Author Topic: Cordless Drill Ice Auger Requirements and Settings.  (Read 4173 times)

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
Definitely one of the most asked questions I get, is what you need in a drill to use it as an ice auger power head. Heres the requirements you need!!! Not all drills are created equal!!!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline OhhDam

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Cordless Drill Ice Auger Requirements and Settings.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2021, 09:34 PM »
Like Button.
Great video. Wish I had seen it last year before getting the Dewalt. On to Ridgid this year.

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2021, 09:38 AM »
DeWalts are awesome drills. Just a little on the small side for auger usage!!
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2021, 10:03 AM »
Nice video
                               Lot of choices

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Ridgid R86116

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs.

No Load RPM Range of 0-550 RPM on S

As for the auger drill unit ..once again lot of choices

All about the blades .1).K-Drill has Chipper style great for dirty ice Slowest and uses more battery ..2)Shaver style blade or Mora type ..Pistol Bit ..HT E-Drill ..Cableas Eze ..pretty fast and can be hand sharpen with some practice ..replacement blades fairly inexpensive . 3) Lazer style blades ..Lite flight .. ..fastest but if used on dirty ice game over ..ie paper weight..replacement blades lil pricey.. I am not familar with the Razr ..but believe they have Lazer style blades .. next is weight ..metal heavier ..composite lighter . Having a center point is a great option ..most hand augers do not ..so skipping on glare ice is quite possible/dangerous . As for the Drill you will be using ..Brushless 725 in/lbs or better with 5ah battery or better..IF YOU GO WITH A UNDER POWERED UNDERTORQUED PICTURE HANGING DRILL SET UP IT WILL BE AN EPIC FAIL EVENTUALLY..Buy the right drill and battery set up .

HT Enterprise E Drill..   Mora/Straight
Eskimo Pistol Bit.......   Mora?Straight
Strikemaster Lite Flite.  Lazer/Curved
K Drill...                      Chipper
Cabelas Eze Drill..........Mora/Straight
Nils.................. ..........$$$
Razr Scout................. .Lazer/Curved

Now for attachments ..lot of choices as well

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=372843.msg4025394#msg4025394

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline TCubed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Columbia Falls, MT
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:19 PM »
Just curious if anyone has tried the new Makita with the 1090in/lb?  Just picked one up and was going to try it this weekend.

Nick

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:41 PM »
Just curious if anyone has tried the new Makita with the 1090in/lb?  Just picked one up and was going to try it this weekend.

Nick
I haven’t heard anything about it!! Didn’t know they made one that big

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:41 PM »
Nice video
                               Lot of choices

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Ridgid R86116

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs.

No Load RPM Range of 0-550 RPM on S

As for the auger drill unit ..once again lot of choices

All about the blades .1).K-Drill has Chipper style great for dirty ice Slowest and uses more battery ..2)Shaver style blade or Mora type ..Pistol Bit ..HT E-Drill ..Cableas Eze ..pretty fast and can be hand sharpen with some practice ..replacement blades fairly inexpensive . 3) Lazer style blades ..Lite flight .. ..fastest but if used on dirty ice game over ..ie paper weight..replacement blades lil pricey.. I am not familar with the Razr ..but believe they have Lazer style blades .. next is weight ..metal heavier ..composite lighter . Having a center point is a great option ..most hand augers do not ..so skipping on glare ice is quite possible/dangerous . As for the Drill you will be using ..Brushless 725 in/lbs or better with 5ah battery or better..IF YOU GO WITH A UNDER POWERED UNDERTORQUED PICTURE HANGING DRILL SET UP IT WILL BE AN EPIC FAIL EVENTUALLY..Buy the right drill and battery set up .

HT Enterprise E Drill..   Mora/Straight
Eskimo Pistol Bit.......   Mora?Straight
Strikemaster Lite Flite.  Lazer/Curved
K Drill...                      Chipper
Cabelas Eze Drill..........Mora/Straight
Nils.................. ..........$$$
Razr Scout................. .Lazer/Curved

Now for attachments ..lot of choices as well

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=372843.msg4025394#msg4025394
Pretty much sums it up!!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:53 PM »
Pretty much sums it up!!

I keep my above post handy as it is probably the most asked question ..your video was through ..I will probably be making reference to your video and/or this post next time its asked . Straight and to the point...as most of your videos are...I am a fan.

Offline TCubed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Columbia Falls, MT
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2021, 12:54 PM »
I haven’t heard anything about it!! Didn’t know they made one that big
It feels nice and its quite a bit shorter and more compact than any of my other Makitas.  XPH07Z is the model

Just picked up a 8 inch pistol bit and the new drill I will give a report after I try it this weekend.

Nick

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2021, 05:56 PM »
I keep my above post handy as it is probably the most asked question ..your video was through ..I will probably be making reference to your video and/or this post next time its asked . Straight and to the point...as most of your videos are...I am a fan.
Exactly why I made this video, I get asked, and see people asking all time about drills. Thanks for checking out the videos, much appreciated.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.