Author Topic: Hook Size?  (Read 1983 times)

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hook Size?
« on: Feb 12, 2012, 04:59 PM »
What size hooks do you guys use? I was using 6s last time I went and I had a couple fish that had the bait get pulled out of their mouths. I was using small suckers and larger shiners. I was thinking of moving up a couple hook sizes and keeping the bait the same but I'm not sure how picky they are or should I just move down in bait size..  Any tips are much appreciated :tipup:

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hook Size?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2012, 12:50 AM »
I ice fish mostly deep salt water and I catch a few eelpout.  I caught 2 that were about 8 inches long the other day and they were caught on 4/0 hooks.  The bait was 1/2 smelt.  If I use a whole smelt, I use 2 hooks tied tandem with about 2 to 3 inches between the 4/0 hooks.

Eelpout have a huge mouth.  I would most definitely recommend much larger hooks than size 6.

The hook size depends more on the size of the bait than the size of the fish.  If you fish with the head of a nightcrawler (front 1/3), I guess a size 6 hook would be great but any cut bait will need a much larger hook.

Online slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2012, 03:01 AM »
Typically a size 2 hook will work for most of the one's I've caught, but some of the bigger ones will take a size 2/0 hook.  My bait is typically just a fathead minnow.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline pdolewa

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2012, 04:36 PM »
I just started using size 2 last time I went because of the size of the bait. I'm using small suckers and large shiners. I only got one and the hook did its job. I just wasn't sure how picky they were about hook size I guess they're no lake trout

fbksmtnman

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2012, 02:30 PM »
For our set lines, up here in AK, we have to have 3/4 inch gap between the point/barb and shank of the hook.  When I'm rod and reel fishing I like to use at least a 1/0-3/0 salmon hook. They work pretty well with a decent leader or quality line.

Offline Derik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:53 PM »
My first time out the other night, used size 6 octopus hooks and we landed 5 fish in 2.5 hours.  only two were 18-19 inches, the rest were about 12.  Had two lines that had broken leaders, but i attribute that to the rocky bottom.  I was thinking about moving up to a size for octo hook, but i don't think it will make a difference.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.