Author Topic: Found a lost lure, then rescued it through the ice.  (Read 1371 times)

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
Found a lost lure, then rescued it through the ice.
« on: Nov 17, 2017, 12:01 PM »
This is the first time I have done this, but the ice was clear and we saw a spinner somebody lost through the clear ice, so i drilled a hole and scooped it up!  Its in the video below!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Found a lost lure, then rescued it through the ice.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2017, 12:14 PM »
Nice fish!

I am ALWAYS on the lookout for lost tackle, but most of my finds are usually found hanging from trees over the water.
It makes retrieving them a whole lot easier when you can walk over to them and pull them down.

To this day I've probably found and retrieved over a half dozen lures, some being $5-8 stick baits.
(Probably have over $50 in found tackle, including a utility knife/plier combo.)

But I digress....Nice trout!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2017, 12:37 PM »
That's cool.  I never had that happen but it'd be pretty neat to rescue something from the lake. 

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2017, 03:57 PM »
Beautiful fish and nice find on the lure. Picked up a lot of "lost" tackle over the years, used quite a bit of it. Always makes a day better when you find something new.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2017, 04:41 PM »
we had a dry summer/fall.me and a buddy went to the river fishing for summer steelhead from the bank.well 1st cast I lost my raven float to a snag.i was joking and said lets go get my boat to get my float so we did just that.we got the boat uop in the snag and when I looked down I couldn't believe my eyes.there was hotntots working,spinners spinning,spoons wobbling.lol we ended up pulling a massive snag up that contained a fishing net,a anchor and 178 lures out of that snag!it was massive 3 ft tall ball of line barnacles and tons of assorted lures..most couldn't be seen because the where covered in river muck.me and my bud split them in half  and cleaned them up.had 3 pre rapala wiggle warts I sold on ebay for 40.lol heres my half cleaned up

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2017, 05:27 PM »
Wow,DR.  What a haul!! That's a great story!

Offline JiggingIowa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2017, 05:30 PM »
That is one popular snag lol, that is pretty crazy how many lures amassed there.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2017, 06:22 PM »
I believe it all started with the anchor rope.the anchor was under a stump, that snag also contained about 4 pounds of assorted lead sinkers.i magnet fish also and I find all kinds of stuff in the rivers but this was amazing and if the river wasn't super low those trinkets from the deep would still be there.i will check it every year now.lol.ive also recovered 5 anchors.1 was sitting right on top of my anchor when I pulled it up..perfect!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2017, 03:34 AM »
Whoah dang.  I call fishing for lures when I'm not actually fishing.  LOL.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline NEWLEE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then catch 'em
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2017, 09:05 AM »

Good rescue! Great job on the video too.

Offline Meterman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2017, 09:53 AM »
Last winter we were fishing with Arnesen's in one of their houses.   My son fishes with a St. Croix Premiere Gold spring bobber rod as his dead stick.  As you know with the spring bobber rod there is no slack line.  My son was outside cooking brats for lunch when a fish hit the spring bobber rod and before we could react the fish pulled the rod down the hole!   I tied a larger blade spoon with 2 trebles on it to bang the bottom and try to snag the rod or the line to no avail (did catch 3 fish using this contraption though).   We mentioned to the guide about the lost rod on the way in.   The next day we were in another fish house.   Late morning the guide stopped by and delivered my son's lost rod.  He said the fisherman in the previous house caught a walleye and it came up with a stray fishing line.   When they pulled the stray line up, my son's rod came back up through the hole.   On the hook end of the line was a 4-6 pound burbot.   The fisherman that found the rod asked the guide if he knew who lost the rod and wanted it returned to the original owner!  Very nice brotherhood in this ice fishing world.   We did seek out the generous fisherman and thanked him personally.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2017, 10:26 AM »
Great story, Meterman! Nice to hear about the good people in the world instead of just the bad.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2017, 03:32 PM »
Last winter we were fishing with Arnesen's in one of their houses.   My son fishes with a St. Croix Premiere Gold spring bobber rod as his dead stick.  As you know with the spring bobber rod there is no slack line.  My son was outside cooking brats for lunch when a fish hit the spring bobber rod and before we could react the fish pulled the rod down the hole!   I tied a larger blade spoon with 2 trebles on it to bang the bottom and try to snag the rod or the line to no avail (did catch 3 fish using this contraption though).   We mentioned to the guide about the lost rod on the way in.   The next day we were in another fish house.   Late morning the guide stopped by and delivered my son's lost rod.  He said the fisherman in the previous house caught a walleye and it came up with a stray fishing line.   When they pulled the stray line up, my son's rod came back up through the hole.   On the hook end of the line was a 4-6 pound burbot.   The fisherman that found the rod asked the guide if he knew who lost the rod and wanted it returned to the original owner!  Very nice brotherhood in this ice fishing world.   We did seek out the generous fisherman and thanked him
personally.
Good deal getting your gear back! Really great you took the time to find the guy! Probably was not looking for a thank you but I bet he was pretty pleased to get one!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2017, 12:44 AM »
Well I usually pick my lures up from snags for my tackle box, but this was the first time i ever was able to through the ice.  Here is a video of collecting lures on the beach in Valdez, AK

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2017, 10:18 AM »
man wish I could find lures like that..and all them salmon eggs too.salmon populations are getting slim in Michigan and salmon eggs are  my go to bait for float fishing kings,steelhead and browns.i have struggled to get salmon eggs the last few years.great vid..

Offline AndyJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2017, 03:23 PM »
Nice video FJ. It's great to see a family outside and having fun together. Love the drone footage.

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2017, 08:01 AM »
The drone footage is really cool!

Looks like you need to put a set of micro spikes on your Christmas list though  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.