Author Topic: Sunglasses  (Read 2529 times)

Offline Dakotablood

• IceShanty Rookie
Sunglasses
« on: Nov 07, 2018, 02:17 AM »
Hey guys n gals,
So I'm looking at getting some new sunglasses I'm curious if anyone has noticed if having polarized glasses messes with seeing their flashers screens at all. Thanks
Hunt hard and Fear no fish!!

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sunglasses
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2018, 05:35 AM »
Dakota, yeah, I always used polarized shades and had trouble seeing my fish finder screen in the summer but I didn't have a lot of trouble seeing my flasher. But, I couldn't see my phone or camera screens. Polarized glasses and LCD screens don't mix. Another problem I had was that I'm old and need cheaters to tie on jigs or bait up or even unhook a fish so I am constantly switching back and forth. I picked up a pair of blue blocker bi-focal sunglasses and I love them. Much more clear, I can see my screens and no switching spec's.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2018, 06:05 AM »
Polarized and LCD sometimes don't play well together. Even the pump screen at the gas station can be a challenge. It's all about the angle and the screen design. If you can't see it rotate your head or the screen just a bit and the image will clear. I do not have any issues with either of my Lowrance units or an H-bird LCD. I wear polarized glasses all year long, glare just kills me.

Here's what happens:

And this is the science to why that sometimes is: https://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/light/Lesson-1/Polarization

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline whiteraven

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2018, 06:39 AM »
I often use polarized shades before sunset. It's the best time, imho.

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2018, 08:35 AM »
I was the op in that thread that was linked.  I ALWAYS wear sunglasses when outside.  I have polarized glasses and ended up buying a Helix 7 and have not had any issues with the screen.  I do have issues with gas pump screens though.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline jwetovick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2018, 08:37 AM »
I wear polarized sunglasses and with the splash cover on my LX7 it plays nasty games with me at times. It workable but at times can be a pain in the arse.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2018, 11:22 AM »
I never buy good sun glasses. I pay $3-$4 at Walmart for the Ozarks brand and were them until I damage them. If I buy $100 Glasses they would last a little longer.
<===Lefty===

Offline piersm2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2018, 12:56 PM »
I paid $200 for my Oakleys.  They spent a winter in a snowbank 5 years ago and found them in the spring.  Put new lenses in them and I still wear them.

I am a believer that when it comes to glasses, you get what you pay for.
Minnesconsin born and raised

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2018, 01:00 PM »
I never buy good sun glasses. I pay $3-$4 at Walmart for the Ozarks brand and were them until I damage them. If I buy $100 Glasses they would last a little longer.

I have 20/10 vision. Cheap sunglasses are just that on my eyes. I cannot afford to skimp on sunglasses when all of my activities are in the outdoors. Add the sun reflection off the ice or white snow and now my ride home is no better than someone who can barely see.
Just add water.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2018, 01:01 PM »
I paid $200 for my Oakleys.  They spent a winter in a snowbank 5 years ago and found them in the spring.  Put new lenses in them and I still wear them.

I am a believer that when it comes to glasses, you get what you pay for.

Another great brand to look at are Native Sunglasses (Nativeyewear)
Just add water.

Offline Hoserman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2018, 01:07 PM »
I have polarized magnetic sunglasses that came with my prescription glasses. I can just pop them off and on in a heartbeat. Love them a lot.
Tried ice fishing with Dynamite, UGH... where's my shanty?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2018, 01:18 PM »
I'm hard on sunglasses. Had a coupla pairs of Costas. Really nice but @ $200 a pop I can't afford to lose any more. Got a pair of Smith and they were OK but not the CDMs. Broke those too.

Since I wear them everyday, all year long, I finally bought some polarized safety glasses (Safety Works 10105404 Safety Glasses Espresso Glare Gone Polarized) from Amazon. Regular about $25 occasionally they drop to about $15. I've always got a couple pairs in "reserve" in case I lose or break. These things are tough! Plus the view is amazingly good, they don't give me a headache like the cheap wavy ones do. You can spend alot more and not do too much better unless you're picky about sporting a brand.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2018, 01:55 PM »
I wore cheap polarized shades for years before buying my first pair of Costas this spring. They are slightly heavier due to the glass lenses, and cost $170 but those are the only 2 negatives I can say about them so far. The clarity and durability is much better than the cheap Wally world garbage I used to buy.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2018, 02:25 PM »
Costa used to have a polycarbonate lens option. They were some lighter but not as scratch resistant as glass.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2018, 02:55 PM »
Sunclouds are  decent, good value. $60-$80 range.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2018, 03:41 PM »
Found a pair of polarized a couple of weeks ago that fit over my bifocals. Gonna give them a try this winter.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Icemole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2018, 07:58 AM »
  For the most part I wear cheapie polarized glasses never had an issue seeing any of my screens(flasher or LCD), however as I age I do have to take them off to tie a lure on(tiny ice jigs I need "readers" anymore).

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Offline Flint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2018, 08:15 AM »
I usually get mine at the welding/industrial supply store. 1.5 bifocal in the bottom and 10-20 bucks.

Offline icehound67

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2018, 08:42 AM »
Flying fisherman sells a pair of polarized glasses with readers built in. Not that I use them, ha ha.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2018, 10:53 AM »
costa 580g.

i think it does affect the screen view on my garmin some but not enough to be with out them.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2018, 01:16 PM »
I bought a pair of Maui Jims last year and the finish is already coming off them. Nice lenses but the frames are junk. I'll be trying Costas next.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 08, 2018, 05:56 PM »
The biggest problem with sunglasses is there is no governing body that controls how manufacturer's label their sunglasses. There are many sunglasses on the shelves that claim to be UV protectant that are not. Being outdoors as often as us anglers are, proper eye protection is a must

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 08, 2018, 06:41 PM »
I'm in and out all day long delivering parts, and I've had a pair of polarized flip-ups for quit awhile. Inside? Flip them up. Outside? Flip 'em down!! Sometimes hard to see the instruments so just flip them up.... @)
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 09, 2018, 05:37 AM »
Costa used to have a polycarbonate lens option. They were some lighter but not as scratch resistant as glass.

They still do, but I don't have pockets deep enough for a pair of $250 sun glasses.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 09, 2018, 06:36 AM »
Flying fisherman sells a pair of polarized glasses with readers built in. Not that I use them, ha ha.

Yet...  ::) :whistle:

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #26 on: Nov 13, 2018, 08:25 AM »
I'm a huge Costa Del Mar guy, I've had them all and they seem to fit right, cut out glare and give me great low-light vision. Expensive, but worth every penny. Personally, the more I spend on glasses, the more conscious I am of where I leave them and how I care for them.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:28 AM »
i got my costa brine 580g on ebay for about $100 2 years ago.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #28 on: Nov 13, 2018, 09:34 AM »
i got my costa brine 580g on ebay for about $100 2 years ago.

When I worked for Gander Mtn, we'd get 60% off on them, now I don't, I shop ebay. Some great deals, you just have to watch out for rip-offs and product that's damaged. I got a pair of Jose's 580Gs from there that came all scratched. Dude took them back and sent another pair that were perfect.

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 13, 2018, 01:30 PM »
i will pay $20 -30 for polarized sunglasses. i break or lose them.  in the portable with the top down i don't need them until i move to the next honeyhole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.