Author Topic: BIG NORTHERNS ON TIP UPS  (Read 10774 times)

MNwalleyeGUY

BIG NORTHERNS ON TIP UPS
« on: Dec 26, 2002, 03:47 PM »
I fish on a lake for Northerns with tip ups quite frequently and very rarely catch one
under 3 pounds.  I was wondering what would be the best way to set the hook.
let them run or wait until they stop or any other suggestions you may have.

your suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
Re: BIG NORTHERNS ON TIP UPS
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2002, 04:50 PM »
hit em hard on the run big pike will take the bait whole unless it is a large minnow (over 8 in) if it is large let him stop running give it a munit to flip the bait so it is head first then it should start to move again thats when i set the hook. :'(

RSQCAL

« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2002, 02:16 AM »
I'd have to agree. Wait until the fish starts it's second run then set the hook. Always pull with a steady hand over hand method this keeps the line nice and tight. A slack line will usually lead to a lost fish. I have found this more so with Northerns then some other game fish. I tended to loose more fish if I get to the tip up to soon then to late (when I first started fishing Northerns). Did'nt have the patients to let the line sit until the second run. Good Luck!!  :'(

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2002, 02:51 AM »
I use a quick strike rig (a leader made up with 2 treb hooks; one near the baits tail one near the head).  These things are killer on big pike and T-muskys, if the line is moving set the hook.  
Luck
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 27, 2002, 07:33 AM »
dogfish do you buy em pre rigged or make them. if you buy where do you get em from?

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2002, 08:03 AM »
Holeinhide
I make my own.  The original design was based on an "in-fisherman" design, but every year I try to "build a better mouse trap"
I now use a 3 ft leader of 25lb test Monofloro-carbon.  This leader is attached to the 2 treb. hooks (#4 thru #8) that are connected by wire leader.
This year I came up with a way to make the 2 hooks adjustable for different size baits.  I have not used them yet for a success rate but I will be on the ice tomarrow giving them a try.
Stay dry  Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2003, 05:39 PM »
I use circle hooks for pike. just hold the line tight when they run. hooks them most every time. I have found that it works best with smaller baits. they dont always grab the whole bait when using big ones.  

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2003, 10:48 PM »
I agree with letting him stop and setting the hook on the second run.  It's tough to be patient, but ya must wait.  This is really true if you use large bait like big smelt, Horse Herring, and big Ciscoe.  Oh yeah, if the fish drops the bait, try to "reel" the bait in inch. by inch. until you get it back through the hole.  I have had a ton of Pike pick up the bait on the second try, (mostly hammer handles since they couldn't put it in thier mouth the first time eh!) :'( :'(  -Barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2003, 09:56 AM »
jp and dogfish are both right. If your state allows two trebles or two partridge-v's, than thats a sure fire way to hook them in the jaw. Circles will do well also, but, if your not used to them, you can pull them out of the fishes mouth if yuou try to set the hook. You learn pretty quick with circles, there all I use in the saltwater.

Offline buck4dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is life the rest is just details
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2003, 11:55 AM »
i agree if there running let them go a minute if they stop
wait once they get the bait and start chewing they will run again.then set the hook

RSQCAL

« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2003, 03:52 PM »
Hey whats the deal with circle hooks. I've never herd of them until I started the forum. Any ideas were I can look at them on the web. Give me some info please? :'( :'( :'(

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2003, 04:34 PM »
I wait for the second run also, then a quick jerk, then a steady pull in, if he runs again just keep a steady pressure and let him take it.

neil2fish

« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2003, 01:33 PM »
I'll join JP on the circle hook side.  I started with them last year.  I use Polar tip-ups and as long as the top is spinnig Ijust grab it and lift3-4 feet firmly. RARELY miss one this way.

Tight lines!

Offline myfishstory

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fisherman are a dying breed of gentlemen
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2003, 09:06 AM »
I also use the two hook style, one under the head and the other under the tailso the bait hangs vertical. Rarely miss a fish if I wait for tthe second run very important to do that.          The circle hook is new to me more info would be great.I hate to just stick with one game plan, like to try new things, man there is so much since i've been on this site. I've tried most I read an d they work,I'm a better fisherman for that. But more info on circle hooks would be great, how to hook bait to where to buy them.

