Author Topic: ? BONE HEAD MOVE ?  (Read 4421 times)

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a method to my madness!
? BONE HEAD MOVE ?
« on: Jan 05, 2008, 12:52 PM »
 Well I really pulled a doozy,
My stupid !@#ss went and pulled the plug on our small chest freezer, in our basement and forgot about it. I did so because I had to use that outlet on a project. Anyways I had a ton of nice blue gill and speck fillets in there, let alone a bunch of the wifey's stuff( oh well). It was unplugged for exactly 4 days! I had 7 packages of fish, luckily frozen in ice blocks ,stacked in a freezer basket. All the other stuff was ruined. When we opened the freezer it was still cold, w/ the only sign of ice coming from the fish, go figure. Immediately I was crushed and filled w/ rage at the realization that all of my first ice slabbers(about 250 fillets) where suffering from lack of frozenness. I dug down to the bottom of the basket of fish, and low and behold the bottom layer of bags had some ice left. Some bags were full of slushy water but all were cold.
  My question to you is would you keep them? I quickly refilled into new bags, w/ water and lightly salted(because thats what I always do) them, and put them into upstairs freezer. They had no foul smell and looked good. Everything else in the freezer was toast (that means no good) and smelled bad.
  I guess I learned my lesson, and will never use that outlet again for any thing but the freezer. There is a case in point for leaving your Freezer in the garage.    Would you keep the fish?
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.
 "As fish go through the water colume, so do the days of our lives".

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ? BONE HEAD MOVE ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2008, 12:58 PM »
kind of hard to say where they soft. Best thing to do would be have the in laws over for dinner if no one gets sick Id say there OK to eat. I did the same thing with a bunch of venison luckly the freezer was so full that every thing stayed frozen
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2008, 12:58 PM »
if the defrosted all the way pitch em
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline joeybutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2008, 01:02 PM »
LETS HAVE A FISH FRY!!! I"LL BRING THE BEER

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2008, 01:24 PM »
kind of hard to say where they soft. Best thing to do would be have the in laws over for dinner if no one gets sick Id say there OK to eat. I did the same thing with a bunch of venison luckly the freezer was so full that every thing stayed frozen
Some were soft not mushy, firm and didn't smell at all. LOL about the in-law thing.
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2008, 01:29 PM »
I would find a chowda recipe on the internet and put it all in kettle for chowder. You can freeze the chowder. You should NOT refreeze anything.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2008, 01:32 PM »
refreeze fish is like a wet paper towel. :sick:

Chowda! Either that or have a big fish fry.

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2008, 01:40 PM »
crap happens.....toss em.  Food poisening from fish is real bad!!!!!!
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2008, 02:56 PM »
yep fish fry call all your buddies and get the pinochle or poker cards out
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2008, 03:00 PM »
If they were still cold, I would eat them, but do not refreeze.
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2008, 04:27 PM »
i wouldnt risk it. you can get really messed up, besides i guess that means you will just have to go fishing some more and refiller up :P

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2008, 06:12 PM »
 I posted this last year on the NY forum. Thought y'all might like to give it a try.

Perch Chowder (or Chowdah)
1 cup each diced (about 1/4" cube)
*potato
*carrot
*celery
*onion
1 can whole kernel corn (drained)
1 can chopped tomatoes
3 cups cubed perch fillets (or more)
3 whole bay leaves
2 Knorr vegetable bullion cubes (extra large cubes)
4-6 cups hot water or fish stock

Put vegetables in pot with bay leaves and boullion cubes, cover with water and bring to a boil...reduce heat and simmer 1 hour (minimum)
Season to taste with: Sea or Kosher salt, black pepper, pinch of Rosemary, dash of Old Bay ( We like lots of pepper...BAM!)

When vegetables are tender add perch and simmer 1/2 hour more

Serve with a topping of grated Romano cheese and a side of Garlic Toast

Substitutes;
*replace perch with any white flesh fish
*replace part of water with canned clam juice
*chopped scallions or leeks for onions

DELISH!
RGFIXIT

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2008, 06:25 PM »
If they were still cold, I would eat them, but do not refreeze.

Ditto...Fish, beef, deer meat, and other meats don't refreeze well. I they were still in slush, there is only one thing to do.........FISH FRY!!!!!!
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2008, 06:30 PM »
If they where still cold,I would refreeze them,if they don't smell bad I think your ok.If they taste bad(strong fishy) pretty much like bar fish,I've had some nasty strong smelling bar fish.( most people that process there own game and fish can smell when something not right)The bottom line is you can refreeze food,grocery store and restarants do it every day.It just doesn't improve your product.

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2008, 06:34 PM »
Throw em! You'll get more! :laugh:
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2008, 07:29 PM »
4 days with the door shut, I would have to say they were probably still good.  If they were still cold, eat them.  I have cleaned a mess of crappies, cleaned them and had the ones I didn't immediately eat, in the fridge for 4 days.  I probably wouldn't recommend re-freezing them though. 

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2008, 10:39 PM »
I did refreeze them as I stated previously, I plan to un thaw them and inspect them carefully, giving them the full
 7 point fry mans complete check-over. I plan to feed them(if Kosher) to many drunken and half oblivious friends of mine next weekend at my 30th birthday party. ;)If they unthaw and smell bad and are mushy(or something is just plain fishy) I wont let them see the graces of my beloved fryer. I'm sure they will be fine and I'll make sure to cook them thoroughly at a consistant temp of 389* F. Thanks to those who responded and even took the time to post recipes, If I die from eating these fish you will inherit all my ice fishing equipment as a good gesture for your concern for my well-being.
        Tight lines and good times all,    Jay

Offline davieb78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2008, 11:36 PM »
You never wanna freeze fish (or any protein for that matter) twice.  If the meat was still cold and firmed, not slimy and stills smells good...invite the boys over for a fry!

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2008, 11:56 PM »
I did refreeze them as I stated previously, I plan to un thaw them and inspect them carefully, giving them the full
 7 point fry mans complete check-over. I plan to feed them(if Kosher) to many drunken and half oblivious friends of mine next weekend at my 30th birthday party. ;)If they unthaw and smell bad and are mushy(or something is just plain fishy) I wont let them see the graces of my beloved fryer. I'm sure they will be fine and I'll make sure to cook them thoroughly at a consistant temp of 389* F. Thanks to those who responded and even took the time to post recipes, If I die from eating these fish you will inherit all my ice fishing equipment as a good gesture for your concern for my well-being.
        Tight lines and good times all,    Jay
You'll be able to tell the friends that are on Iceshanty.  They will be the ones waiting to see the reactions of the people that have the first serving. ;D ;D   If after a while everyone seems fine then they will eat.  Happy birthday in advance.
Travis

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2008, 03:56 PM »
Do you have an ex-wife?

NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com