Author Topic: How much electronics before fishing not sporting?  (Read 9477 times)

Online cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How much electronics before fishing not sporting?
« Reply #60 on: Nov 07, 2022, 12:02 PM »
IMO, for me anyway, too many electronics just takes away from the "fun/suspense of the hunt"....and I love electronics. I use a locater and mini-cam, but after I'm done scouting it out, I just use the locater. I usually fish the lakes I know really well, and the structures and spots that support what I'm after. Too much makes it like, pardon the pun, shooting fish in a barrel. I like a little suspense, I don't want to know what's in every xmas present before I open 'em. There's a lot more to it to me than just yanking out as many fish as you can with a 100% success rate. Using your wits and knowledge of the area just makes the catch all that much sweeter.Kinda like that first girlfriend, the chase is half the fun, then comes the reward.  ;) Guess that's middle of the road old school/new tech, that works for me. But whatever works for anyone, go for it. You're out there to enjoy it however you do it.

Feel the same way.  I will use electronics to a point.  I will use a camera to find out what's beneath me, and then its the flasher.  Thought about the new sonar units, but I can't justify the cost and size.  I waited 30 yrs before the size of a cell phone came in a manageable size, so will wait to see how these new finders evolve.  I think that I will still use the flasher - its gotten to the point that I talk to it more than my fishing partner!!
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #61 on: Nov 07, 2022, 01:10 PM »
I think that I will still use the flasher - its gotten to the point that I talk to it more than my fishing partner!!

Perfectly fine, as long it it doesn't talk back to you.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Nov 07, 2022, 01:14 PM »
I talk to it more than my fishing partner!!
Now ain’t that the truth! And the fish!

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Nov 07, 2022, 02:35 PM »
Am I the only one who hears voices when I’m on the ice?  ::)
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Nov 07, 2022, 02:57 PM »
Anyone with more electronics than me isn't sporting  :roflmao: :whistle:

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Nov 07, 2022, 02:58 PM »
If you can afford it and want to use it great. If you can’t, great. If you can afford a decked out skeeter, great. If you can only afford a 14’ tinner, great.

This argument is moot.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #66 on: Nov 07, 2022, 08:02 PM »

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Nov 07, 2022, 08:39 PM »
I started with basic gear and went a few years of buying a new toy or two a year to enhance my experience as I learned that I loved ice fishing. I spent 2 years without a flasher and learned plenty that way. At that point I felt that I wasn’t learning at the same rate and got a flasher. Back to learning again. This year I finally got a livescope and I am very excited to stop burning my cell phone battery in 5 minutes using navi in artic temps. Also learning in real time how to trigger (or repel) fish in a given situation.  I work in front of a computer and agree with the tech fatigue arguement. I also like to get away on these adventures and there are nights when I dream about the vex lights lol. It’s not the tech, it’s how the individual chooses to use it. As I get older I find less time and capable buddies to travel around ice fishing. That’s mean I fish a bit less and my fishing time is more valuable. If livescope allows me to look at map and make better scouting desicions based on results that make my experience more enjoyable. I generally don’t even keep freshwater fish so it’s not about that for me. I just want to make epic memories. Plus it’s freaking cool!

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Nov 11, 2022, 09:33 PM »
Just an easier way to catch them.  Gotta do what makes you happy.

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Nov 13, 2022, 05:01 AM »
Other than a scouting camera for initial setup , really never saw the need to spend more on optics than i did for the winter/ beater p/u truck to get there.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Nov 15, 2022, 01:59 PM »
Just an easier way to catch them.  Gotta do what makes you happy.
Amen Brother! I'm not in any competition! I don't run around showing everybody what I caught. I catch fish because I love to catch fish. As long as it's legal and ethical, I'm good with it. The technology has dramatically helped us learn how to catch far more fish, and added a lot more enjoyment because we are constantly learning and evolving. I don't give a rip if anyone likes it or not. I assure you I'm not going to be rubbing my success in anyone's face so if someone has an opinion on what I'm using and gets butt-hurt over my success maybe they should keep their nose where it belongs. I love the tech. I understand lots of people don't. I'm good with that too. I promise not to show off all the fish I catch! 

Offline cold nose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Nov 17, 2022, 08:02 PM »
After reading the replies i wonder how many would go back to the horse and buggy to get to their fishing destination ?LOL This sounds alot like the compound bow guys mad at  the Cross bow guys , sour grapes if you don't do it my way then you are cheating somehow mentality !

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Dec 06, 2022, 12:56 PM »
I can never understand why these posts keep coming up. Fish with what you like, hunt with what you like and keep your damn mouth shut about what others are doing................. ...none of your business.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #73 on: Dec 06, 2022, 01:39 PM »
Sounds like some are pretty upset by this question or topic, hmmm, wonder why? :whistle:

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #74 on: Dec 06, 2022, 02:58 PM »
To echo most...if it's legal, do what you want. Morally...still up to you.

No amount of electronics is gonna catch fish...they can only find them.

As an old fart, the less I have to walk around to find them...the better.