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing rules, let there be ice !!!!
Re:Big Northerns On Tip Ups
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2003, 10:29 AM »
i got a 40inch 11pound 4once northern on 4 inch minnow

Ben

grumpymoe

« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2003, 01:15 PM »
rsqcal--theres a good discussion on a post this month on circle hooks-i'm sure you'll find it--pros and cons alike--i haven't tried them yet this year as i have been very busy with all i can handle just using one jigging rod in the shanty but will try them soon in the new year :'( :'( :'(

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2003, 10:58 PM »
If people would read my thing about quick strike rigs they wouldn't have to ask these questions, thats what I put it up for
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2003, 12:11 AM »
I agree to let them run until they stop.I am mostly a catch and release and have had nearly 0 foul hooks on a single barbed hook and very few misses.
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing rules, let there be ice !!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2004, 10:20 PM »
i use a #1 single hook and let the pike run intill it stops then i yank it.    

Ben

acsacmboy

« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2004, 10:48 AM »
i prefer to whack um after the first run and almost the second run. by them they have the hook good.

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2004, 10:51 AM »
I fish on a lake for Northerns with tip ups quite frequently and very rarely catch one
under 3 pounds.  I was wondering what would be the best way to set the hook.
let them run or wait until they stop or any other suggestions you may have.

your suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

I don't exactly how you rig your tip-ups, or anyone else for that matter, but I know from personal experience that you can't beat a good circle hook for hooking fish. As a matter of fact, I just bought some snelled size#6 circle hooks for ice fishing yesterday at Dick's Sporting Goods. I know from using them for stripers in the spring that they work GREAT!!!!!

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 04, 2004, 05:41 PM »
I don't know if any of you guys have tried this but I tie a steel leader onto my black 20 or 25# tipup line and just snap on a fair size treble hook. I take the treble hook and push it thru the middle of the smelt so two of the barbs are buried in the smelt and just clip my snap swivel from the leader onto the treble and put a small sinker (rubbercore) or 2 or 3 large split shot on the leader or above and drop it down and then the smelt lies pretty parallel and I think looks more real. It has been working well for me as I have caught quite a few 15 to 20 #ers the last couple years. (C &  R all of them) Hopefully maybe get a big one for the tourney. Hope this works for somebody else too. Tight lines!!

MUSKY 2004

« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2004, 08:15 PM »
I LIKE TO LET THEM RUN,THEN WHEN THEY STOP LET EM HAVE IT.

MUSKY 2004

« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2004, 08:17 PM »
I WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE DONE RUNNING,THEN SET THE HOOK.I HAVE SEEN SO MANY PEOPLE LOOSE PIKE BECAUSE THEY SET TO EARLY.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2004, 09:27 AM »
Nine times out of ten you can set the hook right away with a quick strike rig. Thus the name quick strike. I use large baits, large treble hooks and catch large fish.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2004, 12:29 PM »
I've started hitting them on the first run, haven't lost a fish yet, and am getting very releasable fish.  Flag trips, I get over to the tipup, grab the spindle and the "t" while it's spinning and pull up, setting the hook - bam, fish on!  I'm typically using a single #8 treble (mustad triplegrip) on 18lb sevenstrand homemade leaders.  My deadbait rig is a modified quickstrike rig built similarly with sevenstrand and the #8 triplegrips.  

Offline king_fish#1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Live To Fish, Fish To Live
« Reply #26 on: Jan 12, 2004, 08:12 PM »
hey fishinut i use that method with out the weight and really lose a fish but i only put on side of the hook in the smelt and thats it and for every one else i watch the spindle when i approach the tip up and if its spinning i run and set the hook but if i come to it and its stopped i wait (sometimes alot of time) and once it starts goin fast not just slowly turnnig i set the hook. only lost 6 fish this year out of 60 or so flags.

Offline Oagie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2004, 10:17 AM »
Just as long as they have taken line out.  If they are directly below the hole, there is a better chance of you pulling the hook out of their mouth.

I wait until the fish runs a second time, or still moving from the first.  Pull the tip up out of the water while the spinner is turning.  Then I just hold the line and let the fish take up the slack.  When I feel the weight, give it a tug.  Hook them every time.

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2004, 10:30 AM »
Hey Oagie how big is that (Pike or musky can't tell) that is in the picture next to your post this morning. WOW he looks big!! What state did you catch him in??

Offline Oagie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 13, 2004, 11:16 AM »
22lbs from Lake Newell in Brooks, AB a couple of years ago.  She looks bigger in the picture because of a little trick.  Hold the fish out at arms length.  The fish is a couple feet closer to the camera than you are.  Thats why I am kneeling, I needed my knee to support her.  That fish pooped me out. :P :P :P

BTW, I dont believe the big bait / big fish theory.  That fish took a 5" smelt.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.