys here in PA are super hush hush about walleye cannot get any pointers in regards to walleye.... I've read books watched countless shows....inside turns, humps, flats, points sharp breaks weed edges....I've made insight gennisis maps in the summer with my boat to gather contour maps for these small bodies of water...bc there are no contour maps available...needless to say I've spent countless hours preparing for ice season to just try to catch a dang walleye through the ice....I sure hope my luck changes this weekend hahaha....otherwise I'm selling this house and moving to some other state that has huge populations of walleye to catch.....

Offline Fish Hard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 25, 2017, 04:28 AM »
Walleye god those fish make me so angry!!! I grew up fishing small creeks and streams for trout....I'm a freaking trout slayer....anyways after getting out of the navy I moved by a very large river Susquehanna river....well I bought a jet boat and been chasing walleye on that river ever since ....I have chased them walleye around all dang ice season and yet to catch one....guys here in PA are super hush hush about walleye cannot get any pointers in regards to walleye.... I've read books watched countless shows....inside turns, humps, flats, points sharp breaks weed edges....I've made insight gennisis maps in the summer with my boat to gather contour maps for these small bodies of water...bc there are no contour maps available...needless to say I've spent countless hours preparing for ice season to just try to catch a dang walleye through the ice....I sure hope my luck changes this weekend hahaha....otherwise I'm selling this house and moving to some other state that has huge populations of walleye to catch.....

The first few walleye that I caught through the ice came while I was fishing for trout in shallow water-3 ft...

Offline Jason1817

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 25, 2017, 08:41 AM »
I have been reading about that lately super shallow....I'm going to give it a go in the evening hours this weekend

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #53 on: Jan 25, 2017, 11:21 AM »
Thanks for all the posts every1 this has been a great thread with lots of great info to go with it
Good luck and stay safe out there :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.