Author Topic: Drill reccomendations  (Read 5231 times)

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: Drill reccomendations
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2020, 01:37 PM »
Your budget is gonna be there biggest issue.

You dont need a fuel drill for a 6inch, doesnt have to be brushless if your sticking with a 6" auger.

I've used a ridgid drill with 2.5ah batteries and it lasts a day, maybe 30 holes using a 6 inch nils head.

You want as much torque and highest amperage battery as your budget allow

I went with ridgid for the lifetime warranty
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:28 PM »
Wow, Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am going to try my drill again. If that doesn't work I am going to by the Ryobi that was recommended, seeing as I already have 4 batteries and chargers.

Offline 32footsteps

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:17 AM »
Wow, Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am going to try my drill again. If that doesn't work I am going to by the Ryobi that was recommended, seeing as I already have 4 batteries and chargers.

The model number for the Ryobi brushless is P251. What do you have for batteries? The black lithiums will work ok but they are a bit more sensitive to the cold. The gray HP Lithium batteries are much better. So you still might be investing a little bit of coin into this set up but can keep it under/around $100. Your current drill might be fine so then I’d get a newer battery. Here’s a buy two 3ah battery promo right now where it’s $99 and you’ll get another tool with it...which also includes certain batteries. Or your current batteries might be fine and all you need to do is get the drill. Either way it seems like you are pretty close to having what you need.

Offline jnewcs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 15, 2020, 05:14 PM »
The model number for the Ryobi brushless is P251. What do you have for batteries? The black lithiums will work ok but they are a bit more sensitive to the cold. The gray HP Lithium batteries are much better. So you still might be investing a little bit of coin into this set up but can keep it under/around $100. Your current drill might be fine so then I’d get a newer battery. Here’s a buy two 3ah battery promo right now where it’s $99 and you’ll get another tool with it...which also includes certain batteries. Or your current batteries might be fine and all you need to do is get the drill. Either way it seems like you are pretty close to having what you need.

All the batteries I have are the small 1.8ah ones. But I did see some after market ones for a really fair deal. With good reviews. (for ryobi)

And 'tools direct' is legit? They had a P251 with a big battery and charger for $80. But when I went to look at it again yesterday it was priced at $150.

Thanks for the help

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 16, 2020, 01:11 PM »
your hitachi drill should be able to pound out a few holes.  Its not going to be a worldbeater by any stretch of the imagination but if you drill a few holes a trip, I feel like it should suffice.   I've seen smaller makitas, hitachis, craftsmans on the ice for years turn ice augers.   They don't get very many holes, and most were attached to 6">= bits.   

Go slow. if you can vary the speed pick the lowest speed.   Thats the best thing you can do to get the most use out of a drill. 

lastly do not buy a harbor freight jobby.  it will suffice for hanging pictures but the type of abuse drilling holes does, it will not last long.   Lots of pinch points, main brain in the handle burn out quick.  Its got a good battery but not enough to make up for the mediocre components. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.