Author Topic: So I'm thinking Garmin...  (Read 835 times)

Offline Jeffrey

• IceShanty Rookie
So I'm thinking Garmin...
« on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:15 AM »
I'm liking the 73CV ice, can't go Panoptix yet and don't know what transducer would be best.
The high wide or high narrow transducer. What would have better target separation? I fish pan fish and lake trout,
Shallow to deep water from ponds to Lake Superior. I like the idea of Echomaps and future livescope upgrade Any help would be appreciated.
The only thing we learn from history is that, we don't learn from
History! 🇺🇸

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: So I'm thinking Garmin...
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:23 AM »
I'd just go with this bundle:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/633811/pn/010-01893-15#

The bundle with the high wide ducer is a 63cv that will not work with panoptix if you upgrade in the future.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:32 AM »
What's wide and what's narrow? I'm partial to a 12 degree cone.

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:35 AM »
You will need a plus unit to run livescope and certain units to run Panoptix. FYI 👍

I also heard thru the grapevine, how livescope has seperate black box to it. That they will be producing a unit that will have built in black box.

Yup, livescope requires a separate black box. I wouldn't be surprised if their model next year doesn't need a black box.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:42 AM »
As I understand it, the Livescope takes much more computing processor power than either the traditional (duh) and the Panoptix. They chose to make it possible with the separate box and its own processor. If they upgrade processors in the head unit (and probably up prices accordingly) it should work fine.  FYI, the Lowrance version that is coming out is even faster and more expensive and will take a new box to run all the complicated stuff necessary for the Livescope concept.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline kayl

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:44 AM »
As I understand it, the Livescope takes much more computing processor power than either the traditional (duh) and the Panoptix. They chose to make it possible with the separate box and its own processor. If they upgrade processors in the head unit (and probably up prices accordingly) it should work fine.  FYI, the Lowrance version that is coming out is even faster and more expensive and will take a new box to run all the complicated stuff necessary for the Livescope concept.

The Lowrance version is the same as livescope and is the result of a patent sharing agreement that came out of the lawsuit between Lowrance and Garmin a few years ago.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:47 AM »
I understand about the patent cross-license agreement (which is why Humminbird will be in trouble without access to this technology) but the core micro-processors of the Lowrance unit seem to be faster than the Garmin. Same technology, a bit faster and way more expensive, as I understand things.

The patent issue is one of the reasons I finally abandoned my Humminbird and invested in Garmin.

Another reason for getting a Garmin is that Garmin purchased Navionics and their mapping products will become better than the competitors. The units come with 1 free upgrade on the maps. I highly recommend waiting for teh new release next year that will incorporate an updated Navionics.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline mboss13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2018, 08:53 AM »
At the GPS store you can get the 93sv for $599 right now...can't go wrong for that price

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:24 AM »
The GT10HN-IF ducer should work well for you - 8* and 16* cone angles.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.