Author Topic: Furry Visiter!  (Read 2887 times)

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Furry Visiter!
« on: Jan 28, 2007, 08:57 AM »
My wife and I were out fishing yesterday when a muskrat decided to swim in one of our holes inside our shack. Now if you want to talk instant high intensity excitement ... I think we just redefined it right here! We had only been set up in our trusty Shappell for about 20 minutes when this guy came along. FORTUNATELY he just poked his head in for a gulp of air and moved along. But he came back several times during our four hour stay there.
Needless to say my wife was never bored for a minute!

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Furry Visiter!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2007, 12:29 PM »
My wife and I were out fishing yesterday when a muskrat decided to swim in one of our holes inside our shack. Now if you want to talk instant high intensity excitement ... I think we just redefined it right here! We had only been set up in our trusty Shappell for about 20 minutes when this guy came along. FORTUNATELY he just poked his head in for a gulp of air and moved along. But he came back several times during our four hour stay there.

Lobes did you make it to Crystal Sat???  Just wondering if I might get a surprise or not.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2007, 02:26 PM »

Muskrats are very interesting to watch, but not that close...

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline icefishermandave

• IceShanty Rookie
  • i do!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2007, 02:39 PM »
 ;D that sounds awesome  ;D
fishing isn't a matter of life and death its much more important!!!

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2007, 05:38 PM »
been there before. it does get you're attention !

Offline crappiegirl15

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater bozak!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:45 PM »
I actually caught one once on a tip up,  thought I had the biggest fish of my life on the other end the way line was moving, but when i pulled about 2 pounds of weeds off my line and saw a brown furry face that snorted at me realized it was not a species I was persuing. didnt fit through the hole all the way, so I let it get some breathing time, cut the line at the mouth, and sent her on her way with a gentle boot. Could have been a beaver I guess I felt bad for a long time, poor thing.
Ice Freak

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:53 PM »

:clap: :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap: oh that just cracked me up i could only imagine what the wife did!!! I know exactly what mine would have done!! :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Medson25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:20 AM »
i had one come up and almost bite my nose. i didn't have much ice fishing gear at the time. ok i had a hand auger, scoop, rod and some jigs. i was laying with my face over the hole to do some sight fishing when a muscrat came up through my hole. i don't think i've jumped that high since. gave my buddies a laugh.

Offline brookiebomber477

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if i ain't icefishin'...i ain't happy!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:26 AM »
i was out on an inch of clear ice on the pond behind my house earlier this year with my dog and all of the sudden she started freaking out and scratching the ice under her. i walked over and i saw a muskrat swimming around under the ice, he stopped for a second and looked up at us and swam into his den under the ice.

Offline steelieATC

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2007, 09:31 AM »
how did look on th eaqua view or vex :o

Offline Profishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • keep the tackle box free of old minnows :)
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2007, 10:26 AM »

Furry rabid vistor should have coaxed it in and set the hook on it what a fight a rat on light line hell after landing the furry vistor you should have skinned strched it and dryed it.
Warning dont mess with a muskrat on dry land or on the ice he will give you a fight like a tiger!

I heard they are going for over 7.00 bucks a pelt !!! good cash if you catch a thousand. ;D March is comming and the muskrat pushups will be peekin out all over the lakes. 

Offline modeltrainlover

• IceShanty Rookie
  • pike maniac!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2007, 08:47 PM »
Furry rabid vistor should have coaxed it in and set the hook on it what a fight a rat on light line hell after landing the furry vistor you should have skinned strched it and dryed it.
Agreed. Did you ever try spitting your chaw tobaccy in it's face when it pops out? They're pretty smart, they don't come back to that hole.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2007, 02:32 PM »
Never did see him on the Aqua-Vu or the Vexilar. He was staying just below the ice. My wife was trying to stay perched just above the shack everytime he came around. That was a blast!. My sides were aching from extreme laughing!!!

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:43 PM »
     Thats a good story sounded like fun.. it sounds a lot more fun than a snake in the boat.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:47 PM »
     Thats a good story sounded like fun.. it sounds a lot more fun than a snake in the boat.
Never had a snake in the boat, but had a mouse which I caught with a trap. I also had a pretty tame hen mallard once.  Loved junk food.

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2007, 07:53 PM »
Never did see him on the Aqua-Vu or the Vexilar. He was staying just below the ice. My wife was trying to stay perched just above the shack everytime he came around. That was a blast!. My sides were aching from extreme laughing!!!

lmao Would loved to been there and seen it. I know what my wife would have done after the 1st sighting. She would have been in the truck yelling at me to pack it up. lol  ;D ;D ;D
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2007, 08:35 AM »
i was out fishing a couple nights ago.  im lookin at my vex, and nothings really happening, suddenly i see something big swim past, just under the ice, i thought it was a big pike.  so i bring my jig up high, and im waiting, and a big nurbot swims up, and about jumps out of the hole my transducer was in, he poked his head out of the water, made a gulping sound, and shot back down into the hole, scared the hell out of me   :roflmao: 
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2007, 09:00 PM »
I had one come up a hole and sit in the corner of my friends shanty for a few minutes and eat something that it brought with it. After a few minutes it went back down and didn't return again.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Wildwood

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Dead is Dead - Meat is Meat
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2007, 06:15 AM »
My buddy once caught a muskrat on a tip-up. Somehow the hook snagged the base of his tail. It was funny because this guy can usually tell whats on the other end by how its fighting - had no idea on the M-rat!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.