My buddy just bought a Livescope. The plan? Use it to locate fish however far away. Grab the Vex. Fish a hole or 2. Repeat. Get our limit and go home.

No guilt trip here.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 19, 2022, 11:59 AM »
I am super happy with my Helix 5 and that's about all I can afford. However I'd jump at the chance for Livescope just to maximize my time while fishing. I don't have as many opportunities to get out as I used to, so I want to find productive water ASAP.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 19, 2022, 06:58 PM »
Should I feel guilty getting one of the Roboview underwater drones? Some may have seen it at the MN ice fishing shows. I don't have it yet, they sold out at the Blaine show, and I should get it in a month.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 20, 2022, 07:45 PM »
Should I feel guilty getting one of the Roboview underwater drones? Some may have seen it at the MN ice fishing shows. I don't have it yet, they sold out at the Blaine show, and I should get it in a month.
Never feel guilty buy whatever you want and and of course is legal and to hell with people who say different. People have to mind their own damn business on how OTHER people choose to enjoy the outdoors. Some of the biggest enemies the outdoor community has are those who think that they (Liberals) should dictate what others should buy and use. MIND YOUR OWN DAMN BUSINESS.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Dec 20, 2022, 08:10 PM »
Never feel guilty buy whatever you want and and of course is legal and to hell with people who say different. People have to mind their own damn business on how OTHER people choose to enjoy the outdoors. Some of the biggest enemies the outdoor community has are those who think that they (Liberals) should dictate what others should buy and use. MIND YOUR OWN DAMN BUSINESS.
Lmao, far from a liberal.  It’s called getting lazy and dumb, much like our society these days.  Think the liberals are the the ones taking to this “easy, no brained” technology.  MIND YOUR OWN DAMN BUSINESS AND LIVE FREE SPEECH!!!  Caters to the lazy bunch in my mind.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 21, 2022, 12:43 AM »
Agréé. But guilty!!  In the 70s would be out all day, no shelter, no gas auger, no fish finder. Still caught fish and had a blast! Now sit inside à sheltet, and watch my flasher.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Dec 21, 2022, 08:09 AM »
How does tech lead into politics? Stop with this silliness.  If you enjoy yourself, you are doing it right.  :tipup:

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 21, 2022, 03:00 PM »
How does tech lead into politics? Stop with this silliness.  If you enjoy yourself, you are doing it right.  :tipup:
Politics are a mind set an ideology. If you have read or watched anything on Liberals you will see that they decide what they like and what is right for them................wh ich is fine............. but then they find it necessary to tell you that what they decide is right for them is right for you too. Politics effect every part of you your life...............if you don't see that your not paying attention.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #82 on: Dec 21, 2022, 03:17 PM »
Politics are a mind set an ideology. If you have read or watched anything on Liberals you will see that they decide what they like and what is right for them................wh ich is fine............. but then they find it necessary to tell you that what they decide is right for them is right for you too. Politics effect every part of you your life...............if you don't see that your not paying attention.

Questions of opinion. Nothing to do with politics. Some people like to project their ideas more than others. Use whatever tactics make you happy, as long as they are legal in your area.

Offline theTUGistheDRUG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Dec 22, 2022, 06:56 AM »

You don't have to follow any ideology that you don't like.   Just go fishing.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #84 on: Dec 26, 2022, 06:56 AM »

Someone posted liberal ideaology about society.  I laugh when a single person thinks they can sum up the entirety of a society in a couple words.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #85 on: Dec 26, 2022, 08:35 AM »
Someone posted liberal ideaology about society.  I laugh when a single person thinks they can sum up the entirety of a society in a couple words.

I've got a couple words on society: It's way more complicated than that...
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Dec 26, 2022, 12:53 PM »
For me a flasher is too much tech. Rather not be staring at a screen all day. I have a graph that requires less attention,IMO. It least it gets less from me. Glance at screen, glance at the scenery, at your buds to see if they are getting hits, back at screen etc.
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Splattypus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Dec 26, 2022, 01:06 PM »
Until they start making a device that makes the fish swim right up and jump out of the hole, I don't think anything is too much. Not to say I'm ever going to go the route of the fancy cameras and all that extra stuff, but I won't begrudge anyone who does. Just like your tackle, sled, anything else, it's a tool that can help add to your experience and improve your success. Cheers to the people who use it, and cheers to those who don't.
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Offline rt dak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Dec 26, 2022, 01:59 PM »
For me a flasher is too much tech. Rather not be staring at a screen all day. I have a graph that requires less attention,IMO. It least it gets less from me. Glance at screen, glance at the scenery, at your buds to see if they are getting hits, back at screen etc.

This is how I feel. I stare at screens enough all day as it is, I don't care to be out in nature staring at another screen the whole time. I'm sure I would catch more fish with electronics but I already catch enough to stock the freezer and eat fish until the following ice season so i'll save my money for something else.

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Dec 26, 2022, 03:19 PM »
 I kind of look at it like this you can have all the equipment in the world that doesn't mean you're gonna catch a fish it might tell you a fish around you but it's not gonna get them to bite the hook.  That's where the skill Of presentation trump's electronics all day everyday
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.