Author Topic: Known Ice hazards On SK. Water Bodies.  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
Known Ice hazards On SK. Water Bodies.
« on: Jan 09, 2024, 12:19 AM »
Hi All,
Due to recent events this winter I thought it might be a good idea to start a post on what ice hazards any of you have observed this season, like ice heaves, as they can change from year to year, or, known hazards that are always present that you feel others should know about. :blink:

I will start, with a few of the things I am aware of, but, this is by no means a complete list of issues that could present problems for ice fishing, and as well, new issues not posted at this time can arise.
So, as of this date...

Fishing Lake.
Fair sized pressure ridge can be seen this season when you enter the lake from the N or W launch area, do not cross or approach.

Whitesand / Pelican Lake.
Heard about a pressure ridge running out from the main point out into the lake, do not cross or approach.

Margo Lake.
Small pressure ridge building in the back of the only real bay on the lake to the S.
There is also a beaver lodge in the back that will have thin ice around it, stay out of the bay.

Last Mountain Lake.
Spring coming out from the E shoreline not too far N from the boat launch at the Regional Park.
Do not travel along the E shoreline when first entering the lake travelling N.  Locals can tell you of others.

Strong current area / possible spring, close to the tip of Pelican Pointe'.
Follow the tracks the locals take out and around it for a good long ways.
Do not cut across the point due to thin ice, and, usually open water, even in very cold temps.

Katepwa Lake.
In the past I have found thin ice near the tip of the Katepwa Beach Point.
I was ice fishing there a few years ago, drilling from deep to shallow, and discovered that the ice depth went from 18" of ice further out, to only 6" of ice near the tip. That was a bit scary to find out. Good thing my vehicle was a good ways out on solid ice.
There is strong current there due to the narrowing of the lake in the area.

I have never been to the Lake View Point on the other side, but suspect it could be the same, thinner ice near the tip.

Please feel free to add to the list of cautions regarding these and other bodies of water that you have encountered or heard of and would like to share.

Lets help each other be safe out there.  Good ice fishing. :tipup:

Thanks, :)

WW

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Known Ice hazards On SK. Water Bodies.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2024, 11:21 AM »
Great post WW, a different winter for sure.

I can add that deschambault lake is very rough going.  Lots of small heaves and jagged ice out past Williams island.  Go slow and make sure you've got a good GPS track if fishing into the dark.  Pretty crazy to see the ice stacked up on the south shores like it is.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2024, 08:18 PM »
Great idea WW.

My friend sent me pics of a really bad spot on dief. It’s in coteau bay, virtually straight south of the boat launch and in the middle of the bay.

It’s a gas well he said is there every year and only forms a couple inches of ice on the surface. Really dangerous spot for anyone travelling in that area on dief. Please watch out for this one.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2024, 02:26 PM »
Is there a chance you can share those photos and location? I did notice some branches stuck in the snow near the Chanel east of the launch on the north side, not sure if thats what he’s referring to

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2024, 03:39 PM »

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2024, 03:47 PM »
Thanks for sharing, interesting hazzard

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2024, 05:29 PM »
That would definitely ruin your day more then one way...Thanks for the heads up.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2024, 06:30 PM »
You bet 👍

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.