The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ICE CREEPERS  (Read 2321 times)

Offline mik

• IceShanty Rookie
ICE CREEPERS
« on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:04 PM »
I looking for information on what to look for in buying quality ice creepers that I need for Ice fishing.. ETC, light weight, durable and price. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ICE CREEPERS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:35 PM »
Kahtoola micro spikes. They are not cheap (50$ ish) but work better than other types I’ve tried. They make you feel really sure footed. I have some yak trax and they are no where near as safe feeling.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:45 PM »
Second vote for the micro spikes. I have size 15 ice boots so it’s a bit of a stretch to get the largest size on. I leave them on the boots all winter to save wear on the rubber trying to get them on and off. Can’t drive in those boots anyways. I got 5 seasons out of my first pair and i’m on season 2 of my second pair.

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:49 PM »
micro spikes. i bought a pair of the knock offs and they are junk. if you can get an older pair that come in the bigger box that says 2012 choice award on it, they are better than the newly issues ones.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2019, 03:50 PM »
Kahtoola microspikes.

Offline Ice-n-Snow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2019, 04:30 PM »
If the soles of your boots are thick enough, screw 3/8 inch hex head sheet metal screws into the bottom of your boots.    I put a dab of silicon on the screw to seal it up a bit.  I screw the studs in at the start of deer season and wear the boots all winter for everything - ice fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, shoveling snow, driving (just not in the house).   

Use a drill with a socket to screw them in.  The traction is awesome and I've never had a leak in three years with the current boots (Bogs Rancher).  The screws weigh almost nothing and you never have to struggle to put the creepers over your boots.

It's not perfect - three or four screws fall out of each boot over the course of the winter.  It can also be slippery walking on tile floors (convenience stores, etc.).  But this setup is so steady on the ice, I feel like I could walk up a wall.   

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2019, 04:46 PM »
I use Stablicers and am quite happy with them.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2019, 05:00 PM »
Kahtoola microspikes.......I think this is my 5th season with them.....had to repair one this year, but at least they can be fixed!

I think I paid $40 at the time.
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline Jschumacher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nothing beats walking on water. Life Member NAFC
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2019, 06:49 PM »
Kahtoola microspikes. You won't go wrong with them. I leave them right on 1 pair of the boots all winter
Hard water Tight lines Flags up. Doesn't get any better than that

Member of the G.O.D.S

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2019, 06:56 PM »
Kahtoola microspikes are the best in my opinion. They run in the 60 to 70 dollar range but are worth it. I keep them on a pair of boots all winter except in deep snow when they aren't needed and change out when I get to the fishing spot.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline Hess

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2019, 04:13 PM »
Micro Spikes are the only way to go!  Easy to put on and they never come off -- a bit pricey, but you can't beat the traction you get -- long lasting, as well -- I have 2 sets and my oldest is at least 5 years old and still good...!

Offline mik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2019, 02:08 PM »
 ;) Thank You all to all that responded! Great info. Thumbs up to all   :thumbsup:

Offline Champlain Islander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2019, 02:28 PM »
I'll add this too. The kahtoola people are great for customer service. I broke a pair last year and they replaced them no questions asked. Great product.
Taught ice fishing for pan fish by one of the best...Art Rye may he RIP

Offline jbrown

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gary Owen
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:03 PM »
Stabilizers. Easy on and comfortable. Tried lots of others these I like the best.

Offline dave b.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • waitin for winter
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:06 PM »
i haved the kahtoola also . love them easy on and off. great grip on the ice

Offline poupster2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:20 PM »
I've had Kahtoola's for 5 years now and they are Fantastic.   But Pricey!
I found these on Amazon: Unigear Traction Cleats Ice Snow Grips with 18 Spikes.
They are very similar to the Microspikes and half the price. $34.
I just received them and will Out on Sunday to try them out!

Offline Bigunit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2019, 03:40 PM »
Kahtoola all the way.  God these things bite the ice!

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2019, 02:58 AM »
Yaxtrax Diamond Grip has been good to me. $29.99 on Amazon

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2019, 05:27 AM »
Kahtoola Microspikes! Highest quality I've found. Looks like after this weekend we won't need them  :'(
Jig em up!

Offline Drygaudet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:25 AM »
Yet another vote for the microspikes check kittery trading post they have promo codes when the Patriots win usually good for 20% off
Tight lines and good times

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:53 AM »
Damn, my microspikes just broke after 1 year.  Well... let's see how Kahtoola does with their warranty.

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2019, 07:58 AM »
yak trax xpr, burned through the other brands . these have bigger spikes so the snow build up underneath has less effect.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #22 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:05 AM »
there are reports of micro spikes dry rotting and breaking and ruining boots.

micro spikes are crazy priced. you can get the same thing for 10-18$ on amazon or ebay if you want to walk on hard plates of steel. the heel plate hurts my heels and i wear 200$ boots. i don't like my micro spikes at all and have two more pairs of the cheaper version  they work the same way except the cheaper version comes with a strap to make sure sticky snow doesn't remove one or both of them and a carry bay.  micro spikes does not come with them nor a carry bag. they want to charge extra 10$ extra for it.

because i can't stand that type of slip protection i use kold kutter ice racing screws in 3/8" and have been super glad i made the switch years ago. you can't wear the micro spikes or cheaper version all of the time like in a suitcase shelter or it will bust up the floor big time.

because of the long length of the spikes, thy will hold snow and that snow will grab more snow and continue until your walking on snow balls and have no slip protection but will be uncomfortable walking on them as the continue to grow bigger. the supper short length of the racing screws that are self cleaning hep with this problem i had with the snow balls on the micro spikes.

once you use the screws you'll have slip protection full time for shoveling snow or what ever your doing outside in winter. i never fell on a lake, but did while shoveling until i added the screws and now i am good full time.

you can get 250 screws for 20$ and have enough to do 4 pairs of boots with spares.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:14 AM »
Until you drive the screws too far and ruin $200 boots by putting 3/8" holes in them, lol!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #24 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:25 AM »
Until you drive the screws too far and ruin $200 boots by putting 3/8" holes in them, lol!
i didn't say what size diameter the screws are. i said how long they are.
i also said i have been using them for years. this will not happen. they are too short for that to happen. they are on 3 pairs of my boots and have been for years. lol!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Jan 15, 2019, 08:36 AM »
I got 1/2” in mine and no leaks , as the rubber is thicker on trans Alaskans
My bud has had them in his for many years and no problems either ,

Offline staggerin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2019, 09:38 PM »
I had the yak Trax ztr's for a long time and I loved them. Now I have hilsound trail crampons. Man they are comfortable and the grip is out of this world
Look at me I can walk on water

Offline Sacospinner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:11 AM »
Eagle claw makes a very similar product to the Kahtoola micro spikes that I purchased at a bait shop because I forgot my kahtoola's at home one day. I've used them a ton over the last 3 years and have had 0 issues. They were half the price of Kahtoola's

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2019, 09:06 AM »
Katoohls have gone way down in quality in my opinion. They still dry crack and break in a few years just like yak traxx but cost 50+ dollars more. Ill stick with the yak traxx pros on amazon for 20$

Offline LittleFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2019, 02:21 PM »
I love my Microspikes. I am extremely sure footed. They are on sale at Bass Pro right now! save about $20 and free shipping

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/kahtoola-microspikes-ice-cleats
Load it, Drive it, Park it
Bait it, Jig it, Hook it
Catch it, Clean it, Cook it
Simply put just get out/ and do it

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.