Author Topic: Hooks  (Read 819 times)

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
Hooks
« on: Jan 06, 2008, 10:21 AM »
What do you like to use?  Long shank, circle, octopus, ect?  What size do you use for what?  This would be for tip-up and handlines.

Ive been at this for years, but Id like to know what other people use to see if Im on the right track.

Thank you.

kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hooks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2008, 10:53 AM »
I use either a 2/0 or 3/0 circle hook on my tip-ups I target bass and use big shiners. I started using these hooks last year and have had good success with them. I don't really set the hook I just grab the line when the fish is running and the hook turns and sets it self usually right where you want it in the corner of the mouth. I catch and release so hook placement is important as to not harm the fish
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline TheSnowman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2008, 11:09 AM »
I always use circle hooks when i'm not using a lure. From the ice to the surf and everything in between.... I might add that I am a catch and release fisherman and love the benefit of them not swallowing the hook although it does happen once in a great while 99% of the time the fish gets lip hooked and lives to swim another day... I don't think I have missed but one fish since I learned how to use them just remember do not set the hook or you will pull it out of their mouth!

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2008, 02:12 PM »
i use #6 octopus hooks on all my tip-ups :tipup:.  Great for hooking northerns, and ling.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.