Author Topic: Jigging for smelt  (Read 8593 times)

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jigging for smelt
« on: Nov 29, 2002, 12:21 PM »
I'm thinking about trying some smelt fishing this year around the Ft Ticonderoga, NY area.  WHat type of tactics do you use for catching them through the ice.   I have only netted them when they run in the spring, but I have heard of some people catching bucket-loads through the ice.
I assume I could use the same approach as for perch, where I run a 1/64 oz jig just below a small kastmaster, tipped with a minnow or mousies.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
Re: Jigging for smelt
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2002, 01:02 AM »
I mostly fish for smelt in tidal waters so I don't know if how I fish will work for you, but you can give it a shot! I use 1/32 shad darts with a #12 treble slipped on the hook shank and held in place with a small pcs of rubber band(Similar to a back hook on a bass spinnerbait)plus a punctured can of cat food jigged upstream(nearby).Be sure to chec local regs! Also - night is the best time for smelt I think they are drawn to the light.Good Luck-Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Ice_Spirit

« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2002, 01:13 PM »
You could use a smelt rig.  Its about a 5 or 6 foot leader with a barrell swivel on the top and a snap swivel on the bottom to put a small weight on, it has 7 or 8 little nymphs tied on it spaced out.  This smelt rig is what I use, they come in different colored nymphs and some even glow in the dark.  I've always had great luck with this rig, try it and let me know what you think.  Until next time take care and good luck this season. ;D

Offline Jigmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you ain't jigging you ain't fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2002, 02:39 PM »
Up here in the north we do alot of smelting. I have found that using a 1/2 to 3/4 oz nickle swedish pimple with a stinger line of about 3 or 4 hooks spaced about 4 inches apart will get you down deep real fast and will not spook the smelts. They are very agressive almost like sharks. After you have located a school then everytime you you send your rig down stop about 5' from where you were the last time and the smelts will follow. After a fashion the smelts will be right under the ice and you can remove the pimple. Night fishing is usually the best time but I have had very good luck in the morning or late afternoons also. Good luck and I hope I didn't confuse you to bad!

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2002, 07:47 PM »
stephen,

did you buy your rig or did you make it?  if you bought it, where can i get my hands on one?

and jigmaster, i'm not sure i know what you mean by a stinger line.  i'm assuming you mean you have the pimple on the main line and the 3 or 4 other hooks running off of the main line.  
how exactly do you connect them?- a 3-way swivel?
do you use ice flies or some other kind of bait?

sorry i have so many ?'s, i'm just gettin a little anxious since safe ice is almost here!

Thanks in advance.  tight lines to those of you already on the ice!

Ice_Spirit

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2002, 04:23 PM »
Tommyboy,

The rigs I use to jig for smelt are called "smelt and herring rigs".  I bought a bunch of them a few years back at K-mart and at some local bait shops in the area.  You may want to do the same, also try Walmart seeing how they sell almost all of the same stuff as K-mart.  Let me know how you make out in buying them, if you can't find any let me know and I'll try to help you find some on the internet.  If you do get some rigs let me know how you like jigging with them, I know that I clean house everytime I use them.  Until next time, take care and good luck this season. ;D    

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2003, 05:46 PM »
Stephen,

I think I may have finally found them!!  I was hoping you could give me some feedback on them.  They are the Gamakatsu #'s 62145 and 62146 that are available at: http://www.fish307.com/fish/gama10.htm
Let me know if this is similar to the product that you use, because I cant find anything like it locally.

Thanks.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2003, 08:15 PM »
that Is what he is talking about.  i use them myself to catch herring.  they work for smelt, and also will work for yellow perch - check your regs though, for max hook points per line.

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2003, 06:17 AM »
Hey bigred,

Thanks for the info!  By the way, I see you are from upstate NY, where do you fish for herring?  I never knew they were around here anywhere.

Thanks again.

Ice_Spirit

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2003, 02:04 PM »
Tommyboy,

Those are the ones :), get some and let me know what you think.  Until next time, take care and good luck this season. ;D

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2003, 04:24 PM »
well, i use them for herring in the Hudson river in the spring.  
the herring that i am talking about are blueback herring
they run up from the ocean in may, along with the stripers.  catch a dozen or so, then rig them up live, and use them for the stripers.

by the way, NYS has all the different kind of herrings - lake herring(cisco) and saltwater(true) herrings

AdkGuidesForHire

« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2003, 07:25 PM »
Ti is pretty shallow to get the big schools of smelt. Indian lake is producing more right now.

use a fish call to bring them shallow under the ice and then you can slam them. use steak on a long shank #8 and run as many handlines as allowed with the max number of hook POINTS allowed.

oh, yeah we sell the best most compact fish call shipped direct for $5 incl shipping.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.