Author Topic: Where should I set my tipups throughout the day?  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Hawkeye97

• IceShanty Rookie
Where should I set my tipups throughout the day?
« on: Jan 23, 2019, 02:47 PM »
Obviously, where the fish are biting, but is there a certain depth/spots in the lake that Pike prefer throughout the day? I know when I'm fishing out of my boat in the summer you can usually catch a couple near the weed lines with a spoon. Just thought I'd see what your guys advice is, as I bought a couple tip up's and have the itch to use them!

Thanks in advance!!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Where should I set my tipups throughout the day?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2019, 06:17 PM »
Each lake that holds pike is different. I have caught pike in water as shallow as 3 feet deep. I have also caught them is water that was 40 feet deep. I have had them hit bait just off the bottom, halfway to the bottom, and just below the ice. Pike are cruising fish that are constantly on the move.  Now I don't know your lake but here is some things I have learned. Pike like weed bed edges. They like to go after bait fish that hide here. If you are over a weedy area, try to set your bait about 1-2 feet above the weeds.  If there are no real weedy areas, look for where streams enter the lake. Bait fish like smelt like to go up these streams, Pike like to ambush them as they come out. Just watch your ice thickness as you drill!  Another tactic that has worked for me is fishing indentations or coves along the shore line. Pike like to herd bait fish into these areas.  I hope this helps you. Good luck.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.