Author Topic: Anyone in the Whitehorse area ever fish seculmen or aishihik lakes  (Read 7942 times)

Offline akair

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone in the Whitehorse area ever fish seculmen or aishihik lakes? Just out of curiosity. My friends and I usually make a yearly trip to new places ice fishing, and those lakes look inviting. We all have arctic ovens , but is there any lodge accomidations on the lake so we can save weight on gear. Also how far does that road go to the lake, I know there is a dam that is at the south end of the lake and there is or was a small village/town at the north end, but is there access and a place to park at the boat launch to the lake at the south end? Any response would be awesome. I'm not meaning to pry but our last escape has been ruined by other fisherman that have no respect for others property,the fish, and a true lake that was a diamond in the rough that has slowly dwindled to a low production lake.   

Offline oso polar

• IceShanty Rookie
Whitehorse is in the Yukon, we have Yellowknife here in the Northwest Territories. 
with patience and perseverance.......you can pee a hole through a rock.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Whitehorse is in the Yukon, we have Yellowknife here in the Northwest Territories.

This is true, but there is no Yukon forum.
So this is as good a place as any to ask.   ;D

PM member Yukoner.
He lives in Whitehorse and may have info for you.

Offline oso polar

• IceShanty Rookie
AKAIR did come to the right place after all, I'm sorry I could be of no help but when it comes to all things ice fishing I have great faith in Drifter's network of contacts. I was not meaning to sound snotty with my earlier post, just a statement of fact.
Tight lines all.
with patience and perseverance.......you can pee a hole through a rock.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
AKAIR did come to the right place after all, I'm sorry I could be of no help but when it comes to all things ice fishing I have great faith in Drifter's network of contacts. I was not meaning to sound snotty with my earlier post, just a statement of fact.
Tight lines all.

;D

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
Akair,

I live in Whitehorse and have fished Sekulmun in the summer.  Friends of mine ice fished there last winter.

The road from the south end of Aishihik to the Aishihik town-site at the north end is rough in summer, but not bad in winter.  Snow clearing is sometimes lacking.  Still, when my friends ice-fished there, they drove to the town site and snow machined from there.  The trail is readily visible in the google earth air photo.

They camped in a wall tent.  The nearest services of any kind are at Otter Falls at the intersection of the Aishihik road with the Alaska Highway.

This reply is obviously a bit slow in arriving, but there's no shortage of ice up here this year!

Offline akwchil

• IceShanty Rookie
Akair,

I live in Whitehorse and have fished Sekulmun in the summer.  Friends of mine ice fished there last winter.

Gorf37 - So you stated some good information but you never said if your friends ever did any good fishing Sekulmun... I mean did they catch any fish?  I've been looking at more lakes to hit up and let me tell you, the only shortage I have is time and money

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
Haha, what a funny web conversation spanning 2 years.  Good thing I still lurk this site!

Akwchil - Yes, it's is a great fishery.  Good enough to merit the travel?  Not really, in that Kluane, Kusawa, or Aishihik will all have as good fishing with much easier access (and likely better potential for record breakers).  If you're looking for adventure though, go for it, that's what we were there for.

Offline akwchil

• IceShanty Rookie
Gof37 thanks for the update I'm glad you still lurk around this site as well... Since I would be traveling from Alaska, it is already enough adventure.  Just looking at trying to find some better than average laker fishing.  I've looked at Aishihik lake a bit and that seems pretty reasonable. I have also looked at Kluane, just not sure how late in the season one can ice fish that, Mid March early April?  no need to drive 500 miles to fall through some ice.

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
Haha, don't know that YT's lakes can offer any laker fishing to beat alaska's, but still happy to see an Alaskan getting some value out of our reciprocal licencing system (cause so many Yukonners fish salmon in the panhandle...)

In late April there was still 4ft on Kusawa last year, I expect that Aishihik and Kluane would be similar.  I would advise you to plan for any time in April with confidence, but obviously the risk of unseasonably warm weather will grow the later you leave it.  Something is seriously wrong if there's an ice shortage here in March.

All these lakes are notorious for wind.  Of course one can get lucky, but I would plan on having a popup hut at minimum.

Offline akwchil

• IceShanty Rookie
Well the reciprocal licensing system is good to know, I did not even know that existed.  Well there is some decent ice laker fishing in AK, but after lots of fishing and a lot more research, the # of lakes in Alaska with access and large lake trout are few and far between.  I already have to drive 7 hours for decent fishing, figured what is another 8 or so hours.  I just figured that the average is probably larger than here.  Possible to break the 30# mark would also probably be at a higher percentage.

Also with ice like that into April that makes for some very awesome fishing weather.  Ahh the Wind, my least favorite element to deal with, but such is life and the things we do for laker fishing.  With 4ft of ice sounds like I better bring the extension for sure.

Thanks again for all the insight, I'll keep checking  back in as well, love to keep seeing and hearing what is going on in the area and other people's success

Will

Offline akair

• IceShanty Rookie
Well its been a while since I've been on, but a couple of buddies and I traveled from Alaska to YT for our usual spring line soaking. Aishiak had promising signs to have big fish, but the numbers weren't there. We fished for a week and we probably caught 30 lakers biggest one maybe being 20lbs. It took us a couple days to just figure out the lake, Its long, deep, and lots of rock structure with sharp drops on the south side of the lake with the north end tappers out quite a bit. Keep in mind that the lake is something like 60 miles long so in by no means did we really figure out how to fish it effectively. Are sonars were once again the most valuable tools when covering that much lake a day. We did find better luck toward the north end of the lake were there were more weeds,   weeds = grayling + whitefish. We did have fair luck around springs that fed into the west side of the lake. I dont think that we even caught a pike, we picked up a few burbot but not many maybe 1 or 2.  PM me if you want to know any details I think that i still have my cheater chart of where, when, size of each catch on the lake.

Offline gorf37

• Team IceShanty Regular
Haha, I'd pay in blood for that chart Akair! :)  I could probably trade you some knowledge about the north end of Kusawa that'd make it worth your while, will PM ya!

Akwchil, I'm remiss in pointing you to Kusawa without mentioning the narrows.  The north basin of that lake has a narrows at its south end that stays open year-round.  It makes for a good fishing spot, but many folks have gone through the ice there.  You should be able to spot the ice fog from miles away, but once you're in the area, proceed with caution!  If you want to fish south of the narrows, there are shore trails on each side, with the main one being on the west side.  Let me know if/when you schedule your trip. I'd be glad to meet up with you at Kusawa for a weekend day or two, and maybe we could try some of Akair's spots on Aishihik (I've never ice-fished Aishihik and have only trolled at the very southern tip in summer).

Offline akwchil

• IceShanty Rookie
Well Akair that sounds pretty promising, big lake, lots of exploring and a good challenge, heck yea sign me up.  I'll shoot you a message as well. Do you and your buddies still go in the spring time?

Offline akwchil

• IceShanty Rookie
AKAir tried to send you another message as the first one you sent was blank... but your inbox is full

Will

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.